Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Evolution of eating post op

When I met with my surgeon today he mentioned that I should be introducing solids back into my diet by three weeks post. One week liquids, one week, pureed, then on to regular foods. That sounded really fast to me.

How long before you were eating regular foods? Does this sound fast??

I'm about 4 weeks postop and still on purred liquids and a few mushies. I'm pretty new to this obviously but I think it is very individual. Some eat right away, some are on liquids for 4 weeks.

I tried mushy foods at 2.5 weeks and kept vomiting it right back up. And then, since I irritated my new tiny stomach I started vomiting liquids. I had to re-group, go back to liquids, and start all over.

My doc said if I vomit or get real naseaous it is one of 3 things.

Ate too fast

Ate too much

Introduced a food too soon.

When they say stop eating at the 1st sign of fullness they were right. A few times I think I ate a few bites more and it all came back up immediately.

Being a slow learner, now I take a small sip or bite, wait and see how it feels. Then try another and wait. And now I stop long before I feel full. I can always eat a little more later. The amount of mushy food I can eat is very little. A few table spoons, bite-wait. Bite-wait, can take 10+ minutes to eat. So WEIRD compared to the huge amount I used to inhale! It is so different.

I had 1 week liquids 2 weeks purées. Next was 2 weeks soft solids. At 6 weeks I'm now on regular foods and my nut wants me to work on getting in more roughage and dense Proteins.

I'm fortunate I haven't had problems with any food yet. I focus on small bites, chewing well and making sure that all food is moist. This is particularly important as the Protein has gotten denser. chicken breast is much harder to get down if it is overcooked and dry!

Edited by Debbie Jean

I did start incorporating solids at 3 weeks - but soft solids like fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, soft-cooked veggies, etc. Each new food I introduced, I just took it slow - took one bite and waited a little to see how I felt. I actually never had any issues with any foods, but I was nervous early on, so I agree it's good to be cautious. I received detailed instructions - I think I was told to wait 3 months to eat salads and raw veggies and maybe 6 weeks or so for beef.

That seems fast to me. My advise would be to try to follow your surgeon's recommendations, but be prepared to slow down and go back a step if necessary. I didn't start solids until 40 days post-op. Purees were 18 days post-op. And soft foods were 28 days post-op.

I'm six months out and just now got clearance for all foods. I was still on restriction for pork, beef, and 'fibrous' veggies. Every surgeon/nutritionist has a different plan. However, everything on the plan is "as tolerated." If you try a new food, eat very small bites, chew alot, and listen to your body. If your Frankensleeve doesn't like a food this week, it might next week!

Take it slow as you have the rest of your (likely now LONGER) life to get back to 'regular' foods.

My plan is here: http://www.360bariatrics.com/360-process/bariatric-diets/

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Yours is just like mine. One week for each phase.

Just because your doctor says you CAN doesn't mean you have to. Go at your own pace.

I was two weeks liquid, two weeks pureed, two weeks soft, and released for food at 6 weeks.

Instead I was two weeks liquid, 3 weeks pureed (able to go through a strainer), 3 weeks REALLY soft, 3 weeks soft. I didn't eat "real foods" until a bit past three months. I also have a stricture, so...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches