Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me narrow these surgeons down. Here is what I am looking for. I wish I could afford Dr. Jorge Servino at Hospital Galenia in Cancun but $9,850...($4,000 over my budget). I have tried really hard to research and now need opinions and experiences, and pricing - please help...:

Looking for great Surgeon and Great Hospital in Mexico:

- Sleeve (33/34 BMI)

- Self Pay ($6,000 budget +/-)

- Accredited Hospital by JCI (Joint Commission International) (screen grab attached with list of hospitals)

- Low complications rate – hard to know in Mexico…

- Great results and reviews

- Preferably taught or practiced in the US

- Prefer no Hotel Stays

- Prefer Cancun (East Coast & Safer) at Hospital Galenia – highly accredited (ie. Dr Trevino but $9,850)

- Speak great English or followed by a translator nurse

Here are the Surgeons I’ve Narrowed down to:

- Dr Alberto Aceves (Mexicali Bariatric/GSS Gastric Sleeve Surgeon)

- Dr Ariel Ortiz Obesity Control Center (OCC )

- Dr Elias Ortiz A lighter Me (ALM)

- Dr. Mauricio Gutierrez (TrinityMedical.org)

- Dr Quinones (Weightlosswithsurgery.com)

- Dr Jorge M. Trevino – Too expensive for me. Finding out if they offer financing for balance

- Dr. Gilberto Ungson (Mexicali Bariatric)

- Fernando Garcia Govea – (Ready 4achange.com)

Thank you for any help and advice you can offer!!

post-247352-0-87718700-1423326612_thumb.png

post-247352-0-25767400-1423326615_thumb.png

Thanks Rocky1. This is great information. I look forward to finding more about Dr Juan Corvala. You've definitely done your homework I appreciate your sharing it. I'm surprised I hadn't come across his name. Maybe the cost is a little more so people haven't chosen him for that reason so his name isn't out there as much? I don't mind spending more in such a case but still have a budget. If there is financing for the balance that is not in my budget I will choose the best choice at the best facility then. Can I ask you what you the cost for your sleeve including 3 hospital nights (is that their norm) and included in the fee? So they don't send you to the hotel to recuperate like most do?

Are you saying the Angeles can handle PE? When is your surgery?

Here are the other hospitals in Mexico that are JCI accredited:

• Hospital Angeles Valle Oriente
  • Hospital CIMA Chihuahua
  • Hospital Galenia
  • Médica Sur S.A.B. de C.V.
  • The American British Cowdray Medical Center IAP - Observatorio Campus
  • The American British Cowdray Medical Center IAP - Santa Fe Ca

Thansks again

So Hospital Angeles Tijuana is not yet JCI accredited but it is becoming JCI accredited? Can you show me this information.

I am using Dr Elias Ortiz. I am scheduled for March 2. I have been a nurse for 27 working in the ICU. I have read the reviews and Dr Ortiz's qualifications. I am very confident that I am making the right choice. Good luck in your search.. and good luck with your surgery!

Hi where is Dr. Ortiz and what are you having done? thank you I am thinking of going to Mexico

I am using Dr Elias Ortiz. I am scheduled for March 2. I have been a nurse for 27 working in the ICU. I have read the reviews and Dr Ortiz's qualifications. I am very confident that I am making the right choice. Good luck in your search.. and good luck with your surgery!

I am a little confused about how to reply to each here....so am replying to both Rocky1 and Patricia. I don't see a reply button on your posts Rocky1...??

Patricia,

Thank you, I am so glad to have a long time nurses input since you have spent so much time in a hospital environment. Are you satisified with Mi hospital. I understand that is where Dr Elias Ortiz operates. I have not done much research on that hospital. Do you know if it has ICU, fully active staffed ER,MRI, CT scan, interventional radiology suite, etc?

Rocky1,

Excellent. I think I have narrowed down the list and with Corvala being at the top. I wish there were more surgeons of this level in Cancun at Galenia which is listed as JCI Accredited. I am on the East Coast and cross country travel is not what I am looking for after surgery. Its a huge trip after all is said and done.

So I'm assuming Angeles in Tijuana have: fully active staffed ER, MRI, CT scan, interventional radiology suite, etc..

Why did you eliminate Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the Center of Excellence facility... surgeons history? Just curious.

What do you think about the Sleeve Plication. Did you choose the sleeve due to suture leaks, lack of history, or gherlin gland?

I am having my surgery done at Mi hospital in Tijuana. It is fully serviced hospital... as earlier described. It is no different than other surgical centers in the US. I am not choosing the hospital, but the doctor and in my search, Dr Elias Ortiz, performs the surgery I want. He not only staples but over sews the staple line. He and his staff have been more than up front with expectations and risks. I understand that the hospital may not have all the bells and whistles of a major medical center in the States. Further, his reviews on this site and others come across as genuine and positive. I have yet to read a negative review on him. I will gladly update on the results of my surgery and add first hand comments to the care I receive at the hospital. I wish you all the best in making your decision to pursue a healthier you.

Hosp Angeles is a true service hospital like the US.

Sleeve plication- Corvala did the first plication in Mexico and has lectured and published articles on it. He has trained many US surgeons on it.

I asked about it and was told that he recommended the gastric sleeve for me.

Ariel Ortiz is a superb FACS surgeon at a Center of Excellence and similar cost to what I will be paying.

I would have no problem whatsoever having him perform the procedure but there were 2 reasons why I did not choose him:

1. Not a full service hospital.

2. They wrote me that the doctor never had a leak, PE, death, infection, etc.... This is not accurate and impossible and turned me off although the hospital issue was the primary reason.

A nurse on another site wrote that MI was decent but the ICU was a small room with a crash cart which is not what we expect for an ICU at home. I do not know if MI has a real full time active ER. It seems to be more comparable to a large surgical center in the US. Not sure which certifications they have.

Fortunately, we have several good choices.

Other fine surgeons in Mexico are Rumbaut (Monterrey), Alvarez in Piedras Negras. Dr. rodriguez performs most of his surgery in Juarez but I personally would never go there.

Ok...thank you! One more question.... I was considering Louisiana Venezuela who studied under Corvala for two years and she has preformed 2500 surgeries but only accepts 3 per day. She claims to have "no complications in 2014". I can't understand the chart but it looks like there are a few...She also operates out of Mi hospital like Elias Ortiz. . Would you happen to know how many surgeries Dr Corvala performs per day?

I am having my surgery done at Mi hospital in Tijuana. It is fully serviced hospital... as earlier described. It is no different than other surgical centers in the US. I am not choosing the hospital, but the doctor and in my search, Dr Elias Ortiz, performs the surgery I want. He not only staples but over sews the staple line. He and his staff have been more than up front with expectations and risks. I understand that the hospital may not have all the bells and whistles of a major medical center in the States. Further, his reviews on this site and others come across as genuine and positive. I have yet to read a negative review on him. I will gladly update on the results of my surgery and add first hand comments to the care I receive at the hospital. I wish you all the best in making your decision to pursue a healthier you.

Thank you, I have considered two surgeons Ortiz and Valenzuela who operate at Mi. Have you more understanding of the ICU and if it is run as a full service full time hospital? I am not in the know on this particular topic.

Mi hospital has a 2 bed ICU (again no different than most US Surgical Centers) and has an in house radiology, endoscopy and modern sterilization facilities. These are questions I asked my patient coordinator and Dr Elias. Hope this helps... Good luck

Who ever you choose.. I look forward to hearing about your successful surgery!!!

Juan Corvala at Hosp Angeles.

I am all booked, plane tickets are purchased, my stash of meds and clear Protein packed, follow up psychologist and bariatric surgeon selected at home and time will tell. I am sure my anxiety and second thoughts will kick in as the surgery date looks closer.

I pray that the sleeve will be the tool I have been missing for most of my life.

Hey Rocky1, I am booked with Dr Corvala at Angeles! I am starting a new job so had to do this within a 2 week period and am set for surgery on Feb 19th. Do you know anyone that is going at around that time?

I want to thank you for all your help. I will keep you posted. Evidently his prices is going up $500 on any new surgeries booked as of this Saturday. I am worried though about clots flying back at the 4 1/2 day point (11pm Feb 23rd (back on morning Feb 24th.

What clear Protein packs are your bringing along? Any other advice?

I am going to start reviewing other posts of people that have published their step by step experiences with the sleeve, maybe even Dr Corvala's patients... I'm sure I'll find alot of that here. I should be prepared for what I would not expect so I am totally scared with each unexpected pain, etc...I've had surgeries before and know some of the things to expect though.

Thanks again. Keep me posted on yours too.

First of all congrats on your upcoming surgery. Mine is in May. I am not shocked that the prices are going up since the hospital is world class. Almater Hosp surgeons charge even more. You truly get what you pay for. There is a huge difference between Hosp Angeles and all the other TJ hospitals other than Almater.

Protein- Dr. Janine wants clear Protein for 1 week, preferably the very clear premixed drinks like Isopure Zero or Cytosmart which are both sold at the Vitamin shoppe. I will pack these in a small check in piece of luggage with some other stuff. I plan to leave this suitcase in TJ with all of my extras.

Dr Janine said that the following packets were acceptable: Unflavored Or chicken broth by powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury or other plain unflavored whey Protein isolate for the first week.

Pulmonary Embolism/ DVT/ blood clots- I was very impressed by their pevention protocol. They will use SCD boots which are automatic sequential compression devices during and post surgery. Try finding these in the other TJ hospitals. This is standard of care in the US for most invasive procedures. They will discharge you with 6 syringes of an anti clot injectable to be used each day. Flying so soon after surgery puts all patients at a higher risk for a PE. None of the other surgeons I contacted had such a comprehensive plan. They have a hospital pharmacy where you can purchase the medications. I am bringing my own except for the syringe medication.

I have researched this surgery obsessively and wish I could get it taken care of sooner than May.

Also ,

Pain meds- Dr Corvala assured me that the paint cocktail he uses is highly successful, but just in case they have narcotic pain meds only if needed. I am bringing my own as back up for the hotel and flying home.

Does he send you home with pain meds, I know you can get over the counter meds there that are usually perscription here and for a fraction of the cost.

It must be a lot of anticipation to wait so long for you...It must not be easy when you're so ready... I am too excited but nervous about some of the post-surgery issues like pain during return flight, blood clot fear on the flight home, but I'm taking the red-eye so hope to sleep most of the time. I hear I should wear compression stockings afterwards.

I worry about nausea, Constipation, and dehydration. The fear of dehydration is a big fear of mine and I know I'm going to worry about leakage ongoing...for sure. At one point I'll learn to trust that not happening.

I heard of a story where a nurse went into pulmonary distress after surgery. But was just caused by dehydration. Now I know and will be extra careful,. I am not great at consistancy and drinking Water every 15 - 20 minutes will take getting used to.

ARIEL ORTIZ, MD, for sure. He has a great reputation in the field and among colleagues.