Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ah! Penny! Why?!?!?(My 600 lb life)

Hi Friends,

Shannon, your totally correct. I taped the Penny and Tara Where they are Now and I thought for sure, there would be an announcement that Penny died. Is her surgery to reduce the stomach not working? or that not enuf stomach was made smaller? I forgot which surgery she had. Too bad she isn't on this site reading the comments about her. Her hubby had to go to the grocery for her and had trouble pushing her around for Halloween, the very holiday/candy she DIDN'T need to fill herself up!!

She is aggravating and frustrating and the doctor said he would do it again for her if she complied. Some people go into a slump/depression when they are heavy but not Penny....she does have a mind of her own. Too bad...the ball is in her court now.

TTYL alese

totally addicted to my 600lb life!!!!!! and I hated penny because of her excuses!!! I think that the surgeon is amazing for working with these people, but I think they all need more time to prepare for a complete lifestyle overhaul! I say it all the time...had I not had the nearly 8 months preop and all the tests, I believe I wouldn't be ready when the time came. I've been doing everything in my power to work my sleeve and the program in its entirety. being only 6 weeks post op it still makes me crazy that she feels shes "making progress" by only getting out of bed once every 2 months

And not to forget, how her husband was enabling her by bringing her fast food. And in the hospital of all places!!

It may be a reality show, but unlike other reality shows, this one teaches us the life of a morbidly obese person, the struggle and it inspires us to do out best. In no way they are making fun of fat people. As any other business the topic is a money maker for Hollywood but i think we can gain some education and realization from it. I am happy the show exists.

Edited by Pac-woman

I have nothing against Penny personally. In fact I wish her the best. She is exactly like us, in the sense that her weight has taken adverse control over her life. She reached the point where she had to decide whether to go on as she has been and face a pretty certain death, or take a chance on Bariatric surgery in partnership with committing to change her lifestyle. It's a pivotal moment that every single one of us has had to face ourselves.

My problem with Penny is that she's treating this once in a lifetime chance like a game. And even worse, she perpetuates the stereotypical image of fat people as lazy, slovenly, blobs of goo that sit around all day eating Bon Bons and watching TV, while more than likely on full disability. She has turned her husband into a full time caretaker and is only able to interact with her son as far as her span of reach from a bed that she chooses to never leave. And it is a choice in her case.

Yes, her husband is an enabler, but Penny is the problem. She's a born narcissistic manipulator and should had never ever been operated on in the first place. It's because of her and others like her that those of us who are ready to make the commitment are made to wait months, and sometimes years for our own chance at a new life.

Edited by The Candidate

I really appreciate the journeys that these people share. Some are so inspiring, some frightening and some like Penny, infuriating. But she is a poster child for why WLS is not a magic pill or the easy way out. That is clearly the attitude she had. It is a great demonstration of the fact that surgery is a tool and will not work unless YOU put the work in.

Looking forward to the new season!

YESSSS!! I was thinking the same thing, surgery helps but the rest is up to us.

The Penny update was so disturbing to watch. The therapist tried to shake her into reality but didn't see to get through at all. I found myself wondering if her husband has some sort of intellectual disability. The whole things is just so terribly sad.

I just finished watching her up date. Honestly, this is going to be bad and judgmental. Is she serious??? Her poor son and husband. Talk about denial! Watching her was like watching g a heroin addict choose the drug over their children. Her food addiction is out of control. I'm sure she loves her son. But, I'm sick watching her and how full of excuses she is.

Yes I sound like a jerk, but, I feel so bad for her son.

I'm normally not this type of person of being mean, becUse we all have weight issues In common. But she's gonna die within the next two years at this point

Her husband is in a rough spot. Yes he can just buy certain foods but unless he can block her out or leave her his life would be miserable. I myself see that I am going to have probs myself. I still like to eat and I am eating healthy but it wouldn't take much for me to give in and eat the wrong types of food. I am 8 weeks out and don't have everything figured out yet but I still have issues in my head. Food was my comfort food and I am so afraid of being hungry. It is kind of scary because a lot of people don't care that much about food after the surgery but I sure do. I am just praying for myself that I can do this. I also put in some prayers for Penny that she finds her way for all of them.

Penny episode was maddening, but clearly there were deep psychological problems there. Denial, persecution complex, controlling. Wasn't she physically/sexually abused as a child? More to be pitied than to be censured.

Head hunger is a tough problem, but you must believe that change is POSSIBLES, challenging, but if you have faith in yourself, absolutely possible.

Edited by Hetera

I look at all of them and say that would be me if I didn't have the will to move ahead in life. Penny loves her life the way it is. She lays in bed all day and everyone caters to her. She even makes dinner in bed! Her poor little boy. She even guilts him to feel sorry for her. The three of them are living in a bubble away from everyone. If the husband got out of the situation by going to work everyday, he would see he is not helping her. Penny has her husband and son under her control. And if she lives long enough she is going to turn the little boy into her enabler.

I am watching this show as I type this and was getting ready to sneak a little bite of chocolate and immediately changed my mind when I saw Pauline feeding her addiction.

Nope, nope, nope! Not going back to that.

In a sick sort of way, the ones who fail are often more inspiring to me.

I've seen so many of these and most of them are success stories but several of them are failures and one was even a death. It's amazing the lack of support that especially women don't get from their spouses. I don't like this show anymore , I find it too hard to watch. There is a really good book by Marianne Williamson titled A Course in Weight Loss 21 spiritual lessons for surrendering your weight forever. In it she talks about how emotional baggage packs on the pounds and until we deal with it we will fail at any attempt to successfully lose weight. She gives lessons and guidelines to follow to overcome this. It makes total sense. And this is what is wrong with Penny. For some who are self-destructive it could be alcohol, drugs, a sex addiction or compulsive shopping. But emotional baggage plays a huge part in it. I personally feel I am on the right path now and I don't want to do anything to screw it up.

Love the show. Penny was tough to watch because she never figured it out. She kept talking about her "progress" that was nonexistent. So sad for her little boy. I plan to remember all her excuses after my surgery (April 6) to inspire me to follow the rules.

Did any Redditors read the AMA about Penny, by her niece? I meant to read it and her answers have since been deleted.

(AMA here).