Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post surgery and I am still struggling with eating solid foods

Hi everyone,

I had my VSG back on Dec 22 and today was my first day back on regular foods. Well regular foods minus the bread, rice, Pasta, red meat, pork and sugars that is. Today I tried Breakfast turkey sausage for the first time in months, and needless to say it didn't stay down. I think I kept it down all of 20 minutes before it was too much bloating and belching to the point that it came back up. I find myself struggling with I guess the eating slowly. And by that it seems like waiting 3 to 5 minutes between bites is not enough time. Besides the turkey, I had issues with soft chicken too where it just seems like it doesn't want to go down. Anyone have any other recommendations on what I can do to try and keep the stuff down? I know I need to give myself time to let my body heal, but the not keeping actual meat Protein downs is worrying me. I know my body is starting to go into Ketosis and I am not doing it any favors by not getting in the recommended Protein and Water amount.

@@BigTink2LilTink I still feel that way 10 weeks out if I eat to fast. I still rely pretty Heavily on my Protein Shakes although I can eat almost anything to make sure I get everything in its shakes. You may just need to let more time pass.

I *can* eat solid food, but I don't really like to - it makes my stomach hurt, too.. I guess I'm still eating too fast.

Like Elode, I get my Protein from drinks and kind of eat just for the fun of it.. a bite or two here or there. I was sleeved 12/9.

The last time I did a Protein shake the bloating it caused had me in pain for almost two hours. But yeah I can't just rely on yogurt and Cereal alone to get my Proteins in. I will probably do more of the shakes this week. Right now pure Water has been the only thing I can get down consistantly without any issues. I am getting about 40-64 ounces of it in a day now which is good on the days I do it. But bad on the days I don't like today. The bad breath and thrash for the ketosis is brutal right now.

All this is telling you..... Is that you are still healing .... At three weeks when I was done with liquids ... I went to soft/purée .... Turkey sausage would not have been a choice ... Even when I advanced to more solid foods... tuna and chicken both came up on me. Now I am almost 5 months out and I can eat everything . I thought I would never get here ... But it just takes some healing time. Listen to your stomach, bringing your food back up does not always mean you

ate too much.... You may not be ready for that particular item at this time. I wrote everything down .... So I could remember what I ate and the reaction my stomach had .i would then go back and try it a few weeks later. I do have certain foods I stay away that cause bathroom issues ... Trial and error ... Alyce

I was sleeved 3 days before you and I am still in pureed stage. Eating solids is just too soon. I won't be on solids until day 40 post op. Just don't force it and give yourself some time.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I think I will indeed try and go back to the Protein shakes for now and just stick to two or three bites of some of the solids until the stomach heals which I was told could be another month or two from now. Man I didn't realize how mentally challenging this journey was going to be until now.

Sounds like you are attempting some pretty heavy foods for just 4 weeks out. What was the protocol that your nutritionist suggested? As others have mentioned it's typically, shakes/all liquids>purees (baby food texture)>soft foods>regular food as tolerates. With each stage you have to eat super slow. Start with easier to digest foods like chicken and eggs. Remember to keep a 30 minute window on your meals where you do not drink and Water or fluids.

Do not worry about ketosis, on a short term basis it won't harm you. If you still have trouble call your nutritionist.

My doctor has kept me on two shakes a day and one small Protein filled meal. When I first heard this at my second check up I was surprised, and a little bummed. But actually it has really worked well for me. I usually keep my meal for dinnertime to eat with the family. It has been going really well for me.

It does sound like your tummy may not be ready for certain solids yet. Try to keep with mushies still for awhile. Do you have a Protein shake you like??

Good luck with this, give your tummy some more time and you will get there!!

Sounds like you are attempting some pretty heavy foods for just 4 weeks out. What was the protocol that your nutritionist suggested? As others have mentioned it's typically, shakes/all liquids>purees (baby food texture)>soft foods>regular food as tolerates. With each stage you have to eat super slow. Start with easier to digest foods like chicken and eggs. Remember to keep a 30 minute window on your meals where you do not drink and Water or fluids.

Do not worry about ketosis, on a short term basis it won't harm you. If you still have trouble call your nutritionist.

Yeah I didn't think it would be that heavy since it was in the list of approved Protein, but I guess I am so wanting to get back to a sense of normalcy that I wanted it to work out. Yeah I am indeed going back to the Protein shakes at least for the next few weeks as I am starting to increase my workouts from just cardio to resistance and weights. At work the only thing I have been eating has been yogurt since it seems to be the only food I can put down without issues at this time. Cheerios too i guess. But yeah it seem like poultry has been giving me some issues as of late.