Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I started to explore the idea of weight loss surgery in 2007. At that point I weighed 320 pounds and had several co-morbidities, but they were manageable. For some reason, I could not get past the idea of having my intestines rearranged. I went to fat farms, weight loss centers, etc. I got my weight down only to have it go back up.

In 2013 I saw a cardiologist who insisted I have surgery. I finally knew that if I wanted to live, I had to lose weight, and that the surgery would be my only way. My diabetes was in bad shape, and I was living in compression socks and taking more and more medication. What I did not notice was that I was losing the vision in my left eye.

In October of 2014, I finally had the surgery. Things started improving immediately. Before the surgery, I had an eye exam that revealed my failing vision. I was referred to an ophthalmologist who prescribed surgery. Eye surgery is not pleasant as you have to be awake for the procedure so they only use a local. The eye problem was a result of high blood pressure and diabetes. There is no doubt about it. The vision in my eye is improving, but I still do not know if my vision will improve, or be correctable with glasses.

If you think you need the surgery, please do not delay. If you have good health but need to lose weight, please remember that the health issues are waiting for you down the road. I didn't have problems until I was past 50. Weight loss for vanity's sake is a good reason for surgery. But at the same time you are pretty much assuring that you will avoid some major health problems.

Good luck as you explore your possibilities.

Best wishes.

AMEN

Your story is exactly why I had surgery last year. I have to be thankful for the co-morbidities (HBP, High cholesterol, sleep apnea, high glucose) since that was what got my insurance company to approve the surgery.......but every condition is GONE at 12 weeks post op. Blood pressure is perfect, cholesterol and glucose are normal and the biPap machine has been returned. I was a low BMI patient (36.1) on day of surgery, but I knew my quality of life and my health were going down the tubes quickly if I didn't have surgery.

@@wildGoose

Have your other health problems improved since surgery?

That is a very sobering forewarning and we all appreciate your sharing. I hope all goes well with your eye treatment.

My personal situation isn't a matter of me having postponed surgery. Instead it's more along the lines of surgery having postponed me. I'm about five months into the process of completing my insurance's qualification hoops, with about another five months to go. Made the decision in August and started the ball rolling from there. If I'm lucky im hoping to have surgery sometime mid or late summer.

If offered, I'd do it tomorrow in a heartbeat, but the insurance controls the rate and speed of travel in this little journey of mine. Your post makes me wonder how many days of healthy living I will have lost if only I'd started the process sooner. You see so many post ops lament that their only regret is not having done it sooner. I've no doubt it will be mine as well.

In June 2014 I was too afraid of surgery that I went and lost almost 50 pounds (255 was my lowest weight) with diet and exercise alone. (I was 21) Then when I turned 22 I started drinking again and getting into old habits and had gained about 15 pounds back (270) it was then I realized that things just weren't going to work and I needed a more drastic restrictive change. (I saw my future in my family medical history. Diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney failure, abbesses/sores, amputated limbs) I did not want that to be me.

Luckily I got insured through my mom's job and within a month I was able to get my surgery without a 6 month diet. (Which I had with the other program anyway).

I was lucky in the fact that while my mother was laid off in Jan 2015 our insurance was still good so I got the go ahead for surgery. I was super nervous they would cancel too!

Now, at 22. I weigh 248.8 as of this morning. I honestly don't even remember the last time I have ever seen that on a scale. 285, 297, and 307 had become normal for me.

I am really glad I went ahead with this surgery and really wish in June 2014 I wasn't such a chicken. I would have been so much further along!