Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why did you choose GBP?

I'm at the very beginning of this process and reading everything I can get my hands on. I've been concentrating on researching the surgical options. I was wondering if anyone would share the reasons they chose gastric bypass over gastric sleeve. Would you share your decision process? Are you happy with your decision?

Edited by JustBeth13

My surgery is April 21st. I was set on the sleeve until my appointment with surgeon. He said it was my choice but when he showed me the weight loss I could expect from the sleeve vs. Bypass I chose bypass. 50lbs difference for my body type. 5'5" 370. Plus I had acid reflux during pregnancy bad & he said it could come back with the sleeve. I don't want to go through that again. The only thing I'm going to not like about the bypass is giving up my NSAIDS for pain/ sinus headache. I've been trying to avoid them to get in the habit of taking other things. All in all the thoughts of maybe losing the extra 50 was my biggest factor. Good luck!

I am now 4 months post op. I was planning on the sleeve until I actually spoke with my gastroenterologist and learned that the sleeve can make Gerd/reflux worse which would mean a revision to bypass anyway.

I also had type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol and stage 3 kidney disease which was why I was having this procedure done in the first place.

I had RNY on 9/29 and immediately my severe Gerd and type 2 diabetes was gone! In addition I had a fairly easy recovery and have been doing fantastic ever since. Even my kidney function has improved.

I have not regretted having RNY for even 1 second. The only thing I di regret is not having it sooner. I might have not gotten kidney disease which is not reversible.

Good luck on your decision and your upcoming surgery!

I choose gastric bypass from the get go. I wanted to extra support of knowing that if I eat something high in sugar my grouch pouch would let me know by dumping syndrome. I never want to eat sugar foods again. Plus gastric bypass is the gold standard! That was enough for me. :) however I do think it should be a personal choice and weigh all of the pros and cons. I am nine weeks post op and have lost 62 pounds! Not a single regret!

Pre-op, my only "fat problem" was GERD. Bypass is the only compatible surgery.

Higher weight loss with the bypass too. Go big or go home right?

I was diabetic when pregnant, and my mom has type two diabetes - that's in my future if i don't drop some serious poundage. GB for the win.

Good luck with whatever decision you make :)

Thanks everybody! I really do appreciate hearing your stories.

This is really helpful, I'm having similar pressures from the surgeon for the sleeve, but my gut says bypass.

Sent from my SM-G900T using the BariatricPal App

I went bypass as well, mine was revision from a band. I had bad reflux with the band, but my doctor prefered bypass as the tried and true surgery. so happy with my decision.

It was a hard decision for me, but I'm so happy I choose RNY bypass. I just felt like it has been proven for many more years and the long term success rate is higher. My insurance only covers once, so I wanted to be sure I picked the best.

Sent from my SM-G925V using the BariatricPal App

My surgeon recommended the RNY to me. I was not a candidate due to my BMI only (BMI was only 35), but with my sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, GERD, and diabetes he said it would benefit me greatly. I do regret it. I regret that I didn't do it sooner. There are days when it is difficult but I am so happy that I had it done. I am 12 weeks post op and I am completely off the insulin (only taking 250 mg of Metformin twice daily), off the blood pressure medication, off the cholesterol medication, off the omeprazole and the pressure on my CPAP machine has been turned way down. I have lost almost 60 pounds and I feel great.

Edited by Redmaxx