Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm starting puréed foods and have no f**king idea what I'm doing or what to eat and it literally makes me cry. I'm ready to just give up and stop trying to eat. Sorry for the annoying rant.

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you are having a hard time with? How much to eat? What foods to eat? How often? Are you having a hard time getting food down?

If you tell us you're vomiting every time you try to eat, that's a different problem than being uncertain of what to eat.

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you are having a hard time with? How much to eat? What foods to eat? How often? Are you having a hard time getting food down?

If you tell us you're vomiting every time you try to eat, that's a different problem than being uncertain of what to eat.

I don't eat anything. I'm having a hard time know what to eat, how, how to make it, etc etc....

For everyone else:

I'm already doing applesauce, cottage cheese, and all the other super generic stuff. The whole purpose of these phases in the diets are to get my stomach used to eating normal food, GRADUALLY... If I stick to applesauce during the whole thing, that isn't preparing me. That's the problem I'm having. I'm not sure if people understand that that's why we have different phases and begin to eat things more and more. That's my issues everyone.

To the people who had suggestions, thank you very much.

Have you talked to your nutritionist or doctor? The basic rule of thumb is Protein first. The goal is 60+gms of Protein a day plus 48-64 ounces of fluids. You should not be living off of applesauce. Call your nutritionist first thing Monday and express your concerns.

I've done the baby food.... I actually love it! Lol

I'm starting puréed foods and have no f**king idea what I'm doing or what to eat and it literally makes me cry. I'm ready to just give up and stop trying to eat. Sorry for the annoying rant.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!! You can do this. Start with the basics, hang in there.

Have you talked to your nutritionist or doctor? The basic rule of thumb is Protein first. The goal is 60+gms of Protein a day plus 48-64 ounces of fluids. You should not be living off of applesauce. Call your nutritionist first thing Monday and express your concerns.

Yes I have. I have been given very vague instructions on the puréed section. I know everything about protein and fluids, that's a given... But I'm moving on to eating. I just feel like no one understands. I'm not talking about liquids. I'm talking about moving on to actually eating puréed foods. My instructions were so vague, so essentially my question is what does everyone else eat? How do people come up with recipes and things of that sort? Do they just throw whatever in a blender? I've gotten like 3 recipes. I'm in college and don't have many options.

Yes I have. I have been given very vague instructions on the puréed section. I know everything about Protein and fluids, that's a given... But I'm moving on to eating. I just feel like no one understands. I'm not talking about liquids. I'm talking about moving on to actually eating puréed foods. My instructions were so vague, so essentially my question is what does everyone else eat? How do people come up with recipes and things of that sort? Do they just throw whatever in a blender? I've gotten like 3 recipes. I'm in college and don't have many options.

@@katmaar Keep it simple, do you like refried Beans? Go to the store buy a can of refried beans, some sour cream, cheese, hummus (or whatever toppings you like) heat up the refried beans in the microwave and add some cheese and whatever topping, that's soft/purée and it's good, and cheap for your college budget! Do you like lasagna? Buy some ricotta cheese (at Walmart it's usually where the sour cream is, at our store anyway) use A tub (doesn't really matter what size you get) add 1 egg , some shredded cheese of your choice, salt, pepper, (Italian seasoning if you want) Mix it all together . Add a thin layer of marinara sauce on top and bake it in the oven at 350 for appox 25-30 mins. Your basically just heating it up and cooking The egg. If you are in a dorm you can cook it in the microwave in a small dish probably 3-5 min if your making a single bowl. This is cheap and it's delicious. Blend some Soup or if it's soft just mush it up with a fork. Just find soft foods that you like, take small bits and chew really well. Take your time and listen to your body. Just try stuff, if something isn't agreeing with you stop eating it. Avocado is soft and good if you like that. Eat some grits for Breakfast. (You can buy instant grits in individual package to make in the microwave) If you need to thin them out a bit do it. There's so many things you can have you just have to look. enjoy being off of the liquids!

Edited by Elode

How do people come up with recipes and things of that sort? Do they just throw whatever in a blender?

Yes, literally you just throw stuff in a blender. Add a little liquid to make it the consistency of pudding. That is it! You can do chicken or turkey or tuna. Blend some chili. Add some cooked veggies to the meat when you blend it for a little different consistency and flavor. Put a little soft cheese in there. But YES, you just throw stuff in a blender. You can also Google "pureed food recipes for bariatric patients" (or something similar) and find ideas there.

Yes I have. I have been given very vague instructions on the puréed section. I know everything about Protein and fluids, that's a given... But I'm moving on to eating. I just feel like no one understands. I'm not talking about liquids. I'm talking about moving on to actually eating puréed foods. My instructions were so vague, so essentially my question is what does everyone else eat? How do people come up with recipes and things of that sort? Do they just throw whatever in a blender? I've gotten like 3 recipes. I'm in college and don't have many options.

A few things:

1) If you are unclear on what the doctor or nurse has said, you need to tell them that. It is their job to make sure you understand. Ask them for specific examples.

2.) The folks here have posted some suggestions but you have to try. I did some things in the nutra bullet, but mostly I made things up according to my taste buds. My handbook sites examples such as a soft scrambled egg for breakfast., a Protein shake mid morning, 4 tbsp. of tuna fish for lunch, 4 tbsp of chicken for dinner and a shake in the evening.

Here's how I make my soft scrambled egg:

I take 1 egg, tsp of plain greek yogurt (I use Fage 0%), I whip that together and top it with a bit of shredded cheddar. I either cook it on the stove in no stick pan stirring constantly or I pop i in the microwave for 1 minute. If microwaving it will be a bit under done when you take it out. Stir it together and pop it back in for another 10 seconds then chec to bring out and stir again.

You want all of your food at this stage to be fairly moist. You might add some broth to any meats you puree. If they are too dry they may be difficult to swallow and digest.

Edited by BLERDgirl

All these ideas are fantastic!!

I can't wait for cottage cheese and salsa. I miss hot food

I sure hope your reading all this because it took me forever to type that up! ;)

Thanks for the ideas.. I've just started puréed, and not everything is going down smooth... I have a good day and then next one where I think I will just drink for the rest of my life. Everything causes a commotion and rumbling inside.