Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I made a mistake .....

So today I was at work and I did something I really should have...

My good friend who I hadn't seen in a while came by and brought the office a platter of edible arrangements. I stupidly,without thinking, popped a chocolate covered piece of banana in my mouth. I am only two weeks out after being sleeved and have only just started eating pureed foods..

I don't feel sick or anything, but I'm kind of scared! Will I gain weight now?! Anyone else make a mistake early on in the game with food they shouldn't have had? I also feel like I can tolerate a lot of foods that other people wouldn't be able to.

Old habits die hard..

No, you're not going to gain weight from eating a piece of chocolate banana , lol. I think pretty much all of us have popped something in our mouths without thinking, especially in the early stages. It's the residual effects of our old mindless eating. Just don't make it a habit.

It isn't a matter of IF you are going to make a mistake, it is WHEN. We all do it. Please don't beat yourself up. These things happen. I AM quite glad nothing happened though. Phew!

Just be glad. Dumping experiences I would wish on no one.

It is, but holy cow I've had some really close responses with the sleeve. My system is very very unpredictable. My surgeon indicated no one did with the sleeve.

Guess what? Later they started saying in a few rsearch articles that it happens. I'm like oh yes it does! The memory of holding on to the fridge and being on the kitchen floor, the first time, I won't forget that one.

1 bite of anything isn't going to cause weight gain. The main thing is to be vigilant in the future and not let 1 bite lead to a 2nd, and then to a 3rd. (I can't claim to be completely perfect about this, so I'm not throwing stones, just a handful of of Nerf rocks. :P )

You might call me lucky/unlucky because I wasn't able to tolerate much of anything my 1st month. So I wasn't tempted and was really forced to change my eating habits. I ate only the few things Frankensleeve would put up with - Cream of Mushroom Soup and Peanut Butter. I kept testing new foods, but it was a long time before I could eat more than a tablespoon full of anything.

As we all know, food comes in all shapes and sizes......and tastes (and numbers). It's all still "food"

Now, of course, the trick is.....how much.

No, you're not gonna gain weight......(that is as long as it was only one you popped one...and not the whole platter.)

The deal is to try to monitor the "what" and the how much of the "what" as in counting all the nutrition values etc.

As many others have suggested, I have used MyFitnessPal since my pre-op diet......Every day, every single thing that goes in my mouth. In maintaining daily goals, you'll learn to make better choices. Teeny amounts of useless, high calorie, low Protein junk, just won't cut it anymore.

So, don't fret the occasional venture to the "dark side" .........it's all part of the learning process. ;)

While that one bite won't hurt you, thinking you can "get away with it" might. You will be much more successful if you can avoid slippery places. Use this experience as a warning shot that the temptations are still out there, and decide to try to always make the right choice. Good luck in you journey!

So easy to do - especially when you start feeling good and just forget for a minute that you had something done! I did it with a bite of donut at about 3 weeks. Just...forgot. My tummy made certain I wouldn't make that mistake again, at least not with the same food!

For what it's worth, bananas were on my "safe" list during purees since they're mushy. Not sure where they fall on yours, but they're probably too soft to do any damage. :)

I bet you're fine...bananas are squishy and chocolate melts. Did you chew it up real good? I bet it was delightful!!