Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein vs. Calories? How much to survive?

Hi guys! Is there a set amount of calories we should be consuming? The emphasis is always on Protein, and I can meet my Protein goals with two Premier Protein shakes a day (30 grams each). Each shake is 160 calories, for a total of 320 calories. If I'm taking all my Vitamins, drinking tons of Water, and consuming the shakes, do I need more calories than that?

I am on week five and have no issues consuming more (totals are usually in the 600-1000 calorie range including solids), but hypothetically can I survive and thrive on the above scenario?

I am about 5 months out and my dr said I should be aiming for 1100 calories a day. As a side note, I'm eating a significant amount less than that and have lost about 70% of my excess weight so it's possible he has tailored this number calories to my specific situation. I have trouble getting the calories in consistently.

Edited by sunflowerchild

900-1200 calories a day, with men on the 1200, women toward the 900, according to my NUT, but she said if you really are burning calories, to get more in. Don't try to equalize by burning the same amount of calories you are consuming. NUT advice has worked great for me!

I dont think 320 calories a day for a long term is good for you at all. I think you need about 500-800 calories a day just to survive..

I'm 9 days post and am consuming around 600-700 cal/day. I never feel hungry but I do get thirsty. Greatest thing to keep in mind is Protein intake, 60-80g will be low in cals. Its carbs and sugar that have most cals, and keep you hungry.

@@LightlyMyDarling People are giving some great comments and we all have great intentions here, but if you are asking questions about what you can survive on...as in live vs die...you need to talk to your surgeon and nutritionist and not rely on a message board to give you answers to life and death questions.

Our doctors customize our plans on an individual basis and our health is monitored on a regular basis, so please do not rely on our well-intended responses on what will and will not kill you.

The purpose of the surgery and the nutritional plan pre- and post-surgery is to help you reach a healthy weight that you can maintain for a longer life. Please don't think this is meant to be a russian roulette how-little-can-I-eat starvation plan. That's not what the sleeve is about. I urge you to consult with your doctors on this issue.

Best of luck on your journey!

Edited by AlwaysVegas

I agree, I think the OP is getting into the opposite end of the spectrum of danger that she had prior to the surgery.

I'm 6.5 months out and still consuming about 800-1,000 calories a day. According to my doc, Protein and fluids are the key, especially at your point in the journey. Any carbs should come from non-starchy veggies. Good luck in your journey!

I'm 6 weeks out and only get in about 400 cal per day. I have 2 Premier Protein shakes as well, but I can only eat 1 egg and maybe a baby bel mini cheese and 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt for the day. I just feel too full for anymore. I figure as time goes on, I'll be able to consume more. My doc is not really concerned about my calories at this point. He just wants to make sure I'm at 65g Protein and staying under 30g carbs.

I'm 9.5 weeks out and my surgeon told me 800-1000 day. She also said after 800 calories if I'm still hungry drink a Protein shake.

I know what you are going thru. It's physically challenging to get enough calories. I'm at 4 months post op and should be at 1000 min. I'm averaging 600 and now really pushing to hit 1000. As a net result, my body has hung onto every calorie, my weight loss has been about 10 lbs per month and I'm sure I have nutritional deficiency. when I'm hitting 1000 cals, the scale drops again. You will find a balance.

I know what you are going thru. It's physically challenging to get enough calories. I'm at 4 months post op and should be at 1000 min. I'm averaging 600 and now really pushing to hit 1000. As a net result, my body has hung onto every calorie, my weight loss has been about 10 lbs per month and I'm sure I have nutritional deficiency. when I'm hitting 1000 cals, the scale drops again. You will find a balance.

If your having trouble hitting calories,may I make a suggestion , since the one thing i have mastered over the years is taking in calories... Add a home made Protein shake, but use almond milk or yogurt and add some Peanut Butter and honey or some frozen fruit for a few extra calories.. I know if you take in too little calories your body will shut down and go into starvation mode which you dont want. you wont lose the weight you want and you will be unhealthy..