Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op and terrified!

So here I am

I have seen the psychologist and dietician and surgeon

I have a date for surgery for feburary 9

I have ordered all Optifast supplied for. The 2 week preop diet

Have ordered all my Vitamins

Have a follow up appointment with my GP 2 days after getting home to see if I need more pain relief

And I am terrified...excited...but scared

Scared it will hurt, scared I will regret my decision and scared I will fail to reach my goal and it will all be for nothing (having failed so many diets before)

The dietician I saw was pretty judgmental and it all seemed to be about the money...I am sure they see fat people as loosers who can't manage themselves and as a cash cow for their business...sorry if that is harsh but that is how I felt....judged

The surgeon will not go ahead without the dieticians package so I am stuck

My BMI is only 32 but I have prediabetes....I know this needs to happen

I just feel like such a looser for letting myself down like this

Thanks

Please try to stop worrying,think of all the thousands of people who have gone before you.I can only tell you about my own experience.I can honestly say i had only discomfort and no pain,I know some people have complications but the whole experience went like a dream for me and I was back at work in 10days.I was very worried as I had a terrible experience with a gastric band with plenty of complications though again I know some people don`t.I am 66years old and thought I would be off my feet for a lot longer.Please get in touch if you are still worried.Pippinleicester

@@Rosie77 You will be fIne, see the dietician to make it through the process, once you get your surgery you don't HAvE to see them ever again if you don't wan to.

All this worry will be a thing of the past 5 minutes after you wake up from your WLS! And 7 days after you won't even remember you had surgery and 1 month later, you'll know this was the BEST decision ever! You're going to be healthier and lighter and feel soooo good! Just look forward to this with excitement, not fear. Good luck, stay positive and you'll love it, guaranteed!

We have the same surgery date. =)

I've had my own fears and worries as well, excited and nervous at the same time... but in the end it will all be worth it! The day I got my surgery date I was happy and a bit depressed at the same time, happy after all the months of hard work I put into it paid off and it got approved, and depressed that I was to the point I actually needed surgery to lose weight. But since then I've come to terms with it, not everyone has the same journey and mine just happens to include a surgery.

And don't even let that dietician get to you, haters gonna hate. heh No one is perfect, just because she may have nutrition down doesn't mean she's got her life together, she's obviously got some internal issues if she's going to treat her patients like that.

Thank you all for the positive responses

I know it the rite thing to do, and I excited about my new life

Going to try hard for the next few weeks to ignore all the negative feelings and focus on the positive

Thanks again

And I will keep you posted

X

P

As a mother of 2 younger kids and phobic of anesthesia, I was terrified, too. I did it anyway. Has it been completely smooth, absolutely not. I had many of the potential complications. BUT. They are temporary and life on this side of surgery has settled down - 9 months out and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Take the leap. Don't listen to anyone else. DON'T worry about not reaching your goals, that will be OLD news after the surgery. Trust your surgeon and medical team and the folks here. Best thing I ever did for myself.

Nothing beats a failure but a try, so stop feeling like a failed and you did the heart part already. The hard part was making a decision that you wanted to lose weight and you got the process started

Oh wow. I was second guessing myself too. I was scared before surgery but honestly once the IV was in and I was in the holding pattern for my turn I began to relax. I knew this was right for me. After surgery I was excited to start my new life. I went through a period where I wondered if I made the right decision but I have since come through that and realized I was more caught up in the habit of eating than in the need of food. Now food is second on my list. And that's okay. :)