Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I've decided to do this - Insurance willing...

Hello Everyone - my name is Lexie and I've recently made the decision to have surgery. I've struggled with my weight all of my life and I feel like I need a helping hand to maintain. So I've been doing a bit of research and I know that generally you have to prove that you have struggled with your weight. Luckily for me, I'm a bit of a packrat - so I've got medical records back to 2004 which document my weight! I've fluctuated anywhere from 282 to 227 since 2004. I also have a few comorbidities - such as high blood pressure, joint pain, acid reflux, possibly sleep apnea (going to see if insurance recommends a sleep study) - and on top of all of that, I also suffer from hypothyroidism and depression.

So the kicker, I've put on 20 pounds since March of last year - but to make it EVEN BETTER - I ran a half marathon last April! Who does that? Oh yeah, me. :blink:

Luckily for me, I have very good insurance through my employer (United Insurance and an awesome package). So far, I know my insurance covers the surgery, but we'll see if they give me a hard way to go about it. I have my first consult with the surgeon next week. Wish me luck!

I have not told a lot of people for fear of judgement. You would think since I've been running for the last 6 years, this would prove my efforts to try, but I know there are people that think surgery is the "easy way out". I have told 3 of my friends - 2 of them are supportive (they know how much I've struggled with my weight and how much I've really tried through diet and exercise to "do the right thing") - the other friend (who is also a lap bander) is trying to talk me out of it, for she feels I'm not "big enough". I am starting to regret telling her because I am starting to feel like she's judging me.

According to BMI charts I am obese - BMI is 36.9 and I have comorbidities - and I've struggled with weight issues all of my adult life.

I'll keep everyone posted on what happens...I'm so glad a friend told me about this forum!

Edited by lexiemustang

Thanks kyrickchick64!

Just got off the phone with the sleep center. I have my sleep study tonight. This process is moving fast!!!

I keep a private journal that no one in real life knows about. These folks have watched me struggle with diet after diet and gain after gain. I posted last night about the surgery, and I was so hurt to have 2 long time faves and 1 more recent reader tell me I just need to try harder. I just need to try again. I just need to stick with it. Seriously. These folks have been with me since 2006. They have seen my struggles! And that's what I got? I first friend I told in real life told me the same thing: "You just need to give it one more honest effort." What are all my other efforts? Dishonest? This same friend is currently starving herself to lose weight. As of now, 4 in real life friends know that I am going to the consultation. 3 are super duper supportive and 1 seems to be neutral. She successfully lost 100 lbs 10 years ago and has kept it off through diet and exercise.

Best of luck! I hope you find supportive friends, because it's what we'll need!

I keep a private journal that no one in real life knows about. These folks have watched me struggle with diet after diet and gain after gain. I posted last night about the surgery, and I was so hurt to have 2 long time faves and 1 more recent reader tell me I just need to try harder. I just need to try again. I just need to stick with it. Seriously. These folks have been with me since 2006. They have seen my struggles! And that's what I got? I first friend I told in real life told me the same thing: "You just need to give it one more honest effort." What are all my other efforts? Dishonest? This same friend is currently starving herself to lose weight. As of now, 4 in real life friends know that I am going to the consultation. 3 are super duper supportive and 1 seems to be neutral. She successfully lost 100 lbs 10 years ago and has kept it off through diet and exercise.

Best of luck! I hope you find supportive friends, because it's what we'll need!

Thank you Xine. I think I'm going to start a journal - that is EXCELLENT advice. Complete with gel pens and stickers - I'm a kid at heart.

Small update - I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea as of last week. This process is moving very quickly; my meeting with the Nutritionist and my Cardio test is tomorrow. I am actually going for the sleeve instead of the lap band...both my PCP and my bariatric surgeon thought it would be a better fit for me.

Edited by lexiemustang