Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone who has had gastric bypass change their mind and get it undone? I'm emotionally drained and feel this is the worse mistake of my life and just want to go back to normal. Please help .....

I think you could have your surgery reversed but I doubt insurance would cover it.

Theoretically, yes. But good luck fining a surgeon who would do it. Plus, your "plumbing" would never be perfectly the same. That being said, what's your story? I'd like to hear more. You must not have considered yourself "normal" to begin with or you wouldn't have had this done. Let's be honest; the maker didn't intend for humans to carry 400+ lbs on a 5'2" frame. That is not "normal". When did you have your surgery done and what are some of your issues?? Things evolve over the course of time. I'm always amazed at some of the posts as many times, these concerns could be so easily addressed by your Doctor. Maybe you need to speak to him/her. Or maybe you need to speak to a different one if you're not getting the help you need. If you want, you can email me at rtempes@cfl.rr.com. I'm 11 yrs. out and did have a revision after 5 years (to RE-do, no UN-do the surgery). Tell my your concerns; maybe I can shed some light?? Hang in there.

Good luck

Edited by rte837

I agree with rte837 why are you having buyers remorse you need to provide more information , your goal us to be healthy not unhealthy you already know what unhealthy feels like are you afraid of the unknown ? I would began attending up port groups and get into thearpy this is an emotional time fir you but being healthy outweighs anything . My only regret is not doing it sooner . Good luck .

I think you should speak to a counselor trained in this matter

I am with the others. Why the remorse?

From your other posts, it appears that you had surgery on 31 December 2014. That is not very much time. From my own experience, it was rough in the beginning but each day got better and better and when I reached the 6 month mark, I finally reached a happy state where all the problems were resolved.

Is it possible that you have a medical complication that needs to be resolved? This may be driving your underlying fears. If so it may be good to talk about it.

I suspect that you can have the surgery reversed but that it will not get you back to normal. Its like a patch on top a patch.< /p>

I regret it some days as I loved to eat, but food was killing me. At a month out I look forward to being able to eat more in time.

I had regret the first week. I was not that overweight before surgery but it was getting there. I was getting sicker. Now I'm 30 pounds down and that feels awesome.

food is a big part of life. In the next few weeks focus on not quantity but quality. Focus on single foods at a time. It will get better.

I don't think there is any going back and sadly there is no way to explain the feeling of this surgery to someone who hasn't done it.

I just love these cryptic posts, the outpouring of support and then chirp chirp. I hope she's all right.

I actually know someone who did have it reversed because her abdominal discomfort was terrible and she was constantly sick with stomach cramps and struggled with receiving nutrients. Yes, it can be reversed but I do think that the circumstances have to be extreme. Personally, this is one of the reasons why I picked the RNY. The sleeve permanently parts with a portion of your stomach.

My PA told me about one woman who had a reversal of her RNY. When you have the reversal, you do gain all the lost weight back pretty quickly and then some. Please remember that if you do this, and then change your mind, you will be hard pressed to have another procedure. One of the greatest joys in this two 9 weeks of my RNY is that I no longer have MORBID obesity. Now I am "just" obese. To me just not having "morbid" in my diagnosis is worth everything.

I urge you to wait. Also, speak with your surgeon and a psychologist if possible. Please let us know what happens.

I understand how you feel. I'm 6 weeks out and it's 1 thing after another. I'm still on purée food in which I don't eat because I had my esophagus dilated. I really want reversed but I'm praying it will get better. Hope it gets better for you!

Things got better quickly thank goodness. I'm on puréed also but everything goes down okay. My energy is back and no pain. Good luck hun

I also had an omg what did I do moment. For the first week then I stepped on the scales and had an omg I'm glad I did this moment. It's still tough some days watching co workers eat a big hamburger and think yummy but it's not for my tummy. I know I look so much better and feel better. My only real worry now is how do I stop losing weight. I'll ponder that problem when I get to my goal though and not a second before.