Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay so I'm 3 1/2 months post-op and I'm currently in a stall. It's not bothering me too much because I'm still seeing changes so I'm just going to try keep hydrated, lots of Protein and exercise.

But, I am just feeling really down. I had my 3 month check up last week and she said I need to eat more.. Being told all my life to eat less and now it's suddenly reversed. I feel like I cant physically eat more. The little that I do eat seems like far too much. But I'm trying, it just doesn't help that people are trying to force me when they don't understand (friends and family etc).

Also, I've damaged the nerves in my stomach apparently? From the surgery and it'll be numb and sore for a long while so that makes me feel worse. Oh and I'm constipated (sorry for the tmi) I just can't go so I feel bloated.

I don't know, I guess I'm just so down and it's all getting to me. I'm so grateful for this operation I don't want to seem rude, it's life changing. I just hope things start getting better.

Has anyone else felt so down so soon after the vsg? Please let me know. Thank you.

Hang in there, it will get better. I promise. Once I committed to surgery, I vowed I'd go through whatever it took to be successful. I knew there was no turning back once my stomach was gone. So I might as well make the most of it. :P

I have had people try to encourage me to eat the wrong things. Telling me, "Oh, just this one time won't hurt you." And I tried politely to refuse - 6 times. After the 6th time, I just got up and walked away. They just don't understand.

Unfortunately, so much of our family and social life revolves around food.

Make the Right Decision, Right Now.
Because when you do, you'll discover what I believe...
That change IS possible at ANY age and in ALL areas of life and in under EVERY circumstance. No matter how bad you feel it is going today, no matter what obstacles lay before, you CAN overcome these struggles.

Its such a roller coaster of emotions and as you lose weight the hormones stored in your fat are released and causes you even more emotions

Get yourself a laxative. Milk of magnesia works for me. Then start a regimen of Fiber gummies or a stool softener

Increase your calories little by little. Instead of the low cal Snacks like cheese switch to beef Jerky maybe or a little tuna or a roll up.

Hugs????????✊

Hi,

I was down after I had the surgery too. I couldn't drink, could eat, couldn't sleep. I actually had to go back to liquid/pureed at about 2 months. I was concerned things would never get better. They did. Your body will work it out. Just stick with what you can eat. Even if It's the same thing over and over. That's what saved me. As for the Constipation, lemme tell you I was MISERABLE! I bought a huge jar of kirkland opitfiber (Costco brand of a Fiber supplement) and Phillips Milk of Magnesia. Life changers! There is no feeling like being blocked up!!! That did the trick!

You will find your groove, don't worry. It's just when it hits you all at once it feels like too much. Good Luck!!!

I am almost 3 months out and doing okay (down 45 lbs, BMI from 34 on day of surgery to 27.8 now), but I feel depressed and not as motivated to exercise as I normally do. Can't get out of my funk. I am sure that the hormones from the fat aren't helping!

@@BobbieVSG, I haven't had my sleeve long enough to answer your question about feeling down, but I have to say it sounds like you've encountered your fair share of issues, with the nerves, Constipation, and pressure from well-meaning people about eating. I have fibromyalgia, and one of the things a doctor told me that's stuck with me is eliminate one thing at a time because even one less stressor can swing the balance and make you feel better.

The constipation one is a good one to start with, it is just finding works best for me. Personally, I take Miralax because I can mix it in my Water bottle and sip throughout the day. I put lemon in my Water and it covers the taste. Maybe fixing that problem will help settle your abdominal nerves. I know it was a huge relief for me to finally have a BM after a week of constipation, LOL.

Anyway, as @@FitnFabfor2014 and @@joatsaint said, you will find your stride again. Maybe you just need to give yourself a bit of time to get some emotions out. Best!!

I had my surgery October 7, which appears to be one day later than when you had yours. Similar to you, I don't get overly hungry all that much. I don't force myself to eat when I'm not hungry. It just doesn't make sense to me. I just had my three month follow up last week as well. I asked my bariatrician for his opinion about forcing myself to eat (without hunger) and he said not to bother eating. Furthermore, he said it was needless to worry about calorie intake as long as I was getting sufficient Vitamins, Protein, and liquid intake. I do only get 500-600 calories most days, but still get in 100 grams of Protein and 60 Fluid ounces.

If the my bariatrician recommended that I start eating more, I would be upset too. I'm tired of being overweight and want to get a substantial amount off during the first six months. I keep hearing that it gets a lot harder after that.

As for being anxious and depressed, I think it is all too common after weight loss surgery. I get depressed during the winter months (SAD) and am trying my hardest to make it without taking Seroquil this season. I have taken the drug for the past five winters and have finally decided to rely on just cognitive behavioral therapy to cope this winter. Some days are better than others. When I get really down, I have to constantly remind myself that it's just a phase and won't last forever.

How were your labs at your three month follow up? Mine were fine. Try to remind yourself on the great success you have had so far in your weight loss journey. You really are doing great!

Thank you all for your replies, it's really helped me out. I'm going to try out Milk of Magnesia starting from tomorrow so hopefully that helps. All my bloods come back today and all is okay so I'm happy about that. Just going to focus on getting all of this sorted now. Thank you all again and sorry I haven't individually tag you.