Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So. Cal Kaiser Options Program help?

Hi everyone..... I made the decision that I would talk to my doctor about WLS. We talked about the gastric sleeve at my visit this past Thursday. She referred me to the options program offered at Kaiser- Downey and they called me the next day. I have orientation Wednesday. I have absolutely no clue what to expect and I would really appreciate some insight (if any is you would care to share) Especially if you went through Kaiser. Thanks

I went through Kaiser Options at Panorama City. If it is the same in Downey, you will have a 1.5 hour class once a week for three months. Before each class you also weigh in and have your blood pressure taken, if that's a concern for you. The classes themselves are run by either a behaviorist or a nutritionist. You learn all about the surgery and the diet and Vitamins and everything you will need to know post-surgery. They also get you started on a diet right away by giving everyone suggested calorie maximums per day. The goal is for you to lose at least 10% by the end of the 3 months, but that isnt completely mandatory. You will need to turn in workout and diet journals every week. There will also be appointments with a bariatric doctor at the beginning, halfway, and end points. He will request some labs and such and, after you finish classes, approve you for referral to a surgeon. After you are referred to a surgeon (probably at Kaiser West LA) you will be completely done at Downey and actually meet with the surgeon, who will have his own requirements for labs and possibly additional weight loss.

Phew!

I started Options in June, finished classes on September 2, and had surgery on October 14, 2014. That's a little faster than most people because I was in a huge rush and very flexible about surgery dates.

Thank you. That helps a lot. I'm kind of nervous. Not too sure how long the whole process is

I went through Kaiser Options at Panorama City. If it is the same in Downey, you will have a 1.5 hour class once a week for three months. Before each class you also weigh in and have your blood pressure taken, if that's a concern for you. The classes themselves are run by either a behaviorist or a nutritionist. You learn all about the surgery and the diet and Vitamins and everything you will need to know post-surgery. They also get you started on a diet right away by giving everyone suggested calorie maximums per day. The goal is for you to lose at least 10% by the end of the 3 months, but that isnt completely mandatory. You will need to turn in workout and diet journals every week. There will also be appointments with a bariatric doctor at the beginning, halfway, and end points. He will request some labs and such and, after you finish classes, approve you for referral to a surgeon. After you are referred to a surgeon (probably at Kaiser West LA) you will be completely done at Downey and actually meet with the surgeon, who will have his own requirements for labs and possibly additional weight loss.

Phew!

I started Options in June, finished classes on September 2, and had surgery on October 14, 2014. That's a little faster than most people because I was in a huge rush and very flexible about surgery dates.

Hi....I just finished the Options program in Corona (Riverside) Kaiser...Our program took a while because we had three holidays, so during that time--no class...I LOVED the options classes. I learned a lot and met some wonderful people...Anyways, as stated above, they will get your start weight at the orientation, and this is the weight they will use to base your weight loss on...Though the 10% loss of your weight may not be officially required by Kaiser, I have heard different surgeons are picky about it, so in my opinion, why not lose the 10%...It puts you all the more close to your goal, and makes your body more healthy for your upcoming surgical procedure...

After you finish you 12-week class, the case manager nurse will address the class with the next steps....This is a long process, so try to be patient and keep your eye on the prize :) You can plan on at least 6-8 months from now before you will have surgery...They had us do various lab work during the class, and now I'm waiting for them to review my chart so they can determine what addition labs I'll need..They also require a chest X-ray, EKG, and usually an ultrasound within 3 months from your surgery date. Plus, your primary physician needs to complete a physical exam on you within 6 months of your surgery (the time on that could vary depending on the doctor) The surgeon I'll be going to (Dr. Suh), also requires that you attend one of his seminars and at least one support group..They are offered at different times of the month.

I have done my EKG, Chest X-ray, physical. I'm waiting as I said for the case manager to let me know what labs I'll need to complete. After that comes a psychiatric evaluation. (I'm not sure if I'll be seeing the surgeon first of if I can just do this now.) I'm going to call tomorrow and find out. Kaiser seems to be leaning towards doing the psych evaluations outside of kaiser (with an independent therapist usually at the choice of the surgeon).

Then after all that, I will get a call for the surgeon appointment. My goal is to have ALL the requirements done BEFORE I see Dr. Suh so they can give me a surgery date during that appointment. They will not give you the date until all the requirements are met. Oh also, I've been told that if you gain weight from the weigh in at the surgeon's consult, they will cancel the surgery until you lose whatever the surgeon recommends.....

Whewwww, sorry that was so long! I hope the information doesn't discourage you...I wish I would have known what to expect prior to the class. Perhaps if I would have know, I would have been a little more "chill"...Believe me, it's all worth it! It's a process but so worth the end result...

This is officially my 1st post on here...I felt you post was an awesome starting point for me to post :) Best of luck to you!

I should also mention, the process does vary in each different Kaiser location. So, yours may be a little bit different...At least it gives you a general idea :)

oops, you can tell I'm a "newbie"...I meant to copy the quote from "Keysharenee1", not from "easymack63"...LOL, sorry : /

I'm also starting this journey, I'm waiting for a Options class to start that fits my schedule, it won't be until March, I was so anxious at first, trying to do all I could as fast as I could then BAM no class until March, seems sooooo far away. I wish you all the best, can't wait to get this process going.

I'm brand new to Kaiser but the closest locations are La Palma or Anaheim. Can anyone please provide me with there PCP's name and location (I'm willing to travel) because the doctor I chose told me he does not recommend WLS and said I would do better on a Kaiser WL program, even after I told him currently on Weight watchers. My BMI is 38.5 and I have Gout, Gerds and high blood pressure. Any info. Is appreciated!!! Thanks