Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Questions?

I had my surgery at the beginning of August 2014 and as of today I am down 57 pounds.....I am very happy about this success! I know in my head i do not get the Protein I am supposed to get in. I am losing weight and feeling great so I don't worry about it. Should I worry? Will I lose more if I make it a priority to get in my protein? Please let me know your results with or without the right amount of protein.

First, great job on your success so far!!!!

I was sleeved October 27th, 2014, and I'm down 59 lbs through today. I am making the effort to hit 80 g of Protein daily, and 90% of the time I'm hitting that goal. I'm always over 70 even on days when I don't quite get there, so I think I'm getting my Protein.< /p>

I'm not sure you would lose more (short term) if you make it a priority (protein intake), but I think you would be healthier. As we lose weight, we will lose a certain proportion of fat/muscle. As the body fat% dips lower, that percentage will change (which is why it's harder to lose those last few pounds when you are near goal.) But, that percentage of burning muscle to fat also can change if you don't get enough protein.

Your body needs protein in order to go about it's day to day processes. If you are not getting that protein in your diet, then your body will scavenge that protein from your muscles. You still might lose weight, but you are losing more muscle and less fat that way!

Less muscle equals lower metabolism as well, which means less weight loss (than if you had more muscle.)

In the long run, you're much better hitting your protein target, to help keep your metabolism up, and thus weight loss going.

Good Luck!

Edited by October Sleeved Indy

@@Thumper79 I got all my Protein in pretty much after the first week. I get at least 90+ grams a day. I am 9 weeks and I've lost almost 40 lbs now. I haven't weighed in a while but last time it was 36.

I will for sure try harder with the protein.....I know it's excuses but with 3 busy active boys it is super hard to do things for yourself.....making Protein Shakes to get my Protein in is a chore for me :) but a chore that I know I need to do often. I was happy with my weightless but you guys are really rockin it. Congrats!

Premier Protein is ready to drink, easy to carry, and yumalicious.

I tried the chocolate Premier Protein and do not like it at all! I have several powders and actually like them when mixed with fruit and kale.....I just have to get it in my head to make it a priority and make them every morning and night.

If you add something like greek yogurt (I refer FAGE) to your morning smoothie, you will have a Protein shake that is well over 30gms of Protein. That makes it easier to get the rest of your protein. However it is important that you do not let your kids become your excuse for not taking care of you. For many moms that how they became overweight in the first place. Plan your meals. If you are creative you can come up with things that the kids can have as well. Not getting enough protein is more than just weight loss. Eventually it starts to show in your skin, hair and nails as well.

@@October Sleeved Indy Hi Sleeve Buddy!! I was also sleeved on 10/27. As of this morning I am down 57.5lbs.

@@Thumper79 Definitely try to get your Protein in. I really think it is important Remember to make yourself a priority. Your health is important. Take care of you or you won't be able to take care of anyone else. :)

Good luck with the rest of your journey!!

Protein is good for your kids, too. Plan your shopping and your meals a week ahead of time. If grocery money is an issue, look for what is on sale and plan your meals around that. Have one day a week for batch cooking, like Rachel Ray does with her "week in a day" process.

For example get a couple of whole chickens (You can buy the roasted ones from the deli because they are already cooked.) One chicken you can use right away for dinner that night. Steam some frozen veggies and throw some melted cheese on it. Dessert? Maybe apple slices and Peanut Butter. Sometimes I thaw out some frozen berries and mix it with vanilla Greek yogurt,

Take your other chicken and tear it apart and make a casserole with it or a family pot pie. When it is time to eat, just don't eat the crust. Take the carcasses and loose bits and make a big pot of Soup.

Take a dozen eggs and make a big pan of scrambled eggs and throw in some ham and cheese and whatever veggies you like. In this house itis mushrooms, peppers, avocado, and Tomato. Or you can mix your scrambled eggs with salsa and cheese and make a dozen Breakfast burritos. When you eat yours, just don't eat all of the tortilla. or you can use store-bought pie crust and make a beakfast quiche just don't eat the crust.

If you take a large beef roast, you can have roast beef one night (with your veggies), save some back to make stew or Soup in the crockpot, or take some shredded and re-cook it in some beef boullion and Italian seasoning. Put that on Buns, maybe with some melted provolone, and you have an Italian beef sandwich - just you don't eat the bun.

If you get creative in the kitchen, you can get a lot accomplished in one day, and the rest of the week is just heat and serve. If your boys are old enough to help, they should be helping and learning how to cook and clean a kitchen. You can get them involved in the process by having a little sit down meeting once a week to discuss the plan ahead based on how to adjust their favorites into something healthy the whole family can eat. Maybe let them help with the shopping and pick out one crap item apiece

They can have spaghetti and meatballs, just you don't eat the Pasta. Meatballs with sauce and parmesan hits the spot and I don't miss the spaghetti at all. Yes, you can have pizza. You just won't want as much as you used to eat. Thrown some veggies on your slice, maybe even extra meat and cheese, and then - don't eat all of the crust. I may have two bites, and then scrape the rest off and eat it that way.

I have made fake-out buckeye candies by blending chocolate Protein powder with Peanut Butter, roll it into balls (about the size of a chocolate covered cherry) and dipping them in melted dark chocolate. Shoot, you can even dip strawberries in melted dark chocolate.

You could make a huge pot of chili and it will last all week. Taco salad is good and skips the chips. You could make a dozen hamburgers with cheese ahead of time. Kids like hamburgers. So, find something they like and cook it all in one afternoon. Get creative.

i

@@CheleLynn45 1st Sleeve buddy! Haven't seen anyone else on 10/27 yet. Looks like you are rockin' the sleeve! Great job!

@@Thumper79 Have you tried just drinking milk? A few cups of lowfat or skim milk has quite a bit of Protein as well. That might be a way to get it in without having to use the shakes you don't like. My NUT also said that skim milk with some added powdered milk can really boost the Protein per cup...I haven't tried that yet myself, though.

I've actually started drinking lowfat buttermilk (something I remember liking as a kid, but never had as an adult because it just didn't sound all that "healthy" :-)) I know now that each cup has about 9 g of protein, 2 g of fat and the same carbs as regular 1% milk. A cup 1st thing in the morning, a few throughout the day, and it really helps me avoid the Protein drinks.

@@October Sleeved Indy Thanks!! I am so trying to work this sleeve for all it's worth during these first 6 months.