Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I only seem to feel comfortable on my stomach. I can't sleep on my side like how I used to, because my knees, shoulder, side, basically everything! Anyone know why? It's really annoying I can't sleep how I want.

I was sleeping on my stomach by the fourth night. Apparently it was better than the alternative of sleeping on my back which is painful for me. I would fall asleep propped up a bit on my back and wake up on my stomach. So glad that my incisions were not too painful.

Say what!! I wish! I have been sleeping propped up since I had my surgery on 12/30. I tried to get on my side but it felt like everything was pulling. I couldn't even think of trying my stomach and I LOVE sleeping on my stomach. I'm so jealous!

I wonder when can we sleep on our bellies? Any indicator or anyone remember how long after surgery? I am one week out.

i haven't even slept in my bed since surgery 12/9!!! i have been sleeping in my overstuffed recliner. I have an issue with the one incision on the left side that they had to re open and is healing now so maybe that contributes to it more than the original surgery but…hoping after another week or so it will close up and I can get back into my bed

Say what!! I wish! I have been sleeping propped up since I had my surgery on 12/30. I tried to get on my side but it felt like everything was pulling. I couldn't even think of trying my stomach and I LOVE sleeping on my stomach. I'm so jealous!

Same here, slept propped and on my back for about 2 weeks post op and I'd wake every day with aches and pains on my neck and Lower back. Around day 20 I could tolerate sleeping on the left side propped with pillows and about four days ago I started sleeping onmy right side. Still can't sleep onmy stomach, and that's how I always slept before. Sleeved 12-4-14

I wonder when can we sleep on our bellies? Any indicator or anyone remember how long after surgery? I am one week out.[/quote

So my doc

Said that sleeping on the belly is okay after a week, as long as you can tolerate it and you don't contort in a weird way as to open the external stitches; said everything on the inside is closed up well enough that sleeping on the stomach or in any position after a couple days post open won't hurt anything internally, just got to worry about not opening the external ones.

I finally was able to sleep on my back as I normally do and even slept on my right side last night. Finally a good night's sleep. I saw my doctor yesterday, he said nothing I will do will hurt anything. It's all about comfort and confidence, and he's right. Hope it gets better for us soon!

I had the same problem the first 1-2 weeks. I'm 3 weeks out and it's much better now. But didn't the doctor prescribe any liquid pain meds? I just took that before bed and was able to sleep in whatever position I wanted! Haha.

I'm having trouble sleeping also. Used to sleep on back and sides, but have only been able to sleep on my back (propped up) or in a recliner since surgery 12/22. I tried to turn to my side and it felt like my stitches were ripping. Ouuch! The first 2 weeks I only slept 2 entire nights, most of the time I got up because my back hurt and I walked for a while then sat in my chair, going back to bed for a few hours around 4am. The walking helps my back, but I am looking forward to being able to turn. Not sleeping normal hours and back pain has been my biggest issue.