Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

“The Biggest Loser:” Irresponsible Weight Loss Surgery Comments?

I think it's sad that a doctor would make such a statement. I think it is in direct violation of the

Hippocratic Oath (do no harm). Every patient is an individual and each medical decision should be made with that in mind. There is no size fits all for anybody. For a doctor to be engaging in generalizations is cavalier and harmful.

I think it's sad that a doctor would make such a statement. I think it is in direct violation of the

Hippocratic Oath (do no harm). Every patient is an individual and each medical decision should be made with that in mind. There is no size fits all for anybody. For a doctor to be engaging in generalizations is cavalier and harmful.

This was my objection as well. He is allegedly a medical doctor and WLS is medically accepted as a viable treatment for obesity, so for him to disparage it they way he did seems medically unethical.

and most of the biggest losers regain most of there weight.my neighbor did.

and most of the biggest losers regain most of there weight.my neighbor did.

They used to do "where are they now" type episodes every couple of seasons and you would see that many of them did regain some, if not all of the weight. I've noticed they've stopped doing those altogether now and instead just have some of the "veterans" who have managed to keep off most of the weight show up at the season finales.

I would love to see their statistics on all the past season participants on Biggest Loser They will not do this as it defeats what they promote: products and WL camps ($$$)

Truly. Must be over 100+ ex participants around. Could there be a contract clause that they cannot tell about saunas or dehydration etc before weigh ins?or talk about regain?

Wish a legit company would do a true expose on their methods....

FYI I am 8 1/2 year out successful bander I really tried diet and exercise for about 20+ years and feel the up and down dieting contributed to higher weight and feeling defeated every year????very healthy and happy now... And with diet and exercise AND my band... right where I like to be. May we all be so lucky.

I remember reading an article several years back from a former contestant where she talked about some of the strategies for weigh-ins: Water loading, saunas, caffeine, etc. She said they actually weigh-in the morning of on a normal scale in an office with minimal/no clothes.... the big fancy scale on the show is just for show. And then one of the things that really surprised me was learning that a "week" on the show wasn't necessarily a week in real time. Like from the arrival at the ranch to the first weigh-in is more like 2-3 weeks. And then depending on what they have going on for that "week's" challenges and special events, the "weeks" could be more or fewer than 7 actual days between weigh-ins.

I have a lap band and had lost past my goal weight. I started having problems with the band. I found out it was too tight and always had been. I couldn't get most foods down despite following all the rules and having had the band completely unfilled. Despite a band that never functioned properly, I had lost all my weight and kept it off for 6 years. I had exercised much of that time. Eventually, I had gotten too thin and I felt tired all the time. I started eating popcorn, cheetos and other Snacks because that is what I could reliably get down. My weight stopped dropping and started to climb a bit. I retired from a very physically active job and stopped exercising due to some depression because I missed work. That is when I really started to gain some weight back. I gained back to my original goal weight and then another 40 pounds.

I had past success at weight loss but I felt I needed a jump start. I needed to get out of the house and into a new routine. I researched weight loss resorts and found the Biggest Loser Resort in Malibu. There was a sale going on so I pulled out some retirement funds and scheduled a month at the resort at $1900 per week. I lost 14 pounds during the month I was there. I think they had us on a 1600 calorie per day diet. I couldn't eat even half the food because of my band. We literally exercised all day. There was a morning hike of 5-7 miles. You dashed from one workout class to the next. They had really good classes on nutrition too. The program was great. I loved it and really benefited from it. I came home and lost an additional 30 pounds on my own. You have to keep in mind though that I went in at 172 pounds, which isn't that big, so I was able to really work hard and burn a lot of calories there. I noticed that people that were much larger had a hard time keeping up during the workouts and they had a greater tendency to skip out on classes and hide in their rooms. I think the resort was great (the Malibu location closed down in January but there is a non-BLR affiliated resort in the same spot that just opened), if you could afford it, BUT it involves extremely rigorous exercise that isn't sustainable after leaving there. I'm single and retired and I didn't manage to keep it up. I've gained back 20 pounds. I did love it though and would go back there in a heartbeat (to the new place that opened). None of the staff where I went ever criticized or even mentioned WLS. I don't remember whether I had to tell them in the medical history. I didn't tell my fellow guests.

In my opinion, somebody with a lot of weight to lose that has a job and a family to take care of just might need a more permanent solution or a combination of solutions. I can definitely see having WLS and once you find you have good mobility and can do hikes (they have varying levels of difficult including a level hike for those with injured knees) and exercise...go to a fitness resort for motivation, exercise training and fellowship. I made some good friends during my stay. It's a good option if you need a jump start, like I did. Also to add...I'm an introvert and have avoided support groups. The fact that I paid a small fortune to go to the resort made me come out of my shell and talk to the other guests and the trainers.

Edited by Want2surf

It offended me as a newly banded patient, and Your statement about this being such a widely aired show is right on point. A Dr. with this opinion is entitled to it, but voicing it on this show, he can expect debate and criticism, If his statement and the backlash it caused makes people at least do some research and educate themselves about WLS it was worth getting my panties in a bunch over.

Well, Dr. Huizenga's motivations to critisize WLS may lie in his investment and celebrity on Biggest Loser. Biggest Loser is a brand, and right now it's a lucrative brand to be associated with and Dr. Huizenga is profiting from it, even to the extent of opening his own resort style fat ranch, which I'm certain is aimed at a particular wealthy demographic. His views are very single dimensional and ignores the many complexities of mental and physical reasons for weight loss. He has been quoted as citing a study comprised of just 35 subjects, hardly a statistically accurate sampling, for many of his conclusions. Although we might expect him, as an MD, to proffesionally consider other medically accepted options, he chooses to select publications that support his business. I believe Dr Oz has been critisized for questionable claims, seems to be a Hollywood weakness.

In the end, Dr Huizenga can make all the claims he likes, it's a free country, but results speak louder than words. In actuality, he has not found the "magic pill", I therefore suspect his program, or Biggest Loser, is not likely to produce results unlike many studies with thousands of data points, which say diet and exercise has a low statistical success rate vs. WLS. As far as the damage he might do to discourage obese viewers of the show from WLS, I don't think he has the credibility as a TV personality verses a patient having a serious conversation wth their primary doctor or their surgeon.

Edited by vincereautmori

ASMBS (American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery) posted a really nicely done video that I believe provides some awareness to the use of bariatric surgery. I am a Registered Nurse who, in late October had Lap RNY done.

Best thing I could have done for myself. Six weeks after my surgery, I became a Bariatric Program Coordinator to help others on their journey and to quite honestly live and work this journey myself. I've also become a health coach for the same reason.

This video is one of the better ones that I've seen. Please share it:

http://asmbs.org/video-it-starts-today-obesity-surgery-helps-people-reclaim-their-lives

Not only an excellent article but some great additions by people here. Why is it a judgement? Stars get plastic surgery done all the time. That's ok but people helping themselves get healthier isn't?

Not only an excellent article but some great additions by people here. Why is it a judgement? Stars get plastic surgery done all the time. That's ok but people helping themselves get healthier isn't?

That's a great question! I only told family and a few coworkers when i I got banded. They were all very supportive and happy for me. I got "outed" to friends and acquaintences by my ex boyfriend at a party. It's been 8 years but I still get this when I run into neighbors and old friends: "hey you look really good...still got that thing on your stomach keeping you skinny?"

I've yet to figure out why it makes a difference. If they are curious about WLS, fine, ask someones' experiences. Otherwise, its like whether a kid is adopted or not. It doesn't matter. That child is still as much a child of his/her parents as if they were born physically of their parents.