Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello!

I am going to be having my surgery soon, 32 days till THE day.... and I have ALWAYS had an issue with hair loss. With my hair already being thin and fragile I've come up with my own home remedy that works wonders (when I remember to use it).

I melt down some coconut oil in the microwave, then add the shea butter, grapeseed oil, pure Vitamin e oil, and tea tree oil. Occasionally I will add a few drops of lavender essential oil. I never measure, these are the kind of mad scientist moments that I thrive on. I use my immersion blender to whip it up into a creamy flurry. Slather it on my head very liberally and let it sit for about 10 minutes to half an hour or longer - the longer it sits the more your hair absorbs it seems. I assume if you are sensitive to essential oils you may not be able to let it sit to long if they affect your eyes. Then it takes about 2-3 shampoos to get it out of my hair. The end result is amazing, my hair is nourished and soft the whole week. Any leftovers of my concoction I put in the refrigerator in a small microwaveable bowl or jar to heat up to soften and use later (I'm not sure if refrigerating is even necessary).

SO with the anticipation that I will not have any hair left if it starts falling out even more after surgery, I was wondering if anyone else had any good tips on natural ingredients to use in such a hair mask. Oils, essential oils, Vitamins that can be broken down, etc that your hair feeds on. I've been searching Hair loss threads and there are so many, and I am sure there have been suggestions before... I'd appreciate them! =D TYIA

I will be taking Biotin and other vitamins/minerals orally of course.

I'm on Rogaine for life. Repeated bouts of Hair loss for one reason or another has caused so much damage to my hair, that it's never fully recovered. I use a hair line called Posh Hair Care. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this stuff. It's pricey and does nothing for hair loss, but it makes my thin hair look AND feel like I have twice as much. No kidding. It is fantastic and makes me so much less self conscious about my thinned hair.

@@BitterSweet* awesome, I will have to look at those! Ever since I was a teenager I could sit there and run my hand through my hair and a handful of hair come out like it was nothing. I have to make sure to brush it just right when I pull it up to not look like I have giant bald spots. I was watching QVC one night and they had a wig presentation and just shaving it off and going to wigs was tempting HAHA =D

Lol! I have a couple on standby. If I don't need them I'll save the wigs for Halloween or donate them with my fat girl clothes.

Your hair mask sounds wonderful. I will have to make some. In the past when I lost a lot of weight I had some Hair loss and I began to use emu oil and emu oil Shampoo and conditioner and that helped so much that people commented about how nice my hair was. I ordered mine from a company called emusing secrets, but I am sure any quality emu oil products would work. If my hair starts to fall out this time I am going to order some and start using it again.

@@glitter eyes Thank you!! I'll read up on that one, I hadn't even heard of it. That's why I love this site. =D