Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got banded in Springfield MO??

did anyone's insurance pay for the band? If so... How much did they pay for and what was your total cost out of pocket? For self pay.... After all the appointments (right before scheduling surgery) how much did u have to pay?? Thanks guys!!!

Hollygurl - My insurance paid but I had to pay $1300 (approximately) because I have a deductible and co-insurance...that was the amount that I needed to meet my co-insurance so they would start paying 100%.

Hi Linda,

Hi Kathy.......

AND EVERYONE!

I have been to a couple of support group meetings, and I would not say they have ever been "BIG groups"... last time was only 6 of us? Some times I've seen more.. but, never so many I became uncomfortable. Also, knowing we're all there for the same reasons, is comforting to my self conscience issues too. maybe I'll meet you at one soon? Good luck. Kimberly

I have to agree with Kimberly...there have been less people in support group meetings than at the behavioral class. And, if it does turn out to be a big crowd, Katie usually splits everyone up into two groups 1/2 way through - band and bypass.

hello everyone,

Sorry its been quite awhile since I've been on here - but have enjoyed reading everyones posts. I've just been really low and discouraged. I had surgery on December 17th, have had 2 fills with the 3rd scheduled next week, and weigh 1 pound more than I did when I went in in for surgery. I have returned to the old way of taking diet pills to control my appetite - but I'm starved all the time and can eat anything with no restriction. I feel like I am on a very strict diet (which has never worked in the past). I don't seem to see anyone else having these problems, so is it possible my surgery was a failure? I'd sure hate to think I spent $17000.00 for NOTHING!! Never in any of the meetings I attended did I hear that this might not work, especially if I was doing everything I am supposed to be doing? I thought there was finally light at the end of the tunnel - but maybe not???

Anyone got any advice? I don't mean to be a grumbler and sure don't want to discourage anyone who hasn't yet had the surgery, but I don't know where else to turn.

HELP!!!

Grannyk - I'm sorry you are having such a time at this. Here are some thoughts:

1) I just got my 4th fill on Feb. 27th and I'm FINALLY feeling restriction. After my 3rd fill, I felt restriction in the morning, but after about 1:00 in the afternoon it was a free for all. Now, I feel restriction at all times of the day - some days more than others.

2) I vented to the guy at Healthy Weight Supermarket one day about not losing any weight in about a month and how I had this horrible cycle of needing something sweet and then something salty, and how I was always hungry (head hunger). He said (and it makes perfect sense) that I'm eating things that really have no nutritional value and my body is craving those nutrients so I'm searching for those on that horrible sweet/salty cycle. He said that I needed to make sure to get my Protein and eat things that were high in Protein and other nutrients that we need and that would help the "head hunger" issue. So, I tried it his way and it worked! I always have Protein drinks for Breakfast so that wasn't an issue but, I started having a Protein Bar for a snack a couple of hours after my Breakfast and I even tried some of their "chips" for the salty/crunchy need (some were good and some not)...NO head hunger whatsoever on that day! On other days (and probably that day too) I've been eating stuff like tuna and salmon in the little pouches (right out of the pouch) and yogurt. When I eat this way, the head hunger is not there and I actually feel full.

Sorry for the length of that but, hopefully it helps a little.

I was still hoping to be banded by the end of the month, but Dr Edwards is on vacation till 4/1. I'll see him then for my final consult and get my surgery date.

He must take the same time every year... last year my surgery would have been March/end... he was Out of the office so I was his first patient April-2-07. lol Maybe you'll be right at April/begin? Good luck and let us know.

HOLLYGURL= I've just been approved by my insc. They're paying 75% & my co-pay is 25% for surgery and all related cost. But I understand this is not the norm. JohnC

OMG- I finally did it... I put in some before and in progress pics. Today they are located on Pics thread as permalink # 1184 and 1185. I don't know how to directly link to that sorry.

OMG- I finally did it... I put in some before and in progress pics. Today they are located on Pics thread as permalink # 1184 and 1185. I don't know how to directly link to that sorry.

You're looking fabulous! You're an inspiration to all of us just starting out.

Thanks!

:(

Kimberly,

That is great!!! I will have to go check out the pictures!

HEY HEY HEY- It's Monday! Lets see how many posts/updates we can get this week!

shake things up... tell us more than you think we want to know! hahahaha

I am having TOM... and think I may be gaining. It could be too many Margaritas on Friday... but I don't remember how many that was.

I'm craving avocados like crazy??? Never really ate them before being banded. I guess that is better than going to Andy's for custard.?.

Happy Monday -Everyone have a great week! Kim:)

Anyone? Anything?

Hi Kim:

We're still here. I'm just still in hurry up and wait mode. I see Dr Edwards for my final consult and surgery date on April 1st and I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind waiting.

I've been thinking of selling my house here in Marshfield and moving into Springfield, so I'm keeping myself busy giving the house a facelift before I put it on the market.

Know anyone looking to buy a nice 2 bedroom 1 bath in Marshfield? New electric, plumbing, central a/c. Renovated bath..........

Happy Saturday.

Karen

Mazie - Did you go through the Hair loss isssue? How long did it last? I'm going crazy right now! My hair is the one thing that I like and I'm losing it! I knew that it would happen, but I just don't know how long to expect it to last. It started happening around December-January so I'm hoping it will stop soon. Any insight?

Mazie - Did you go through the Hair loss isssue? How long did it last? I'm going crazy right now! My hair is the one thing that I like and I'm losing it! I knew that it would happen, but I just don't know how long to expect it to last. It started happening around December-January so I'm hoping it will stop soon. Any insight?

Hi Tabitha,

Sorry to hear you ask this question.. Having some loss your self?

YES- I have lost some. Not TONS but SOME. Some people always expect, several months (3-4)after an anesthesia surgery, that they will lose some, and with nutrition changes it can continue or be worse. Keep up high levels of Protein and don't stop eating all fats-(good fats are good). Avacados and nuts are great, and PROTEIN too. My hair was very thick- so No balding for me, but my hair is alot thinner. I like it so far... But need to keep what is left. I've never heard great reviews about Biotin - but hear of some who use it. I think my hair is falling out at it's normal rate now, but was quite a surprise when it was handfulls...

With time, and good diet- including fats... you should see less hair in the shower/brush.. at 8-9-10 months post op? That's when I noticed the hair NOT being all over the sink/cabinet after routine brushing.

Good luck... I've been thinking about you lately too. Keep us posted! Kim:)

Hello everyone, I've been reading ur posts for a while, my name is Cindy, and I live in Camdenton-near Lake of the Ozarks, so I'll just pipe n about the hair loss....i am a hairdresser and Biotin is what i tell my clients to take for hair loss...also u can buy a hair/skin/nails combo. at wal-Mart or any drug store....Anyway I have been worrying about that issue myself...I have to say it does scare me alittle, I have VERY thick hair so I could afford to lose a little but dont want to.....So u guys think the key is Protein? ?? Also I am being banded on April 8th in Mexico....Cindy

Hi Cinnimae,

Welcome to our little corner and please chime in ANYTIME.

I have never used biotin... so can't really give a review. But I have never heard any great reviews from users either. I think it is used mostly for non- diet related Hair loss?

Dr. Edwards said for me to up my Protein and it will stop.

The dietician said don't cut out good fats, and keep up protein.

My experience is all I can go by.... when I did realize that I was losing... quite a bit... I did up my protein and add extra fats back in. And now it seems to have done the trick... It took about 3 weeks of intentional protein and fat effort to help the issue slow/stop with the losing.

Hope any thing that can help will be found. Some band folks are wearing wigs, and I do not want to see that happen to any of us. If you are willing to try it go for it... what ever "it" may be.

If I start losing my hair again, or any more, I would try almost anything!! Later-Kim :crying: Have a great week every one!