Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision to RNY from Lap Band: Starting over

Hi Everyone,

I have been away for a few years and now I am back. I had lap band 7/8/08, lost about 40#s but have had 5 slips so not it is time to take it out. I have been as patient as I can be, tried to stay positive and not give up on the band, but I realize it was not right for me. Went to see surgeon about revision to RNY, have started the pre-work up and hope to have everything completed for surgery in Feb 2015. Fingers crossed that this will work, I am getting too old and my body can't keep up with all this extra weight. I hope to learn lots from those of you that have the experience.

I had lap band surgery 3/2/10 and did well with it. Lost about 80 pounds and from that point on was unable to get additional fills because of acid reflux.

I had RNY on 11/11/14 and I am really happy with it so far. No problem with the surgery and the recovery, was a bit longer than the lap band, but then I am four years older. I agree with you, I am getting to old and need to lose the remaining weight and keep it off.

Having had the lap band, we know most of the diet rules except now we have to watch our sugar intake. If feel that made the RNY surgery a bit easier, I already knew the ropes so to speak.

Best of luck with your revision!

I had my first band in March 2009, had 2 slips and removed this past May (lost 70 lbs) and gained a lot back while I waited for tummy to heal and a few other non related surgery's this year. Had RNY Dec 15th, so far things are going well for only 3 weeks out. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks Dmoon and Golflady! I agree that having gone through most of this previously I do know a lot, but still so much to learn. I have a meeting with the NP on Friday, medical clearance the week after, another nutritionist apt at the end of the month and then start my 3 sessions of "class". I was told the last week of February will probably be the date for surgery, but of course anything could change that.

Golflady, how are you doing? Would love to hear any insight you can provide.

I had band done 6/16/2009 lost 25 pounds had a slip they removed all my Fluid gained 9 pounds back while waiting for the slip to resolve. Had my band filled again and within 4 weeks slipped again with severe acid reflux. My doctor has deemed my band no longer functional and we are now starting the revision process to RNY.

Oompa-how are you doing? Is the recovery much different than the band?

Fora-similar here but I went thru a few slips DNS complete unfills. My first surgeon was very conservative (he only did bands at the time). My insurance changed and I have a new surgeon and he would have been fixing the slip by now. I have decided time for RNY for me.

To be honest I don't remember post band just learnt to live with eating different and I was 14 years younger. The removal of the band was amazing- still took a good 4 weeks to come right but I didn't realise how difficult eating was until it came out. I did expect full recovery for RNY by 4 weeks or at least close!! At the moment I am my happiest when in the pool. All my aches and pains just disappear.

@innwtitdtity I had a 3 week post op on Tuesday and things are going well. I am still on puree until Monday and have to eat much like the band. I am not in any hurry to get to solid foods and a little worried about how my body will handle it all. I would say the process is longer, takes 6 weeks before you can eat regular but it may take longer. I remember the band was easier when it came to drinking or eating because they don't fill for a few months. I am very careful about what I eat and when I do eat it takes me a long time to eat very little but I too realize how difficult it was it eat with the band.

I hit a plateau for about 5 days (week 3 I hear this normal) but dropped weight today for a total of 17 pounds since surgery on Dec 15th. I think RNY is a much better way to go and I wish I would have just gotten it done way back in 2009 but I was not ready to give up NSAID's due to arthritis. Now I am hoping the weight loss with help more then the meds so I will feel better in the long run.

Thanks for your insight, sounds like your journey is going good. 17# down is great! I am nervous, but like you I wish I had done the RNY 6 years ago -all the data I am reading does show great long term results. I don't have a date yet-still finishing the pre appointments but I know it will be here before I know it. I look forward to seeing how you continue on. Thanks for sharing.