Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Constipation !

Hi everyone.... let's talk about constipation.... a subject that's likely to give you the shits !!! lol

I had my sleeve done back in October, 2014, and I never had Constipation before that, but now I feel like my bottom end is plugged up with a giant cork.

I feel like my diet is pretty good.... For Breakfast I have half an English Muffin spread with Liverworst.... For lunch I'll have the other half of the English Muffin with some Vegemite.... and for dinner I usually have a Healthy Choice Meal.

When I have a cup of tea (usually about 3 times a day), I always add 2 teaspoons of Benefibre (as recommended by my surgeon). I also drink lots of Water and nothing else.

I'd like to eat more fruit & vegies, but by the time I've eaten the Protein first, there's no room left in my stomach.

The only other side effect I have from the sleeve is that I can't drink & eat at the same time, otherwise my stomach gurgles, which can be an odd sensation.

So I'm just wondering how other people are managing this icky situation.

I wish you all every success and a brilliant day !!!

Cheers, Aprile.

Edited by Aprile3211

I had a major backup last week/weekend. I had to call my doctor because I was getting nowhere for all the trying I was doing. I had even taken laxatives without any results. They suggested I try an enema since I just couldn't do it on my own. I picked up the Fleet Mineral Oil one and was able to do it at home pretty easily. I would definitely do it again if I got to that point of just constant pressure and discomfort. Since then I've been really hitting the Fiber hard- like you, I do the benefiber a few times a day and since the blockage was removed things have been moving along pretty well.

I deal with being backed up often. Up you Water in take, walk alot, mix Miralax in your beverage 3 times a day until you are regular. It has no taste and works very well with no cramping.

I am always constipated! Embarassing I know! I have no desire to drink and I barely eat, veggie kill me! I have the lap band! Also got a hemorrhoid from hell that im too ashamed to go in and have checked! Seems like when I was drinking almond milk I had no issues!

@@rhya2k I was freaking out that I would develop some kind of hemorrhoid or a rectal prolapse or some other kind of stuff that I read could happen with Constipation because I was scared of having to have someone check it out. I was also nervous about calling my surgeon's office to talk about my lack of poop because, as we know, it feels like a very personal issue. However- I started thinking- that's what they're there for and what they're trained to deal with/treat. After talking to them about it, they were clearly used to talking all about this kind of stuff. Don't let your feelings on the topic keep you from getting help from people who just want to help you feel better!

I know it's easier said than done, good luck!

Hi everyone.... let's talk about constipation.... a subject that's likely to give you the shits !!! lol

I had my sleeve done back in October, 2014, and I never had Constipation before that, but now I feel like my bottom end is plugged up with a giant cork.

I feel like my diet is pretty good.... For Breakfast I have half an English Muffin spread with Liverworst.... For lunch I'll have the other half of the English Muffin with some Vegemite.... and for dinner I usually have a Healthy Choice Meal.

When I have a cup of tea (usually about 3 times a day), I always add 2 teaspoons of Benefibre (as recommended by my surgeon). I also drink lots of Water and nothing else.

I'd like to eat more fruit & vegies, but by the time I've eaten the Protein first, there's no room left in my stomach.

The only other side effect I have from the sleeve is that I can't drink & eat at the same time, otherwise my stomach gurgles, which can be an odd sensation.

So I'm just wondering how other people are managing this icky situation.

I wish you all every success and a brilliant day !!!

Cheers, Aprile.

That's a lot of carbs and a lot of sodium you're eating every day. Personally I find highly processed food particularly binding. Try adding some green leafy veg alongside your Protein and increase your Water intake.

As for constipation aides any of the following may help; prunes, prune juice, colace, benefiber, milk of magnesia, miralax, psyllium powder, flax powder, and Smooth Move tea to name just a few.

Edited by BLERDgirl

I am always constipated! Embarassing I know! I have no desire to drink and I barely eat, veggie kill me! I have the lap band! Also got a hemorrhoid from hell that im too ashamed to go in and have checked! Seems like when I was drinking almond milk I had no issues!

Why did you stop drinking almond milk? I also second the need to get that hemorrhoid checked. Trust me doctors have seen EVERYTHING! Go get that checked ASAP.

That's a lot of carbs and a lot of sodium you're eating every day. Personally I find highly processed food particularly binding. Try adding some green leafy veg alongside your Protein and increase your Water intake.

As for Constipation aides any of the following may help; prunes, prune juice, colace, benefiber, milk of magnesia, miralax, psyllium powder, flax powder, and Smooth Move tea to name just a few.

I agree with Blerdgirl. Those processed foods are a mess. I have a friend that has nuclear diarrhea if she eats processed stuff and I always suffered from the opposite when I ate it. Whole foods and whole foods with Fiber are the best bet. I add clear fiber powder as a just in case because I CANNOT stand the feeling of being plugged up.

I have found Tomato juice to help too. Just make sure it isn't loaded with sugar and other crap. I add a dash of white pepper and tobasco. YUMMM...it quenches and also gives me a satiated feeling like I ate pizza or Pasta.

Definitely get moving more an drink drink drink water!

See, almond milk screwed me up. I couldn't go! I switched back to soy because my NUT said it had better Protein and when I did, no more issues. I switch back and forth between lactaid and soy. Something about that almond milk.....

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your replies, comments and help.

I seem to have fixed the problem by adding prunes to my diet.

I soak them in Water overnight, so they're nice and juicy the next day.

I eat about 6 of them, twice a day..... problem solved !!! Yayyy !!! lol

Hope you're all having a fabulous week & keep up the good work !

Cheers, Aprile.

{:-)

Trader Joe's dried mangos. No sugar. Just mangos.

I eat fruit for my two Snacks a day. And at night I have a separate meal of just vegetables. Not what my doctor recommends but not hardly any calories and I have no problems at all. I don't take any extra fiber. Not a daily thing anymore but definitely not constipated.

I added a Quest bar 2 or 3 times per week. It really helped. If you don't want the calories, ask dr if you can up the benefiber.