Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The "bariatric Blues"

Hello all! Well I had my sleeve done 12/9/14, I went back to work 1/5/15 and went to my surgeon yesterday 1/7/15, he to me out of work again. :( I'll be reevaluated on Tuesday. The reason he took me off of work is Bc 1)I'm a hairdresser at a really, really busy salon, 2) I'm extremely exhausted. I've been taking my Vitamins and have been getting B12 shots ect. My problem is I can't get any Protein down, maybe 1/2 of a Protein Shake. My Fluid in take is very little. And food is very little as well, so I have no fuel for my body. I'm scared Bc I feel like I let my boss down and the other stylist, they have to pick up my clients. So when I walked into my surgeons office he said well "you have the bariatric Blues" which I totally do! Sometimes I regret having this procedure done. My weight loss has been slow, 22lbs since surgery and 32 all together. Plus I went in monday for and apt and the scale said I gain 2 lbs.. I was hysterical.. Hoping this all gets better!! I just keep telling myself it'll all be worth it in the end :) thanks for letting me vent! :) I'm going to a support group tonight, I think that'll help! :)

Hang in there. All the hassles, trouble and pain is worth it to get a 2nd start on life. After just 6 months, I had gotten past all the initial adjustments - gas, diarrhea, constipation... ect and it was like I'd been living this way my whole life. B)

Take it slow it takes me over an hour to get a Protein Drink down and you have to find one that you can tolerate. Praying for you I just had mine done 12/29 and so far all has gone well.

Take it slow it takes me over an hour to get a Protein drink down and you have to find one that you can tolerate. Praying for you I just had mine done 12/29 and so far all has gone well.

congrats @@Granddaddy!! I'm so happy to hear all went well! :) thank you for your prayers!!

@@kymmiej11 I had mine on 12/17 and work at a library and went back to work the same day as you. I am doing great with getting my fluids in but "soft foods" are not working for me even though my nutritionist said it's okay to eat them now. The closest I can really get is anything "very" pureed or baby food.

I can't seem to stomach the powdered shakes. I will wait a couple of months before trying them again because I had such a bad reaction the first time, but I wanted to suggest (pre-made) premier Protein shakes. They are the consistency of milk so not thick like a powdered Protein shake, only have 160 calories for 11 ounces of Fluid and 30 grams of protein and only 1 gram of sugar. (I only need to drink 2 of these a day.) Around here you can get these in an 18-pack at costco, a 12-pack at sam's club, and a 4 pack at food Lion. (It's very expensive to get the 4-pack!) costco has a deal right now where you can get the 18 pack for 19.99 instead of 24.99. It goes until the 28th I think. I highly recommend the vanilla (tastes like sweet milk) and the chocolate. (The strawberry was terrible for me!) They are so thin and pleasant tasting that they're very easy to get down. You don't get too much of the protein taste like you do with powders. I hope this helps!

Edited by heynowkc

My doctor sold me nectar whey Protein Powder that has no flavor and dissolves completely in everything. I love it. I blend everything. I had an egg blended with the powder and hummus, delicious!

Those are the ones I drink I found one in San Diego that was 50 Protein it was like drinking a shake when cold was very good haven't found it in Memphis yet.

It definitely takes some time to get back to "normal" as far as emotions and energy level for sure. Take the time you need and don't undervalue self-care! Good luck!

It definitely takes some time to get back to "normal" as far as emotions and energy level for sure. Take the time you need and don't undervalue self-care! Good luck!

Well this coming week will be my 6th week out of work, today my energy level is at an all time low, my stomach hurts, (tmi) diarrhea, Migraine, and lost 11lbs in 2 days... I spoke to my surgeon and he's sending me to the ER for tests, hope all goes well :( thank you all for your support!

Don't flip out over 2lbs gain. That alone could simply be Water. You just had major surgery and need to take a moment of "me" time. I do understand that can be difficult at times. But your health is important. Depending on your stage start slowly to add in things during your say because you HAVE to do this to get your groove back. You will be doing it however in tiny steps. As a hairdresser you should have time for a sip every client throughout the day. Start a plan like a sip every 15 min and move forward building. I know starting out it sounds so far off key. But little things will help get you where h need to be.

Hugs of support!

@@kymmiej11 I bet you'll have access to Nioxin at cost. That stuff does great on thinning hair. Hairdressers work their butts off, so I can def. see you being exhausted. The weight loss varies for everyone. I lost a lot of weight then it slowed down. I worked out and worked out and I couldn't burn anymore than what my body was willing to part with. Soon you'll be falling out of your pants and shirts like me, then you can complain about your clothes not fitting... It is the best thing I've ever enjoyed complaining about.

I def. suggest that you make sure your taking Biotin and your Vitamins. I didn't notice my hair thinning until a couple weeks ago. I upped my Biotin and got some Nioxin and its coming back quick.

In terms of regrets... think about this to help... there is nothing you can do to go back now. You can only go forward. It's a lot to go through but you said goodbye to bad habits and hello to exciting new good habits. In a year, you'll look back and laugh and be telling people the same thing. I was scared to death at some points but I just had to stay calm, realize there was no going back and all I did was say good bye to high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea, bigger clothes and insecurity. I hit my goal weight of 220 lbs today. I'm not stopping yet.

@@pinkbunies thank you for your support, I went and got a ct scan today and a blood test all came back alright but my ct scan shows the pain I'm having is from gallstones, so I find out tomorrow if I'm gonna have my gallbladder out this coming Monday, I'm just happy they'll be an end to the pain.. And that my levels are all good :) I can't wait to look back on all this and laugh..

Hang in there! It honestly took me 9 weeks to get my stamina back again. This is a major change to your system and it takes some time to get back into the swing of things. I really don't believe those 2 pounds are going to stay. I would call them a fluctuation that you had the unfortunate timing to weigh in at the doctor's office. You will lose weight..........You don't have a choice at this point! Have you tried Premier Protein shakes? They give you 30g of Protein and are only 16o calories and delicious. You can get them at Sam's......best price, costco, and small packs at Walgreens, Kroger and Walmart. Keep taking your Vitamins that is crucial. You are going to be fine once you get past the adjustment.......I promise! :)

There's a new premium milk out too called Fairlife. It's ultrafiltered so it has 50% more Protein and a lot less sugar they also add lactase. It has 13g of Protein per 8oz at 80 calories. It literally was only released last week. It should be nationwide though. I use this now with my Protein powder for an extra kick of protein.

http://fairlife.com/our-products/fat-free/

But even if you want to sip on that it's got that 13 grams per cup.

So sorry you are having trouble Kym. I hope it's just the blues. Let us know.

"I've got to stop readying this stuff, my surgery is tomorrow and with all the problems it makes me wonder if I should bail. I'm hoping there are many who don't post and are doing fine after a few weeks. I saw some older ladies (like me) 64 yrs or so a week after surgery and they were great. Little pain, drinking and eating ok. I just keep thinking about them."