Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are the best medications for scars and when did you start using them?

Mederma. As soon as you have a scab

@@hdd55146 I used the advanced Mederma too For day 3 and Vitamin e oil but honestly I don't think it did a darn thing for me but cost me 40 bucks! It was a nice thought though.

I haven't used anything on my scars and they are teeny tiny. I think my doc did a great job. The worst one in in my belly button so you don't really see it eiher. I already had a scar running from above my belly button all the way down to my pubic area from a previous surgery where I was closed with 5 staples :(

But my scars from my VSG looks great. I have one on my left side that we put a band aid on cause it was open longer and I have never had any issues with bandaids or latex before. Well the band aids left marks on my skin. And since we put band aids on both ways it now looks like a flower LOL It's kinda cute. :)

for scars from past things I've found that pure shea butter (not the treated yellow stuff) is excellent, it melts right into your skin and nourishes it, good for stretch marks too. i'm going to ask my surgeon about it. and I love tea trea oil to heal cuts and wounds faster, but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I used silicone sheets on scars and stretch marks during my 20's when I actually gave a darn. They are sticky on one side and can be left on for weeks. I found them effective, but quite pricey. Some scars will not disappear completely and hydroquinine is your best bet to flatten and fade. It will turn fresh stretch marks white.

I've used Mederma and don't care for it. I know others have liked it, but I never saw much of a change even after 3 months. DO NOT put Mederma on a scab. It is suppose to be used after the scab falls off and new skin has formed. Neosporin is best used on scabs for the first two weeks and then a scar cream. Bio-oil also does a good job fading discoloration and scars.

I used BioCorneum for my plastic surgery scars and it worked well, but honestly I used nothing on my sleeve scars and they faded in a year to a point where you could barely see them. I put it on at about the 2 week post-surgery mark.

I used Scarfade gel on my facial shingle scars. It's pricey but I had an unopened tube because the company sent me and extra one. I tend to keloid so I knew I would have some scaring. I started using it when my incisions scabbed over and I' still using it. So far all but 2 of my incisions are practically invisible. All are noticeably flatter than they were.

Wow! Lots of options. Thanks for the info.

I like the idea of the natural choices like shea butter and tea tree oil.

@blondiebabs did you apply the tea tree oil directly or did it have to be diluted with a base oil?

I haven't had the surgery yet, but in other instances, such as cuts, rashes, my cracked heels, etc... I mostly use it undiluted because I am not sensitive to it. It is recommended to dilute essential oils in general though. You can always mix it into the shea butter, melt it down for a few seconds in the microwave then mix. I actually create a shea butter mask for my hair mixing the s.b, coconut oil, tea tree oil, Vitamin e, and grape seed oil and I plan on slathering it on my hair a lot more regularly post op to hopefully help it from falling out too much worse than it already does. lol There's so many things the tea tree and shea are good for!

You can do a test spot on your arm or leg just to see if you have a sensitivity to it. It is a natural antiseptic.

It is one thing I'm planning on asking the surgeon about in my preop appointment at the end of this month, because I know it has made my wounds heal much faster in the past.

Edited by blondiebabs

Well there you go - I used mederma on my son's face after he got driven into a rose bush on a battery powered car by his older brother... I missed a couple on his neck. His neck looks like Kreuger got to it, his face looks like nothing happened. So I am fairly certain the mederma was the difference. I started it as soon as they were scabbed over, but they were fairly superficial cuts.. the only reason I cared at all was it was his FACE. So far as my laproscopic scars, I've never used anything on them.. and they're all pretty tiny.

My stomach already looks like I've been in a drive by because of previous surgery so what's a couple more. But I used cocoa butter and Vitamin e topically and by mouth after my knee replacements and they look pretty good.

Edited by kyrickchick64

I never used anything. I can barely even see my scars. But my uncle swears by coconut oil. He even used it on old scars from a knee surgery several years ago and they faded significantly.