Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dry Hair, Hair Loss, Too Slow Weight Loss

I had surgery on August 24, 2014.

It wasn't until about 2 months in that I started noticing way more hair in my comb after I wash my hair. And couple that with the feeling that my hair isn't as soft and luxurious as it used to be. Okay, I read about it, and was expecting it.

Now I'm starting to get concerned with the brittleness of the hair and the split ends as a result of dryness. Just not something I'm used to, nor do I want to get used to.

I am taking Biotin daily. 1000 mcg. What more can I do?

Next, starting this journey with in excess of 100 pounds to lose, I was told very seriously by my surgeon and his assistant that I would lose 40 pounds in the first two months. That definitely didn't happen. Yesterday, I weighed myself for the first time in about 7 weeks, and I was down only about 5 pounds since the previous time I weighed. And I've been sick for five days and am barely eating anything, so that five pounds could be the result of that. And now, 18 weeks post surgery, I am barely at 40 pounds lost since surgery. I've lost more weight than this without the added weight loss 'tool' of the vertical sleeve. And I'm frustrated. Very.

I am following the rules. Mostly. No, I'm not cheating. More than anything, I'm not getting enough in. I'm sure I'm not getting enough Protein in and I'm thinking I'm also not getting enough fat, either. But, I'm doing my best. I eat Protein at each meal. I'm not eating flour, bread, Pasta, rice. I'm not even eating potatoes (not my favourite).

I can't over eat, the restriction won't let me. If I eat too much, it comes back. And too much is sometimes 3 tablespoons of food. If I eat too quick, it comes back. If I eat Pasta, it feels yucky. Eating slow definitely feels the best. Fish is my friend, mild fish is best. Raw veg, which I love, take some getting used to in my tummy, so I'm eating cooked mostly.

So, my theory is, just based on quantity consumed alone, I should be registering weight loss. Oh, and I'm exercising, not like a fanatic, but at the gym in group fitness classes 4-5 times a week.

I know that I need to do what I can to help the weight loss along. I need to commit to the protein number. And that will mean going back to Protein shakes (gag) again. I am, for Breakfast, so I can get that out of the way. But there must be something else.

I read story after story of weight loss successes here, and want more than anything to add my own to the pile. I see others with surgery dates close to mine who have lost 60 pounds, 70, pounds, 90 pounds SINCE SURGERY. And I want to just keep losing.

I go for weeks and months without losing even a single pound. And I find it frustrating.

I can't undo the surgery, I can't change my mind. But I'm not feeling the love.

Thanks, everyone.

BarnGirlWK

@@BarnGirlWK I take 10,000 mcg of Biotin and I haven't lost any hair....yet. I think it's just luck though. Some lose and a few don't.

10,000 mcg? I thought 1000 mcg was a lot. So, 1000 is the largest dosage I've seen, does that mean you take 10 tablets per day?

When was your surgery? I didn't notice hair loss until after 9 weeks after or so.

Thank you @@Elode

Elode is right we 10,000 of Biotin and it will not stop the hair loss it helps with Hair growth. Plus some hair loss and brittleness could be lack of Protein. Hair is made up of Protein so you've got to get yours in.

Also it sounds like you are not getting enough calories and your body could be in starvation mode and holding on to all the calories for dear life. I've noticed that if I up my calories it will break my stalls.

And remember you can't compare pounds to pounds every body is different you can only compare percent of excess body weight.

Good luck. I'm sure your frustrations are only temporary.

Getting in a good amount of healthy fat every day will help your dry hair. So that's a place to start.

I think the most important thing you can do right now is to stop comparing yourself to other people. It's making you frustrated and unhappy. To quote Teddy Roosevelt, comparison is the thief of joy. Our bodies don't always behave like we think they should -- they are not computers where we put in the numbers, run an equation, and always get the exact and desired answer. And they certainly don't all behave the same way!

If you are not tracking your intake, I would suggest you give that a shot for at least a few weeks. Set yourself guidelines in terms of calories, carbs, Protein, and fat, and work on those carefully. Measure/weigh what you eat. This will give you a picture of what you are actually taking in and what can be tweaked, either higher or lower. All that said, it may be that your body is just doing what it wants, at its own pace, and tweaking isn't really called for. That's where the "stop comparing yourself" bit gets important IMO - it's hard to focus on your success and how well things are going when there is *always* someone losing faster, finding it easier, etc. You may even want to walk away from this forum and others if it is just making you unhappy (not that I want to see you or anyone else actually leave - but do what you need to in order to preserve your happiness and spirit).

Finally, I'll say I'm really angry at your surgeon and his assistant for telling you that you will achieve a set amount of weight loss in a specified time. I think that's incredibly irresponsible. I will tell you that I lost a lot less than 40 lbs in the first two months after surgery (yes I was following all the rules) and my bariatric team was thrilled with my progress and said I was doing great. So I think that you should silently tell your surgeon and his PA to stuff it ^_^

Holy Moly! I know how you're feeling. I'm 6 weeks out so far I've lost 25 lbs. I'm not complaining about that but as I've mentioned a prior post,I've stalled for two weeks. I exercise 6 days a week. I've upped my Protein 60 grm. Yesterday, I thought I had a break, only to find that I've gained a pound over night then mid morning I weighed and gained another pound? !! What? ! So..with my rant aside, I've decided to go to a dietitian who has knowledge with bariatric patients. As for your hair , I haven't experienced that yet but from what I've read Vitamins are important, especially Iron. I take (Liquid plant forced iron) try upping your Biotin to 5000 mcg a day. I also take liquid vitamins and minerals, fish oil and liquid Calcium. Bluebonnet chocolate protein is delicious and not thick.

Best of luck to you on your journey!

@@BarnGirlWK I just looked and it's spring valley brand. I am probably too early out to start losing but this Biotin strength Already has a lot of new Hair growth coming in and I haven't even lost any yet. I try to be easy on my hair. I don't wash it everyday, I do overnight coconut oil treatments on my hair and hot oil scalp massages. If it falls out then it just does, I have a super cute short hair style already picked out!

Thank you, everyone. Sounds like I need more Biotin (did not know), more Protein (did know) and more fat (yeah, okay)

I'm interested in a 'coconut oil' treatment. I have coconut oil. Do you use it solid at room temp or melted to more liquid?

And I'm definitely going to look for Spring Valley 5000 mcg Biotin at Wally. I only found two brands and one of those brands had two different dosages, 1000 mcg being the larger.

What about Shampoo? I heard something somewhere about a shampoo with tea tree oil in it? Anyone else?

BarnGirlWK

I noticed that my hair isn't growing as fast. :( I'm taking a lot of Biotin. I just want it to start growing fast again.

Tea Tree Oil is amazing. I'd check out Sally's Beauty Supply and get the generic. It's half the price at Sally's. They have the tea tree oil Shampoo. There is also Amazon if your lazy like me and don't want to go to the store.

First up, Get your Protein in. You body feeds off protein and when it doesn't get enough it start siphoning off other areas, namely hair & nails. Don't like the shakes? Try protein waters. Look for higher protein foods like greek yogurt. I too take Biotin. I buy 5,000 mgs biotin and take it twice a day. I buy mine from Target. I also use Jamaican Black castor oil and cold pressed virgin coconut oil on my hair, and drink plenty of Water. I'm a little under 4 months but so far, so good.

@@HappyinHollywood

I understand you frustration at stalling. The unfortunate thing is that the length of stalls further out only gets worse. As long as you stick to plan they will break. But be prepared further out you can stall for months at a time. Good luck.

Edited by dropdeadweightdiva

10,000 mcg? I thought 1000 mcg was a lot. So, 1000 is the largest dosage I've seen, does that mean you take 10 tablets per day?

When was your surgery? I didn't notice hair loss until after 9 weeks after or so.

Thank you @@Elode

I also take 10,000mcg. I get mine at meijer they also come I. 7500 and 5000.

Okay, I've upped the Biotin. I added super Omega 3 dosages. I'm getting Protein in. I'm adding oil (Moroccan oil, coconut oil, shea oil) to my hair. I'm noticing less hair on the comb and my hair actually does feel less dry.

Still no weight loss, though. My burden. :wacko: