Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are your thoughts on smoking before and after Gastric bypass surgery

This is really a struggle for me because I'm a smoker. I have cut down a lot because the only time I smoke is when I go out and that's once a week, usually Friday night. I know that your surgeon will not operate on you if you are a smoker but I don't really consider myself a smoker because I maybe smoke about 2 - 3 cigs a week. I've even gone 30 days without smoking. What do you think. Also if you have any tips on how I can quit it would be appreciated because obviously cold turkey does not work.

They say at least 3 months prior to surgery. Quitting the smoking is easier if you have a support person and different if you chew gum. I swear having gum is a quick fix for a stressful moment.

Edited by Jugido64

I know I shouldn't be smoking and I have slowed down to maybe 2 or 3 a month and I think that's good then a pack and a half a week. It's hard to stop cold turkey, but I have heard the gum helps with the cravings and I'm definitely going to try it.

My understanding is the same as @wannaBthinsoon. My surgeon tests for tobacco products, and any at all in your system WILL cause the cancelation of your surgery. The book they gave me with their instructions does not specify how long you have to be tobacco-free before they will schedule you; they may have said it verbally, but since I had already quit I didn't note it down. I do recall him saying that if you can't break the tobacco habit, you have zero chance of being able to follow the instructions and requirements for recovery and care of your pouch for the rest of your life, which is why he has a hard line on this item.

At some point, you will have to quit completely and stay quit for the rest of your life. Just like you will have to follow a severely restrictive "cold turkey" diet for a few days or weeks leading up to your surgery, and there are some foods and habits you will need to say good-bye to forever. These are not easy - not by any stretch - but that's why this site and others exist to help and support you through it. We've all been there, and it's miserable at first but gets better with practice.

Hope this helps.

The only thing I disagree with the Doctors when they say if you can't quit smoking then your chances of succeeding after surgery will decrease because one has nothing to do with the other. The surgery is a tool to help me control the my eating habits and unfortunately there is no surgery that I know of to help with nicotine cravings. So the 2 are very different. I know that I'll follow all the rules post surgery and I'm gonna figure out how to quit smoking but it's just really hard. I've even prayed about it, asking the Lord for help.

My idea is to try the gum to control the cravings, and try to stay home, because going out seems to be the trigger. I'm fine at home. I Don't even think about smoking at all, it's just when I leave the house and go out and party.

Nicotine prohibits healing. If you are intending on a surgery soon, ,you need to give up the nicotine entirely. For me it was easy. I smoked 2 packs of cigs a day for 35 years. I decided I wanted WLS and to live a longer life, so I threw my "full" pack of cigarettes away and never looked back on the day I decided I wanted surgery (a year ago). I weighed the pros and cons. What is important to you? To be healthy enough for surgery and have the best outcome without complications? or continue to smoke and not have surgery, or lie about it, have the surgery, end up with a leak that can either be repaired or not. Live or die? I chose to live. Believe me, I loved smoking. But I want to live more. Smoking is my past. Living healthy is my future. I hope your choice has you living a long and healthy life as well. All the best, my friend.

My physician didn't "test" for nicotine however there was extensive talk around the subject. There was also a requirement to be tobacco free for at least 3 months. That being said I am a reformed smoker and a previous surgery while smoking cured me. Hacking your lungs out is not good after abdominal surgery....just sayin.

I'm with @wannaBthinsoon. I wasn't a "heavy" smoker, probably just a pack/week. But when I decided to have surgery, I added the quit smoking to my preop to do list, along with cutting out caffeine, drinking more Water, and eating slower. Three months before starting my two week preop diet I smoked my last cigarette and never looked back. I kept finding partial packs in a drawer, in my truck, etc. And I just threw them away. It was really a matter of priorities for me. My surgeon does not test for nicotine and I was not under orders to quit. But being healthy and reducing the chance of any surgical complications more than outweighed the nicotine fix.

Edited by Kindle

True @@Kindle I totally agree and that's what I keep telling myself, but the painful truth is I enjoy smoking cigarettes when hanging out with friends. I'm more of a social smoker, if that's a thing...lol

True @@Kindle I totally agree and that's what I keep telling myself, but the painful truth is I enjoy smoking cigarettes when hanging out with friends. I'm more of a social smoker, if that's a thing...lol

That's exactly what I was....Maybe a cigarette before or after a board meeting, but mostly just when out with friends. In a way, I think that's why giving it up wasn't so bad. It was a mental thing, rather than a physical addiction thing. And being successful with WLS long term is all about the mental battles.

I'm not a smoker, (both parents died from smoking related causes) but my oldest son is, and is trying to quit. He has been very pleased with the vapor cigarette things. He's been able to gradually decrease the nicotine concentration over several weeks, but still use the physical crutch of the actual cig in hand thing. I don't know if that is any help but just a thought. Also the Patches, they gradually decrease in strength as well. I think most insurances would cover things like the Patches. I know our health dept advertises them free a lot.

I was intrigued about vapor delivery systems but I haven't seen much research about long term because it hasn't been around long enough.