Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just starting my 6 month supervised diet

I have some questions about which surgery would be best, ,the bypass or the band? ?? I would like to lose around 85-90lbs,, i know this sounds silly, ,,,but ,i dont want to just continue to lose weight forever. ........iam not sure exactly how that works??? And does anyone have any input on if you will lose your boobs as well????

Welcome. It depends on a lot of things. And you need to discuss it worth your doctor. I am having the vertical sleeve(vsg) on March 2nd. For me after research on here and online I liked it cause I wasn't completely rerouting my system and I have allot of weight to lose. Im only doing this once so I don't want a band revision in the future so that's one of the reasons I didn't choose the band. The surgery is a tool. How much our little you lose will depend on you and your body. If you eat things you shouldn't then you won't lose as much. If you stick to a high Protein low carb diet then you should do well

No one knows what "the girls" will look like till it's all said and done. But there's always plastic surgery to make them perky again.

Just look around in here. Read as much as possible and talk to your dr about any expectations

Thank you! !! I i have just had my second appt,,so i still have a lot of questions for my dr,,, i was just curious if anyone had any input, ,, i will continue browsing the site

Your welcome. There are tons of knowledgeable people here who know way more than I do. Once you decide what procedure your having there are sections to go to for each one. Check with your ins.co. to make sure they cover them all. I'm assuming your a woman (tho we have plenty of men on here so if I'm wrong sorry) there is a woman gone wild section that covers any delicate personal issues you might have. I find it very helpful. Did the ins tell you about any hoops they want you to jump? Like I had to have a bmi( body mass index) of 40, a co morbidity like high bp or diabetes or any other weight related issues. I also had to have a psych eval and a 3 month supervised diet. I started my journey in April /May of last year and my surgery is in March.

Hi there! I started my 6 month journey last month and am hoping to have surgery in June. I was told the vertical sleeve was a no-go for me because I have a terrible time with acid reflux and the sleeve can really exacerbate that. My surgeon doesn't really do the lapband too much anymore. He says he takes more out then he puts in -- that was the one I really thought I wanted but when I heard that.....well, bypass it is for me.

My husband seems more concerned with me losing "the girls" than I am.....I've usually been pretty proportional. But as kyrickchick64 said, I don't think you know until you lose what you lose.

This forum has been so helpful for me.....even though I routinely check facts before I believe what I read, the emotional support has been amazing. Most of the info is good here, too.

Good luck! I have my psych eval today.

My insurance covered the bypass or the band, ,,i opted for the bypass, ,but they didn't explain to much about which surgery would be better, ,,they were going over so much with me,,i still haven't seen the surgeon yet, ,they didn't tell me anything about any hoops, ,,just my 6 month supervised diet, ,then all my clearances,,and the psych eval,,,my bmi is pretty high for my height, ,and no other health issues

post-216665-14213534821256_thumb.jpg

post-216665-14213534998691_thumb.jpg

You can also read these books on Bariatric Surgery to help you decide. They're both co-authored by Alex Brecher.

I had the band and regret that decision everyday. Waiting for approval on revision surgery to bypass. Hopfully all goes well. If you have any questions for me, im more than happy answer. Goo luck.

Yes you will lose the girls. I have 2 friends that had drastic weight loss. One from lap band and one from stress. The lap band friend got a boob job after the weight loss. The other friends chest looks....I hate to say this.....awful. Like utters. She wears padded bras to give her some shape. I suppose the older you are the more it will affect your chest. They are in their 50's.

R

I've had nothing but problems and now have a hernia caused by the band. And i have gained back all the weight lost. It has been so disheartening.