Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of pain meds?

So I'm allergic to asprin, tylenol and NSAIDs (includes ibuprofen). What the HELL am I going to get for pain meds???

Edited by laurenella82

Allergic how? What's your reaction to those meds?

well, after surgery you definitely won't be having NSAIDs. What do you use currently for pain? At least in the hospital you'll have a PCA more than likely, which will have some sort of narcotic in it. Hospitals are *very* relucant to send people home with more than a few days worth of narcotic pain meds though, so your options may be limited. I second the other question - how "allergic" are you?

Walgreens has Adult Extra Strength Acetaminophen in Cherry flavored liquid (store brand). Getting sleeved on 1/29/2015, recently grabbed a bottle for when I come home. Hope this helps.

Sorry, didn't notice you mentioned being allergic to tylenol as well.

Short answer: Dilaudid or Oxycontin are the two meds you'd likely be prescribed for at home use (and given IV while hospitalized), if you have a true allergy to the meds you listed. Both meds are available in liquid form and are extremely effective for pain control. There isn't anything stronger that's available.

Many doctors are reluctant to send patients home with either of those meds because of their strength, increased risk of respiratory distress, as well as their addictive properties. If you have a true allergy to acetaminophen by itself - not combined with another drug, then you'll probably get one of those meds.

A true allergic reaction includes itching, a rash, hives, itchy tongue, swelling, respiratory distress.... Nausea or GI upset is not an allergic reaction; those are side effects.

Tramadol is another option. But obviously this is a question for your surgeon.

I have an anaphylactic reaction so I avoid most pain meds like the plague! I'm mostly given codine sulfate for pain but I remember it not helping much with my c section pain.

@@laurenella82, that sucks! What in the world do you take for a random headache? Menstrual cramps?! I'm sure you'll be in good hands at the hospital, and you'll be asked a million times what your allergies are in pre-op. Be mindful though that some hospitals have started administering IV acetaminophen, so that would be a no no for you; and be really cognizant when it's time to be discharged that:

1) They don't accidentally give you pain pills or liquids that contain acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

2) That you've been given a safe and strong enough prescription for at home use.

3) That you have an Epi-pen for at home.

I hope everything works out for you!

@@BitterSweet* codine sulfate. But I don't like taking it so I usually just grin and bare it. Maybe I'll be one of the lucky ones who don't need pain meds once I'm home.

Ikr! Stranger things have happened! I'm getting my mind psyched for the worst. I realized long ago that I'm not a special snowflake and all I can really do is try to be as prepared as possible and pray. Stay in touch!

Exactly! You too!!

I have hep c, so I can't take tylenol either. Motrin upsets my stomach, so I suspect they will give me oxycontin. I'm sure they will give you these meds

You are assuming that you will need something for pain. I didn't need anything for pain past the actual day of surgery. Surgery was a breeze