Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey anyone have any advice on a good workout routine for ultimate muscle building and to maximize my weight loss... I have looked online not much help..I know how to use all the machines at the gym just not in what succession and how often..ect ect

If you use them.......they will work.!!

Doesn't matter, just do it. Whatever you can, as often as you can. ;)

al i will say is im going to be cleared to start circuit training starting next week. that might be a good idea, if your gym has an area like that.

See if your gym has any classes like, "Muscle Pump & More" or "Burn" or "Power Strength" etc. These are awesome because they are typically a mix of cardio and strength/weights and about 40 minutes or so. It really kicks butt and works all different muscle groups. I am really getting definition in my arms, back and legs and it's upbeat, fast-paced so you don't have time to get bored like on the machines. Plus, you get motivated by the instructor and the other people in the class. I have found this to really start to change my body.

Granted, I only started this type of intense workout at about 8 months out. Prior to that, all I did was walk and bike to shed the first 100 lbs.

Good luck.

In the most general terms... this is what I've learned from working with my trainer for the past 6 months:

Weights:

1) Alternate upper body / lower body from one day to the next.

2) Pick 4-5 machines to do in a given day, and rotate through them 2-3 times in that workout

3) Organize your workout in terms of reps, sets, and weight. Increase number of reps first, then drop reps back down to your original number and add a set and/or more weight.

For example, if you're doing 5 upper body machines, and starting the first machine at 20 pounds, do 8 pulls, take a rest, and do 8 more. Then do the same thing at the next machine and the next and the next, until you're back at the beginning and run through the whole cycle again. After you've done this routine a few times, you will eventually with a machine and not feel like it took everything out of you. This means it's time to add more reps - bump your reps to 12 of each set, then 15. After that, start doing 3 sets of 8 (maybe bumping up to 25 pounds) and go through the same cycle.

The key for choosing weight is to pick something challenging but not excruciating. If you're making funny faces on the first pull, you've got too much weight. if you're flying through it, you've got too little. I personally often feel like I can't possibly do another pull when I'm done with the set, and am always surprised when I can come back at the end of the next round and do it again.

Cardio: Follow the same basic routine as above for weights. Pick a few machines to do in each workout and vary them up. For example, I almost always warm up and cool down on the recumbent bike, spend some time on the treadmill, some on the elliptical, and some on the rowing machine. Other machines will come and go depending on my mood. But the key is variety. Right now I'm just 9 days post surgery so my lifting restrictions prevent me from using the rowing machine and some other favorites. But as an example, my workout yesterday was:

15 minutes on bike - bumping up resistance every 5 minutes

15 minutes on treadmill - increasing speed every 5 minutes

10 minutes on elliptical

10 minutes on treadmill - at top speed from first pass

10 minutes on bike - reducing resistance at 5 minutes

This was my first full workout since surgery, so I also rested for 3-5 minutes between each one.

Right now I'm doing either weights OR cardio on a given session. And since I can't lift anything right now, it's all cardio all the time. I will ask my trainer next month for guidance on how often to do each one, and whether it's an either/or or both for each workout. Like I said, I'm still new at this so I don't know what's most productive.

I am NOT in any way a fitness expert! I am just learning this myself, and the instructions I've been given may just be applicable for me. And I may be working out more aggressively with weights because I have a trainer on hand - honestly, she sets the weights and counts the reps and I just do as I'm told, so I don't know if she's pushing me harder than I would myself.

One thing to consider is that nearly every gym will comp you an hour or two with a trainer to set up your personal levels of weight, reps, and sets on their machines. I've been a member of a lot of gyms in my life, and have never seen one that doesn't offer this service. I urge you to take advantage of this option if it's available and write everything down for future reference.

Hope this helps. Sorry it got so long!

Thanks everyone

Lift weights up, put weights down. Lift weights up, put weights down. :) I think the important thing is to educate yourself on the types of lifts/movements, lift to failure (with proper form), eat to support the lifting, and #1....be motivated (set goals) or find a way to really motivate yourself to stick with it. The "what kind of lifts" and "when to lift" will then fall into place. Wish you the best!

Edited by aroundhky

Go to the gym and ask. They may try to sell you a personal trainers package. If you can afford one at least short term, that's not a bad idea. However, if you can't the gym is still responsible to make sure you know how to use the machines properly.

just please please make sure your doctor/surgeon etc. has approved you for whatever option you choose. While everyone here means well, dont increase your calories or start lifting heavy weights or performing any exercise unless you are cleared, I know no one here wants anyone to get hurt or risk injury. Using all your resources is always smart.

Good luck and you Can do it!

I despise the gym. I run outside, bundled up lately!) and I do p90x3. I'm 8 weeks into my second p90x round and been running since May (sleeved in 2/14)