Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got banded in Springfield MO??

Hi all:

I just got back home my class today. Everything went really well. Had a great group. I guess I was a little disturb by some of the quizes Katie had us take. I always knew I was a little dysfunctional, but to put a number to it, and have a higher number than most was a bit of an eye-opener. Guess I have alot of work to do. It's gonna be a challenge, but a challenge every now and then isn't always a bad thing, right? I have my final consult with Dr. Edwards in the morning. Can hardly wait till I get a date!!! I'll post tomorrow and give an update.

later,

kathy

Hi Everyone,

My name is Michelle, and I am 44. My husband and I look a lot younger. I tried to download a pic from photobucket, but I think hubby must of cleaned out my Cookies. Photobucket didn't remember me, so I couldn't get a pic right now. My daughter's friends were always like "You are 44 and 48? Reeeaallly, you guys don't look it at all. You guys look young." I guess we are young at heart.

My only child 21 Whitney got married in November, and I have been lost. You talk about "empty nest syndrome". Wow. She is a Junior in college at MSSU in Joplin.

I met this super neat gal at Bath and Body in Joplin. She was talking about getting the Lap-Band. I had been thinking for quite some time about getting it done, but there was no one in Joplin performing it. She told me there was a doctor in Springfield performing it with good results. I found out she wasn't from Joplin but Springfield. I gave her my cell number and she told me she would call me when she found out who it was in Springfield.

I got online and found out pretty quickly who it was as I found this group and I have been lurking for a bit. I had an information session to go to I thought tonight, but it was last Monday. I thought the lady told me it was tonight because they didn't want to have it on President's Day. You can imagine since I have been waiting since the middle of January I am so mad at myself. I rescheduled for March, but they are not sure what day it will be in March. The lady at the 820-3800 number is to call me with the date, place and time for any March session people.

I have struggled with my weight for the last 20 years. I have weighed anywhere from 120 to 240 pounds at 5 foot 2 inches. Right now my BMI is 39.5. I had gestational diabetes at 23 since I am native american, and my dad has type 2 diabetes. My cholesterol is high. My back hurts since I have already had back surgery and my bust line is 50 inches. :) It is large even when I weigh 120.:cryin: My neck and shoulders hurt all the time. I can't stand in one place for very long at all. My knees are starting to hurt as well.

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield Alliance PPO and my husband called them to see if they would pay for it. It sounds like you have to submit everything like an appeal process right of the bat. I have lost weight so many times only to gain it back within two to three years no matter what I do.

My husband is very naturally thin and has like a swimmers body. He has a high metabolism, and wants me to cook food that I might be able to eat a few bites such as fried chicken. I find it impossible to cook for him and not be able to eat the food everyday, day after day, month after month. I am thinking possibly with a Lap Band I wouldn't eat much and then would lose weight.

My sister had gastric bypass a few years ago and she is sick all the time. We went to a Lap Band seminar, and I tried to get her to go that route, but she would not. Now she wishes she would of done as I had suggested. I know she does not drink her Protein shakes as she is suppose to do so. That may be part of the problem, but she looks grey or very pale all the time.

Has anyone worked with the same insurance I have or is the insurance person in Dr. Edward's office any good?

Would pictures of all those weight fluctuations be good to send to the insurance? What will they be looking for? I have had my gallbladder, appendix, and a back surgery done.

Is there any information I should be trying to get together now? :) What do you do at this first seminar?

My husband is concerned who is going to be motivated to get this insurance to pay for this operation. I am sick of being tired all the time. My balance is awful. I have instances where I fall from being uncoordinated due to my weight. It isn't from dizziness.

I am really counting on this surgery. If you could please offer any advice or tell me key words to search for on this site I would greatly appreciate it. I plan on checking in here almost everyday I am online.

I greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Michelle

Hi Everyone!

Congrats on your losses so far and your upcoming surgeries!

So, technically I'm not going to be banded in Springfield but I go to school here in Springfield (MSU) so I'm here more than I am at home. I'm actually hoping to get banded in KC (in-network provider, parents are there, etc.). I'm not sure of the function of this post but this is kind of like my, "hey I'm here!" post.

What's interesting about this thread is it's actually more active than the ones for KC...hmm, since I'm in Springfield so much it's nice to know you all are out there in cyberland but also in the same city.

Does Dr. Edwards offer a support group for his patients after surgery? Since I won't be able to go home for support group meetings it would be nice if he did so then I would still be able to attend a support group.

Ok, I feel like I'm rambling so I'll bring this to a close!

Nice to know you guys are out there!

Best of luck on your continued success!

Lauren

Hello Everyone:

First off...Michelle, I can't help you with any of your insurance questions since I'm self pay, but I'm sure if you call Mary in Dr. Edward's office she can answer some of your questions. She is a very motivated person and seems like she really cares about the patients. She has been very helpful with any questions I've had the whole process. And Lauren87, yes there are support groups in Springfield. I believe one is on the second monday of every month from 5:30 to 7:30. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone else in this group can give you the right dates.

I went to my final consult this morning and got my b-day set for the 12th of March at 5:30 a.m. I do believe that will be the only time in my life that I will look forward to being up that early. I also did the preadmission tests today too, to get them out of the way. I start my liquid diet tomorrow. I don't think it's gonna be as hard as I imagined. I thought it would be two weeks of only liquids, but he said the first week I just need to replace two meals with a Protein shake, and eat a sensible dinner. The second week is all liquids though. My husband may not like me very much at the end of the two weeks, but I'm sure I'll live through it. It will all be worth it in the end, right?

Til next time...

Kathy

Awesome Kathy!

Michelle.... Insurance go to gal with Edwards would be MARY!!! She will help!

Lauren.... I hope to see you at a meeting some time! Join right in here too!

Keep us updated-- everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to the post 6 months support meeting... enjoyed it! But Wish there had been more people this time.

Waiting is hard. It's been 1 week since Mary subitted my final paperwork to Aetna. I know it will take more time to get an approval, but I reeeeeealy want an answer now. I even started the liquid diet last Thursday so that when the approval comes in maybe I can get in for the surgery sooner.

Do any of you have Aetna? If so, how long did it take for you to get your approval after the final paperwork was sent in?

Happy Monday!

Any news yet? Got my fingers crossed.

Hollygurl... any update you are willing to share?:)

my sister lives in MO and has United HealthCare Choice Plus and found out today that LB is not covered. This is what the Surgeons office (Rogers, AR)told her. I was wondering if you could share what type of policy you have and see if there are any suggestions you could give us to help her get approved. She works for a small business and could likely get the plan switched if she just knew which one to go with. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I am NO help with insurance:confused:-I have none! Good luck.

Any news yet? Got my fingers crossed.

No, nothing yet :glare:. I'll give them till next Monday then start calling. I'm a very persistant person.

So how did things go with the dentist? Is the root canal and crown finished? How are Mazie and your Mommy doing? From the numbers on your ticker it looks like you're doing great :).

We all appreciate your support, now keep us updated on your life too. We care.

Thanks

maizemommy-

Thanks so much! I really hope to attend a meeting too!

See you there (eventually, once banded)!

Lauren

Hi Kimberly, Klkirk, and Lauren87,

Kimberly and Klkirk thanks for telling me to get in touch with Mary. I don't think that is the gal I have talked to so far with on the phone. I actually got a seminar set up finally after actually missing the one if Feb. I was so ticked at myself.:tongue2: The lady called yesterday actually letting me know there will be

informative sessions this month one on Saturday, March 8 at 10:00 a.m. on the fourth floor in Room 4A. Is this room pretty easy to find? I will be coming from Joplin. I know it is in the St. John's Surgical Center at the corner of National and Seminole.

They are having another informative session much later in the month of March, but I decided on the earlier one. I figured hubby and I would come up and make a day of it. I sew and was wondering where your fabric shops are at? I know you have a Hancocks close to the mall, but I wasn't sure if you had anymore?

Lauren87 it is nice to meet you on the board. I am hoping to make a couple of support meetings before surgery if I get approved. Maybe I should check out the insurance thread and see if anyone knows much about my insurance there. :smile2: I just haven't had much luck with insurance issues in my life, so I just am not real optimistic. Anyone else feel that way?

I wondered if anyone had a suggestion on which threads my be the most helpful to start out with right off the bat? There are so many of them. I see there are some topics about complications, insurance and ages. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michelle Denise

2bthinagn - I talk to UN5-3051 almost on a daily basis so I will tell her you are looking for her.

Lauren - you don't have to be banded already to go to the New Beginnings support group meeting. I have been several times and there are always people there who are considering surgery and want to learn more about it.

Kathy - Congrats on your date! You know, I thought the liquid phase was going to be just awful, but it really wasn't...at least not the first one. During the first two week phase, I knew there was a purpose. However, after surgery and there was another 2 weeks of it I started getting a bit cranky! I don't know if you will have to do a full 2 weeks...a friend of mine had surgery in Dec. and she got to start on soft foods after one week (give or take a day or two). And, someone she knows was the same way. Maybe now they are doing less time for liquids only after surgery. Oh well, good luck with everything and hang in there. :biggrin2:

Maize - how are things?

I had fill #4 on Wednesday and then my 6 month follow up on Thursday. I can't believe it has been 6 months already!

Hi Kimberly, Klkirk, and Lauren87,

Kimberly and Klkirk thanks for telling me to get in touch with Mary. I don't think that is the gal I have talked to so far with on the phone. I actually got a seminar set up finally after actually missing the one if Feb. I was so ticked at myself.:tt2: The lady called yesterday actually letting me know there will be

informative sessions this month one on Saturday, March 8 at 10:00 a.m. on the fourth floor in Room 4A. Is this room pretty easy to find? I will be coming from Joplin. I know it is in the St. John's Surgical Center at the corner of National and Seminole.

They are having another informative session much later in the month of March, but I decided on the earlier one. I figured hubby and I would come up and make a day of it. I sew and was wondering where your fabric shops are at? I know you have a Hancocks close to the mall, but I wasn't sure if you had anymore?

Lauren87 it is nice to meet you on the board. I am hoping to make a couple of support meetings before surgery if I get approved. Maybe I should check out the insurance thread and see if anyone knows much about my insurance there. :lol: I just haven't had much luck with insurance issues in my life, so I just am not real optimistic. Anyone else feel that way?

I wondered if anyone had a suggestion on which threads my be the most helpful to start out with right off the bat? There are so many of them. I see there are some topics about complications, insurance and ages. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michelle Denise

I almost always stay out of "complications" section... why worry needlessly. Hopefully we will never need to deal with it, and if we do... see the doc!

I would spend some time finding Protein suppliments, to tolerate for a couple weeks straight, and occasional use after surgery. Everyones tastes are very different! I love Atkins advantage chocolate delight, NO SLIMFAST at all. hahahah Others are not the same.

You may want to look in healthy weight supermarket while you are in town. Good luck. Sorry I'm not a "sewer", no idea for best places to find fabric.... yellow pages?:rolleyes:

Well i am still waiting to find out if the insurance approves... Mary said she sent all my stuff to the insurance company on Wednesday or Thursday. Hopefully they won't take too long to let the doctor know. I am READY!!! and EXCITED!!! I can't wait. I haven't checked out the Healthy Supermarket yet but i did try a sample of unjury. It was good. Kindof pricey, but most of those drinks are....

Mazzie - if you have any liquid tips for me for the liquid diet, i would appreciate it. Does hurt to get prepared! See yah ladies!:confused:

Hollygurl.... liquids.....

Variety was key for me. Protein protein protein... hot, cold, thick, thin, sweet, salty everything....

hot chocolate. from HWSupermarket is warm and wonderful. They have like 5+ flavors.

I loved the soothing, thick, salty, egg drop Soup - minus the bits of eggs.

No slim fast for me thanks , but I still like Atkins choc. delight... not too sweet.

Shakers of protein Fruit Drinks (at HWSMarket too). No grit, and also aspertame free.

And of course, don't forget about plain old water... the protein helped me fight hunger, didn't rid it completely, but helped.

Hoping you hear great insurance news ASAP.