Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QUESTIONS! Help please! Just looking for some answers it insight please! :)

1. coffee? Do many people continue to drink coffee post-op? If so, do you still use Creamer, or just milk?

2. Smoothies/juicing? How early were you able to make a smoothie with frozen fruit? Or have juice using a juicer? I used to have these after my morning workouts and really enjoyed them. I would get them with veggies and a couple fruits.

3. Drinking out of straws? Does most people drink out of straws with no problem? Or is it really best to avoid them?

4. Caffeine? Stay away forever? I don't know if I can do that...at least some tea every now and then.

1) I don't drink coffee anymore, I use to live on it so I think I could probably have some I just personally chose not to start that habit again. I was drinking way more coffee than water...not good.

2) I just had part of a smooth this weekend with a friend, I had them hold all added sugars. (10 weeks out)

3) I don't drink from a straw. I have enough issues with burping I don't want to add to it.

4) redirect to 1

I was caffeine free till a few months ago. I started in with the half an half. I couldnt function without SOME. for the first 3 or 4 months no . I do drink Decaf ice tea an decaf hot teas at night. I use liquid stevia. fruit? I only eat green grapes so far. I watch even natural sugars. keep those down. I think I have had some fresh frozen blueberry/strawberry a couple a few times that was it. I was off the straw habit. the past few months I have slipped back into using one here an there not always..I do girgle more in tummy when I use it so I am getting off of that. absolutly no carbonation. no gum yet. juicing? no I dont. I dont eat lettuce anymore. I pretty much only eat cooked broccoli sometimes. I have thyroid hashis so I dont do the green smoothys nor fruit smoothies..to much sugar an carbs. I keep my carbs under 40. I am 6 months out an almost 100 pds down. hope this helped...:)

1. coffee? Do many people continue to drink coffee post-op? If so, do you still use creamer, or just milk?

I stayed away from coffee for the 1st 30 days. After that, I started sipping coffee here and there. I use powdered creamer/liquid creamer/ whipping cream/condensed milk - whatever is available. I use Splenda as sweetener.

2. Smoothies/juicing? How early were you able to make a smoothie with frozen fruit? Or have juice using a juicer? I used to have these after my morning workouts and really enjoyed them. I would get them with veggies and a couple fruits.

I've never juiced or had a smoothie.

3. Drinking out of straws? Does most people drink out of straws with no problem? Or is it really best to avoid them?

I wasn't ever told not to drink with a straw, but I don't ever use them - just a preference.

4. Caffeine? Stay away forever? I don't know if I can do that...at least some tea every now and then.

I get my caffeine from coffee, so 30 days post-op was my first caffeine.

Everyone is different, so be careful and only try small amounts of a new food (think 1/2 teaspoon full) to see how your sleeve will react.

I'm a straw-wielding rebel. Never drank coffee and I've had a little caffeine here and there but do try to stay away from it. I had a smoothie when I was about 3 months out and it was delicious. I could have had one sooner without any issues I'm sure.

1. coffee? Do many people continue to drink coffee post-op? If so, do you still use creamer, or just milk?

I don't really like coffee, but I drink a skinny caramel machiatto from Starbucks when I want a treat. I have no issues with it. If anything it took me awhile to realize that any version of milk that isn't skim makes me sick- I think it's the milk-fat. I avoid creamer mostly because I don't want to get the hot flash puking result that non-skim products tend to cause for me.

I drank a pressed juice from Whole Foods about 2 weeks post-op. I don't like smoothies because the sugar in them tends to make me sick, but a juice with more veggies than fruit doesn't bother me at all.

Using a straw is the only way I was able to get all of my Fluid, or really any Fluid in, especially during the first few weeks. I tried to drink without a straw and it hurt my throat and my chest, so one day I got that pressed juice I mentioned above and before I realized what I had done I drank the whole thing through a straw. I have used straws ever since. The only reason they tell you not to is because for some people it contributes to gas build-up in your stomach.

Nope..I start my day with a sugar free Redbull and crank out the caffeine from that point forward. If you can kick the habit, during surgery is a great time to do it because all the narcotics they give you eliminate the caffeine withdrawal symptoms. There's not medical reason you can't have it though after about 6 weeks if not less.

I would review all of these questions with your nutritionist since every program has it own set of protocols. Here are my responses.

I am not a daily coffee drinker. I was told early on not caffeinated drinks since is can cause acid in the stomach. I drank Decaf until week four and then I started having coffee on occasion but only in small doses. Instead of cream I used a vanilla RTD Protein drink or almond milk. I still only have coffee on occasion.

I have a juicer and a nutra bullet. I rarely juice because all you get are the concentrated sugars in liquid form as the Fiber and nutrients it contains get tossed with the pulp. Hence I would only occasionally juice then freeze the juice into ice cube to add to smoothies made in my nutrabullet. I use my nutrabullet almost daily.I have used it since I was discharged. I would mix my powdered Protein shakes in them. It was helpful to get my Protein Drink mixed smoothly. Early on I added almond butter, chopped spinach and fruit to them. I watch the fruit sugars & use unsweetened fresh fruit. smoothies have been my got to Breakfast for several years now. I take a 9 am Water aerobics class 4 -5 days a week and I don't like working out on an empty stomach but can't eat a heavy meal pre-workout. By the time I add my greek yogurt to my Protein shake I get 30-38gms of Protein in one shot.

My nutritionist advised against them, especially early on. You suck in too much air and that can cause gas in the tummy. There's just not enough space in your belly to have it filled with gas.

I don't think it's forever, just those early days when there is a tendency to have acid and/or reflux.

Again, you should review these questions with your nutritionist since they are the ones managing your care.

Are you pre or post op? When I was preop I was very concerned about giving up coffee (had to have my daily cup to start the day), giving up drinking through straws, giving up caffeine and carbonated drinks (was addicted to diet mt dew). I am now 13 days post op and have not missed any of them one bit. The way I look at coffee/caffeine/carbonation is...if I'm not missing it, why bother trying it to see if I can tolerate it? That's the mindset I have right now...may change a few weeks or months down the road.

ive always been a coffee person and I started at 2 weeks post op because its the only thing that "moves"me lol!!I use creamer or powder.just cant live without it!ive never been a soda person and I don't use straws.havent tried smoothies yet.just not into the sugar.im 14 weeks out!!yeeha!!

1. I stopped drinking coffee 6 months prior to surgery when my nutritionist explained how hard coffee is on the stomach lining and the effects of caffeine on the hunger hormone and as a diuretic.

2. Havent had juice since more than the 6 months out. throughout this process, I've learned that I'd rather eat fruits and veggies than drink the calories.

3. Was told by my program not to use straws period. So I don't use them.

4. See #1

coffee. Every. Day. With Creamer. Coffee was never banished in my program. Not a smoothie girl so I've no opinion on that. I use straws with no issues. Again, not something that was banned in my program.