Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My husband and I began the VSG journey together back in April of 2014. His surgery was done in November 2014, I just had mine on 1/15/15. I'm just three weeks out, but because I truly believed I'd be having my surgery sometime in November as well, I begain the liquid diet prep on 10/24/14 with my husband and just stayed on it until my surgery in January. As a result, I was down 35 pounds before I had the surgery, which was a great way to begin this very new way of life. I was already used to small portions and dealing with head hunger vs. real hunger, etc.

That said, I got such a jump start with the liquid diet, and my body lost quite a bit of weight, pretty fast, now it's "adjusting" and stalling a bit, because I started at 249 back in April, was 203 the day of surgery, and as of today, I am 190. Even as I write this, I should just shut up and be happy! It's progress, not perfection.

What is awesome? I've gone from a plus size 18-20/20-22 to a regular misses size 10. I both look and feel like a different person already. No more joint pain. Little to no need for a daily nap (except weekends...because hey...why not?). I can climb stairs like a boss! No huffin and puffin. I am on 1/2 the prescription meds I was on before and looking forward to taking even less. I've kicked obesity in the ass!

Having my husband on this journey of committed nutrition, exercise and life changes is the biggest blessing. We were fat eating buddies for 10 years and we had a lot of fun, until we weren't, because we were getting older, fatter and fatigued. We are discovering each other in new ways...and we are very excited for each other's success and achievements. It's been a fantastic experience and given our life together a whole new level of blessings.

Congrats to you both! I wish I would have done this earlier too. Seems like the main complaint of so many of us :)

Its great to have a partner in this journey. While I struggled with weight most of my life, my wife has always been slim. She loves to cook and enjoys her delicious meals. She eats her ice creams and cakes and would skip the next meal to make up for it.

Congratulations on the positive attitudes and teamwork! Sounds like things are going great!

Congratulations on your successes! I was excited to read your experience as my husband and I are doing this together as well. His surgery is this coming Wednesday 2/11/15 and mine will be 2 weeks later! I'm sure going through this life changing experience is much easier with your life partner! We are nervous but excited to be on the "sleeved" side and moving on with life! Keep us posted on your progress!

Just got my bloodwork results back from my doctor...and this is only 1 month post surgery...but my numbers have improved big time!

Total Cholesterol was 194, is now 169 (ideal is below 200)

LDL was 113, is now 107 (ideal is below 100)

Triglycerides was 190, is now 99 (below 150 is ideal)

HDL was 43, is now 42 (THIS NEEDS TO GET BETTER, Above 60 is ideal)

Fasting sugars were 105, are now 81 (YAHOO! My risk for diabetes has gone down substantially)

So now I just have to get that HDL above 60, my LDL a few more points down below 99, and keep working to get my fasting sugars a bit lower and I'll be in pretty good shape. But my doctor told me beforehand not to expect much since it's only a month out from surgery. That I should see a great improvement in 3-6 months from now. So I'm pretty stoked that they are as good as they are already. My genetic risk for diabetes and heart disease is big, so I'm very happy to get into healthy ranges. Weight is down 53 pounds...another 30-35 to go to reach my goal. As I now say...onward and DOWNWARD! ;)

Edited by mialoveslenny