Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Privacy: How easy or difficult was it for you?

I, like many other bandsters like to keep my surgery private. Unfortunately, I work in a position that requires the wearing of a uniform. When anyone is injured, or for females who become pregnant, we are required to move to desk duty and wear civilian clothing. My surgery was done 12/31/14, which I took several days off for after informing my Supervisor (no way around it). When I came back, because of the healing process, I had to be placed on desk duty for the 4 week healing period. Of course the rumors fly because everyone assumes I am pregnant. No one will ask if I am even ok, except for the ones who come in on the following shifts. If they ask, I just tell them I am fine and leave it at that. But the other ones are (ask they have asked me) only concerned about how long I will be taking up the desk position(s).

Trying not to stress and let it affect my results, but people are drama.

On a side note, my husband wanted to indulge the rumor of our expecting (he works at my dept. as well). He's willing to accept the congrats!

Edited by bandedlarodgers

Privacy... I never did tell anyone and still do not unless they can benefit by my story to make a positive move in theirs. It to me was sort of like getting augmentation only on a slow scale. No one really cares until you look differently! At that point I was able to say it's all about Portion Control and exercise. And it still is. Sorry since you are on light duty it may bring about questions. Best wishes on your journey!

I also wear a uniform and had time off.....I told people I had a minor surgery, .......no one asked what it was but I was ready with a ulcer, or some other excuse, gall bladder .....whatever ....my uniform is getting big on me now, but nobody has asked and when they do I will say I am watching what I eat

I like your plan lol I may have to follow suit. An ulcer wouldn't be unbelievable either. I think they know they typically stress me out lol!!!

I also didn't tell people about my surgery. Some people can be so judgmental and I didn't want to hear it from them. When people at work asked why I was on restriction I just told them I hurt my back. I healed very quickly and was back to work in 3 days. Congrats on taking control of your life and best of luck to you

I had a hernia repair with my surgery. Everyone knows about the hernia. That is my story

I was on vacation when I was banded ......I returned the next a little sore but nothing noticeable. I decided against telling people cause I work with a bunch of hens lol.....I was also going to the gym before my surgery and my weight loss was very slow so it worked out ok.

Every other Sunday, I come into work to see a different shift work of people. Today I saw the group I hadn't seen since surgery/modified duty/plain clothes status. I walk in to see where my post is for the day and this girl yells in front of everyone "Are you on light duty?". Immediate reaction was to throw my hands up like isn't it obvious since I'm not wearing uniform? She's like (again in front of everyone) What happened? Are you ok? The only thing out of my mouth was I don't go around spreading my own news (business would have been a better term but I was confronted). Although it was nice to find someone who had asked about me and not how long I would be taking up a desk position, I didn't feel it right to make that announcement. Then I left the area.

Not how I saw that one going down! LOL.

Every other Sunday, I come into work to see a different shift work of people. Today I saw the group I hadn't seen since surgery/modified duty/plain clothes status. I walk in to see where my post is for the day and this girl yells in front of everyone "Are you on light duty?". Immediate reaction was to throw my hands up like isn't it obvious since I'm not wearing uniform? She's like (again in front of everyone) What happened? Are you ok? The only thing out of my mouth was I don't go around spreading my own news (business would have been a better term but I was confronted). Although it was nice to find someone who had asked about me and not how long I would be taking up a desk position, I didn't feel it right to make that announcement. Then I left the area.

Not how I saw that one going down! LOL.