Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No interest in food?

One of my friends at work presumed that since being banded, I'm no longer interested in food. I tried to explain to her that I was VERY interested in food. And more that that, I am enjoying food in a way I didn't before being banded.

When I was obese, the point was to eat till I was full. I tasted the food but not really...it was all about the amount of it, and the way I felt holding a big bowl of Pasta. I anesthetized with food but as soon as I was done, I knew nothing had changed. I still was dealing with whatever crap was going on in my life and all I had done was eat more than I needed to yet again.

Now, I enjoy food for what it is. To suppress hunger...to enjoy as a social activity, to taste and experience it but not to lose control over it. Food is a much better experience now because it's part of my life, and not the focus of my life.

I know some of you say that food is no longer a focus for you but I just wanted to note that it still is for me...but in a better, healthier way.

Always heard "I eat to live, not live to eat. " never really got that statement, but I'm starting to understand it.

Just lost my post -- so irritating to tap it out again. I am happy to report that I still love food. I am so much less eating-disordered now that I know what hunger and satiety feel like -- having the band gives me the ability to make good choices because I'm not in a place of desperation. My appetite is not controlling me. Tonight as we anticipate yet another storm I felt like baking. I turned out three little gluten free beauties -- small vanilla loaves with cacao nibs. They are cooling and I honestly have no desire for a piece (if I do, I'll have a little!). It was enough for me to make them. And I am a sucker for presentation so serving them will be a pleasure as well. Here's to a healthy relationship with food!

I've been leaving food on my plate or boxing it up to go almost every time I've eaten in a restaurant for the last few weeks. Although it's not radical or brand new behavior, doing it effortlessly and without mulling it over certainly is.

Stopping at "enough". What a concept.

A year ago I couldn't imagine that I'd be able to stop at "enough" without anxiety. This is amazing.

We be dainty!

I enjoy going out to eat with friends now, and being the only one who leaves half the food on my plate while they clean theirs. I never even noticed before how much volume OTHER people eat, and I mean all types of people--male, female, old, young, fat, thin, vegetarian or meat eaters. They finish everything. I notice because now that I am less focused on my meal I actually look up from my plate!

I also have solved the mystery of how I got so fat in the first place. I was eating too much food. Sounds so simple but it really was a revolutionary insight.

We just got back from Cancun Mexico, trip paid for by my company.

The food was not that good, and everyone did was complain....

Since food does not interest me, I could have cared less if it was good or bad because I just as soon get along without it.

And since I never experience real hunger anymore, I was not bothered.

I was a little upset I could not get my daily Protein requirement. But for 5 days it's not going to kill me.

And I was out running my 5 miles every morning at 5am so I lost weight. But I expect that may not be a good weight loss.

I'll know tomorrow when I get back to the gym and really weight myself.

It is really nice not to be a slave to things like that, where it runs your life....not the other way around.

B52, I went to Cancun years ago and the food was terrible. I am like you I doubt I would care now but getting Protein is a problem. going on a cruise in Aug to Alaska I am hoping the buffets and dinners have enough Protein in them. I am finally getting to the point where leaving food doesn't bother me . I try not to eat out much anyway. Had to eat at Cracker Barrell yesterday, ordered a bowl of Beans. Ate half and left the rest.

B52, I went to Cancun years ago and the food was terrible. I am like you I doubt I would care now but getting Protein is a problem. going on a cruise in Aug to Alaska I am hoping the buffets and dinners have enough Protein in them. I am finally getting to the point where leaving food doesn't bother me . I try not to eat out much anyway. Had to eat at Cracker Barrell yesterday, ordered a bowl of Beans. Ate half and left the rest.

You'll be fine on the cruise @Sharpie. When I was on my cruise last summer, there was plenty of protein and plenty of good choices. I actually lost a half a pound that week. Enjoy!

Good to know Liz, I had gone to the Bahamas' many years ago on a cruise but was lots younger and lots skinnier so I wasn't concerned about gaining weight. When hubby and I got married 39 years ago I weighed 93 lbs.. lol so,, we will be going to Alaska and I am back down to 127. so maybe by then I will be down more. I'm not stressing too much because I have been to all kinds of parties, family gatherings and the holidays and didn't gain.