Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Didn't loose as much as I thought I would at this point .....

I know everyone is different. But I'm 2 weeks post op (VSG) and I've only lost 7 lbs since the surgery. I've lost a total of 17 lbs b/c of the pre op diet but I'm only 7 down in 2 weeks since surgery. First, I am grateful that I've lost any weight at all. And I realize it takes time and that I need to appreciate how far I've come and to be patient. But the main reason for my post is, I'd like to hear from others (early on at 2-3 weeks post op) on how much weight they've lost since surgery? Has anyone else only lost just a few pounds early on or did you loose a lot more in the beginning?

I lost 1.3 pounds my first two weeks post op....that is all! I was soooo frustrated! In fact, I didn't really get in losing groove until about 6 weeks after surgery. Hang in there, follow your plan to the best of your ability and remember that we can't compare ourselves to each other....everyone who works the plan will see the plan work....it might take longer than you thought but it will happen!

I lost 7 pounds the first week and only 0.4 the second week, so I was right where you are. I was frustrated and concerned the same way you are too. But, you know what? A couple months out, it finally sank in that it doesn't matter how fast I lose the weight. This isn't a race. This isn't a diet. When I'd been on diets in the past, I always wanted to lose weight as fast as possible so I would be "done" sooner. This is a whole new ballgame. I'll never be "done" with my sleeve. Whether it takes 6 months or 16 months for me to reach my goal, I will get there and I will stay there. I've now lost 42 pounds since surgery. I have about 40 pounds to go still, but I really am in no hurry. The scale is trending down and that's good enough for me.

There are some advantages to losing weight more slowly, btw. You don't have to replace your clothes as often. You don't have to answer as many questions about how you are losing weight so fast. Your skin has more of a chance to recover and adapt. It's not all bad!

I actually came out of surgery 7 lbs heavier than I was before surgery with all the fluids I received in the hospital. It took me a week just to get back to my pre surgery weight. Be patient, it will come off!

I don't answer this question anymore. It's one of my 2015 new year's resolutions.

:)

Thank you everyone. It was great to read the responses and to know that others are experiencing or have experienced similar weight loss in the beginning. I'm proud of how far I've come. I just had a higher expectation of weight loss at the start. Your responses gave me some perspective and I do feel better.

I was sleeved on 1/16. I lost 15lbs preop, then 7lbs the next two weeks and now the end of week three I lost 8 more. Down a total of 30.

One thing to watch for is that you are getting the requires Protein and calories. Remember your body is in starvation mode under 600 calories.

This question is a real slippery slope. If you hear high numbers you'll wonder why you didn't do so well. I had a nice kick start. So far my pattern seem to be big loss/smaller loss. At my 2 week follow up I lost 26lbs from DOS. then another 6 then 15, then 8. I have another appointment this week so we'll see where that lands me.

I Also lost weight weeks one and two, then went 12 days with nothing. I worried I was doing something wrong. Saw the APN at my clinic and found out they are hoping for 10% of excess weight in the first month. I was at 14% at day 23 post surgery. I realized the numbers don't help. So I'm trying to take a deep breath, put my head down and follow my program. The weight will take care of its self over time. Of course, I pinball between this good outlook and frustration!

That's one of the reasons I don't get weighed unless I go to the doctor. I want to focus on following my program and weighing all the time drives me nuts. I start living for the scale and not for what my body needs.

I lost 5 lbs at my 10 day post op apt. My doctor just said that everybody looses at different paces and not to be worried. Just make sure that I am getting the required Protein and stick to the diet and the weight will come off.

I know everyone is different. But I'm 2 weeks post op (VSG) and I've only lost 7 lbs since the surgery. I've lost a total of 17 lbs b/c of the pre op diet but I'm only 7 down in 2 weeks since surgery. First, I am grateful that I've lost any weight at all. And I realize it takes time and that I need to appreciate how far I've come and to be patient. But the main reason for my post is, I'd like to hear from others (early on at 2-3 weeks post op) on how much weight they've lost since surgery? Has anyone else only lost just a few pounds early on or did you loose a lot more in the beginning?

I to am disappointed on how much I've lost I'm 4 week out and I've not lost 5 lbs in the last two week but I am trying to do everything they say I hope it will come off in time but still wish it would come off faster !!

My dietitian at my clinic in Sydney told me that some people don't loose much post op.....basically because you're not doing much in terms of general activity while your initially recovering. However as I get more active I will probably "fall off the plateau". Getting back to work is usually when things kick off because of a massive calorie deficit compared to what's being consumed. I'm having my op in early April. So I've also not experienced this phenomenon personally.