Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hope I can wrap my head around this!

Hi everyone! Little winded, but here goes:

I had lapband surgery December 2011. I was up to almost 8.5cc's in my band by the time September 2012 rolled around, and had only lost 16 pounds. I was working out, felt no restriction, but at the time, the PA at my surgeon's office would not fill me any more, even though I had come in crying to her about the difficulties and frsutrations I was feeling as a result. I once saw her on a Friday, and again on a Tuesday, and even though I lost 3 lbs, I told her this is how my body has been, up and down five pounds for months now, I really need to find something that works, but she still refused.

Then I got pregnant. I wasn't planning on it so soon, but it happened. We took all the fluids out at month four, because I could not sleep from the pain and pressure. At six weeks, I got 2cc's put in, and three months later, another 3, and immediately felt TOO full. So we pulled 1.5 out, and here I am at 4. I relocated to a new state in June, and saw a new surgeon here in October. I told him how I'm not sure I'm too happy with my results. Day of surgery I was 216. I got down as far as 200, but kept going back up to 208 and back down. When I got filled after pregnancy, I was 223. I got down to 195, and am now back to 205. During the time I went from 223-195, I was not working out. I explained how I can eat the same thing twice, and once it goes down ok, the next time, no. Mentioned to him how another bariatric doctor in the practice said he was surprised I had not gone for the sleeve, as it helps someone with endocrine issues like I had, lose weight quickly. Either way, I said I am frustrated, I cannot believe that 195 is the lowest I've gone, and I am frustrated with these 10 pounds coming on as well. He said "well, let's keep a food log, maybe we need to tweak something there." That was in October. His office has called to reschedule with me THREE times since, and he is only in this office 1 morning a week, so it makes life more difficult as well.

I am seeing him on the 15th (fingers crossed no cancellations!). I just weighed myself today, and despite the fact that I have worked out three times this week, I am at 204.6! On Monday, I could barely eat because I was throwing up, and when I tried some Soup the following morning, I threw that up as well! WHAT IS GOING ON?!

Sorry this is long, I am so down and out right now :-(

This is only my feelings and past experience with the band.

First, when I got stuck, "Threw Up" as you call it, you can argue whether I was too tight or not. Fact is, I was positive because it was evidence that the band is actually doing something...good or bad, it was working! And the fills where making a difference.

Second, as the band changed, good or bad, I always felt (and still do) that it was ME that needed to change to get in harmony with the band.

Took some time, a lot of trial and error, numerous stuck episodes until I learned there are certain things I cannot do if I expected the band to work. And there are certain things I must do to work with the band.

That was the most frustrated time with my band, and no one could tell me exactly what I needed to do. Sure, there are rules, but they in themselves are not the entire answer.

I want to say more...but do not want to get "Flamed" by other people on this forum.....

@@MandiMand

You asked the question "WHAT IS GOING ON?!" I don't blame you for being frustrated with your loss of 15 pounds over the 3 years you've been banded. I've been frustrated myself when my band wasn't doing what I needed it to do.

I'll just state the obvious...you're eating too much compared to your daily caloric output to lose weight. Please don't take that as an insult. I ATE TOO MUCH AS WELL, that's why I needed surgery. As did most all of us on these forums. Just a fact :)

Why is the real question, and one that you and your surgeon can/should have a serious discussion about.

Is your band adjusted correctly for you? I'm a big fan of fluoroscopy adjustments. It can show your restriction level, correct band placement, and more. For me, a correctly adjusted band was the most important part of this whole process. Because it makes me eat less in the long run.

You said your doctor asked you to keep a food log starting back in October. What does it show? Net calories, etc? I'm guessing he/she wanted to compare your log with your weight loss to see if there's something else going on. You mention "endocrine" issues?

Best wishes!

B-52, I would hope you don't get flamed, your response is very honest, and not judgemental at all! I do know i need to make some changes, and it is so hard not to have that "magic" answer!

Catfish, I have sat back and tried to reflect. Over the last few days, I hav come to realize one of things I stopped doing after surgery that I have in the last few montsh picked back up, is drinking my calories. And it is not through Protein shakes, but juices, something that I gave up after surgery, and only occasionally enjoyed. Now it is a common occurence! Also, I think I sometimes don't call it quits when I feel stuck, rather I just keep throwing up, and if I get it out and feel ok, I start eating again! I think this may be an issue best discussed with my therapist. She too had LB surgery, about three years before mine, and she has been great at supporting me, good and bad, throughout this journey.