Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lapband removal

Is anyone getting their lapband removed??? My guy had his band 5 years lost maybe 50 pounds and he was a big guy 415. But he's now had some scary side effects which we are now action upon and asking for removal. He has lots of getting stuck episodes where he has to puke up what he's eaten, he has to have a pike cup with him when he eats and on the bedsi de table, he has regurgitation issues at night with either saliva or air, he chokes on it and has even had an episode that caused enough to get in his lungs and cause pneumonia, he has passed out and had seizures twice due to stuck meds and food. Fir $t time I found him in the bathroom unresponsive, jerkinf, puking, lost control of bowels. He had told me he was feeling woozy after his swallowing his meds. Luckily, I had decided to wake up bc it was early and he was supposed to be leaving for work. I ended up catching him as he fell. The second time he had a bite of grilled cheese. Had I not been there to pull him forward he would've died choking on his own vomit. Both times the doctor thought it was unrelated. I disagree. He has never had an issue before and now he's super careful and it hasn't happened since. I did some research and when food gets stuck you can have esophageal spasms which can cause your heart rate to slow and cause seizures it's happened to others as well as the pneumonia... I cannot believe lapband is allowed to be implemented anymore. I would highly caution you against it. Much love. I understand the struggle <3

Orry to hear that. That's very scary to read. I just got the lapband 4 days ago. Hope it all gets better for u guys, good luck.

@@j-rod

You joined this site this morning, and asked "Is anyone getting their lapband removed???" and "anyone go through this" as you told of the near death experience of someone. Is it your "guy", your "BF" or your "Husband" that has the band? You refer to them differently each time you post.....

You've chimed in on a couple of peoples post giving your opinion ( as someone who isn't banded ) and then started a couple threads of your own.

Who is this doctor that doesn't seem concerned when you describe these symptoms? When was the last time your BF/Husband/Guy seen the surgeon?

I hope everything gets better! :)

Edited by catfish87

j-rod -

Get the lap band removed...? Absolutely bloody not!

I've never felt better in my life. I am 4 weeks post surgery, 27 pounds down, and feeling like I am making amazing progress.

The lap band is a tool, not a solution. You have to work WITH it, in order to make it work. The band is the teacher.

I have avoided vomiting and 'sliming' by taking small bites (no larger than 2 blueberries). I chew everything to a paste, and only then do I swallow. I eat Protein first, then veggies, then tiny amounts of carbs. I have learned about "First Bite Syndrome" and how to avoid it.

I have invested $16,000 in this procedure, so it will ABSOLUTELY work - I have a financial obligation (and an emotional one, too!) to ensure it does! I have had an excellent (no... SUPERB) surgeon whose follow up program for me with a nutritionist and nursing team and webinars has been incredibly helpful and supportive.

No one should vomit with the Band. Getting food stuck (on occasion) and having a sliming episode once, twice or even a few times, is, I've learned, to be expected when you forget the rules. I expect that I will forget at some point, lose my focus and eat too much/ too fast and have an episode. I will learn the lesson when the lesson is ready to be learned!

In my learning and research I have learned that regurgitation at night is often caused by acid washing up through the esophagus because of a stretching of the pouch above the band. So what happened with "Your Guy"? If he was in the habit of pushing his band to fight back by taking large bites or eating the wrong foods, then he needs to change his habits. "Pouch dilatation" is something that needs medical attention to correct.

You even said in your post since then he's been "super careful and it hasn't happened since". Well - we all need to learn new habits after being banded. If he wasn't ready to make the changes and begin a new relationship with food, he wasn't ready to be banded.

I hate to judge or say he did anything wrong. Not my place. Hell, I am new to banding myself. I can tell you what I've learned - that is that the band will NOT work and is CHEATABLE and can/will FAIL if you do not follow the rules.

The Rules:

• No bites over the size of 2 blueberries.
  • Everything is chewed to a paste - anything not dissolving down gets spat out.
  • Average about a bite a minute.
  • About 20 bites makes a meal.
  • No more than 20 minutes per meal.
  • No crap food. (Really, does this need to be said?)
  • Move your body, even if its just walking.
  • No drinking calories (pop, juice, booze).
  • Stop eating before you feel 'full'.
  • Understand the difference between "fullness" and "satiety".
  • Serve meals on a side/dessert plate.
  • Eat with small utensils, like an oyster fork, to prevent big bites.

Please do not caution anyone against the band. You are not in a position to do that. The band has changed lives and improved the health and well-being of thousands... THOUSANDS... of people. I am one of those people, and even though I have just started my journey, I am well on my way to losing 100 pounds and improving my health.

I have reclaimed my life and would recommend this minimally-invasive, effective procedure to anyone, provided they are willing to LEARN ABOUT and IMPLEMENT the changes that are required for it's success.