Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

It's the STRAW!

2 months post op and I tried drinking through a straw.. and bam...guess what?? I am getting in my 64oz and more...one "rule" was not to drink through a straw! But it has helped me tremendously and no issues!!!

I think my Protein Shake would be easier to drink through a straw. I'm too scared to try it, however. I'm only four months out. I was told to at least wait a year.

What's the issue with using a straw, besides the possibility of drinking too much at once? Asks the pre-op new fish.

Haha, the straw was my trick too! I couldn't drink anywhere near enough until I accidentally drank juice with a straw my second week out from surgery. I'm now 16 months out and I always use a straw otherwise drinking is very uncomfortable.

@Garifab_VSG They tell you not to use a straw because for some people it causes gas pain. For others, like myself, it is the only way that we can drink enough Fluid without pain, especially immediately after surgery. I'm probably fine to drink regularly now, but the straw is just part of my routine at this point.

Yes my surgeon stated that it would cause gas..like chewing gum... now I can't chew gum... it's aweful...but the straw treats me way better than drinking normally. I guess it depends on the person! I struggled so hard getting my liquids before.. now ...no struggles at all!

its not just gas, putting extra air into your sleeve stretches the sleeve, which is something you dont want to do. now you know why the straw helps you so much the air makes more room in your sleeve so the liquid goes in easier. there are people who use straws in the maintenance stages etc, but early on, its kind of a bad thing to get your liquids at the expense of why you had the surgery. But that is simply what I have in my guidelines from my surgical team. , " Use of a straw or drinking device (i.e. sipping cup) can cause secondary air buildup, resulting in stretching or over-sizing of the surgical sleeve." Early Stretching of the surgical sleeve will result in reduced weight loss and a lower hunger tolerance."

That's the exact quote off the page.

Good luck with everything.

We can do it!

@@Stevehud I got ya!.. maybe I will be able to stop soon before I stretch it to much! But getting my liquids in is important too..I was so dehydrated and I did not want to risk getting renal failure..I feel so much better and hydrated. haven't felt any difference in hunger yet and I pray I don't! Thanks and keeping my fingers crossed!

Wait, whuuuuut!?!?!?! Drinking through a straw will "stretch" your sleeve?

First, when your stomach is sleeved, the majority of the stretchy part of your stomach is cut out, leaving behind the denser, less stretchy muscle. Your stomach will relax over time as it heals, but it would take a LOT of over eating to stretch out the little fundus that is left behind after surgery. It certainly will not be stretched out by a little air in the tummy.

Second, it's entirely possible to drink through a straw without sucking in any air. I do it with no problem. My doctor, too, gave out a manual that said no straw but it also recommended Water bottles like a camelbac which uses a.....STRAW!!

When I questioned him on that, he said that the manual had a lot of contradictions, and to do what I thought was best.

The reason you don't want air in your stomach is not due to stretching, it's due to discomfort. It hurts to have gas, and we have precious little space in there. If it's air and gas, there is no room for Protein and nutrition.

I would never tell you to go against your doctor's orders, but I certainly advise questioning the absurd. The only way I can get in my liquid is through a straw, so I use one. I am almost two years out and I've used a straw since day 1. Surely I would have done some damage by now if damage were to be done.

I can barely eat 1/2 cup to a full cup in a sitting. No stretching going on here.