Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need a reality check from others in their 60's. At age 61, I have lost 123 pounds and am now at a healthy weight. Now I really want a panniculectomy & abdominoplasty. I have so much loose skin that it interferes with mobility and looks so horrible to me that it's almost spoiling my enjoyment of my new, healthier body.

I have two problems with going forward with the plastic surgery. Firstly, my insurance will almost certainly refuse to pay for the panniculectomy since I no longer have the infections under my loose skin that would have qualified as a medical necessity. I am having a hard time justifying spending so much money on myself when I am so close to retirement age.

My second serious reservation is that I have already had a breast reduction. It was a five-hour operation and the recovery was more uncomfortable than I expected. I am still having issues and sensations more than two months out. I'm afraid that the Tummy Tuck will be just as bad. I can't take off more than a few weeks from work, and when I'm fatigued and sore, my work suffers.

So what do you all think? Am I crazy to do something so expensive and uncomfortable at my age?

I'm not 60, but I am 52, and I know how I felt about plastics at my age: it didn't matter. If you are in good health and cleared for surgery, I don't think I'd let that influence my decision much. I wouldn't be too sure about the insurance without checking. Mine paid for the abdominoplasty (or at least the panniculectomy, I'm not totally sure). If not, only you can decide about the cost/benefit.

For me, it was worth pain and cost. I had a LOT of plastic surgeries in the past 6 months, and I can say the abdominoplasty was by far the most painful, and 6 months later my muscles are still a little sore some days. I am still swollen, and very numb around the incision. And that surgery made a huge impact in the way I look, in and out of clothes. I'm thrilled with my results, and I'm happy that I did it. I would do it again, even knowing all of that. But I know what you mean - we really do have to consider cost and pain, compared to the outcome. I probably could stand to do a few more things, but for those reasons, not sure if I will. I think it's too soon to make that decision, for me, at least.

The doctor who I will be seeing the 22nd along with the Seminar has on his website that he will do the surgery on the patients HE did the WLS on. I wonder if he does it free and you just pay the hospital costs?!?!

Louise

At 67 I am not concerned over looks just the rash I ALREADY get under my tummy. I am sick of the powder thing 3 or 4 times a day. I am sure it would a lot worse after WLS.

Louise

Definitely will have "body contouring" and probably a face lift also at some point.

I was leeved on June 8 in Tijuana throug ALM (A Lighter Me). They are offering plastic surgery and based on my my experience with them I have no reservations about using them again! I am 62 and a retail store owner. I love my work. When I get to the right place I will get them done as I want to keep working until I am 70 or so.