Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie - 2 weeks post op with loads of questions

My surgery became a little more complicated than planned and went for nearly 5 hours - in hospital 5 days. No visit from a dietician which was disappointing so given a handout on discharge. Surgeon indicated I would normally see him 1 week post op but due to the holidays it would be later. He actually is on leave until late January so it will have been more like 5-6 weeks post op. No one knows about the surgery. Initially I virtually ate nothing however over the past 4 days I have been so hungry. Struggling to find things to eat with high Protein. Hate Optifast so only doing that every few days. I am so fearful I am making my new pouch stretch. Today I had a poached egg for Breakfast, then on a journey to visit my son my friend bought 2 Magnum icecreams, I managed to eat 1/3. lunch was about 120ml of home made pea and ham Soup. 1/2 cup of high Protein yoghurt for afternoon tea, 3 teaspoons cottage cheese and 3 teaspoons houmos for dinner plus 3/4 cup of Soup and some paw paw planned for supper. Not drinking enough but trying harder. Not sure this is too much food. Minimal weight loss however I wonder if that is because I did not overeat prior to surgery. Lost 4 kilos since surgery 2 weeks ago. Had bad thigh ache last night in bed and sound wound pain today. That's my story, any advice would be welcome.

I can't stand Optifast anymore. Thankfully my nutrionist said not to force myself. You can get protein/fluid from milk and milo for example... and shakes. As in smoothies but made with milk, vanilla Protein powder and a little fruit :) you can add diet cordial to your Water if that makes it more appealing. Powderade is also good too.

Hope this helps :)

I am sorry to hear that you had a rough time and that your surgeon's has not properly prepared you for the significant lifestyle changes that are necessary with bariatric surgery.

As soon as I came home, I was allowed to go to full liquids.

At two weeks I went to purees.

At three weeks I started soft mushies.

At 4 1/2 weeks I could start regular food as tolerated.

At this stage 3/4 cup of anything is a lot. I started out with just a couple of ounces and at one month I was measuring 1/3 cup plus two tablespoons and was told to measure and never eat the last bite. It wasn't until six months that I could tolerate 3/4 cup. Now at one year, I can eat a cup of food, bu still weigh and measure so that I don't fall into the trap of over guressing by eyeballing my portions. That can get out of hand real quick. I can't see myself ever being able to handle more than a cup at a time. And please do not drink anything 1/2 hour before or after you eat. The fluids can not only stretch your new tummy, they can dilute you food and will wash it through before you can absorb any nutrition from it.

Going into your third week, you should be ok with eggs if you can tolerate them, but don't go eating two or three or four just yet, Your new tummy has some healing to do. Go to Youtube and watch one of those videos that actually shows a sleeve operation. That will remind you what your stomach has been through.

If you get hungry, go for liquids first. Those darn Protein shakes are a right of passage on the way to a healthier you. By the time you are a month out, you should be able to slack back and get your Protein from food and milk. You can get soft protein from eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, sugar fee pudding made with lowfat milk, Soups with Protein Powder in it.

Check the recipes forum for ideas and go to the blog called The World According to Eggface.

I hope you get to feeling better, and please don't over do it. Don't forget, ice cream has sugar and calories. Sugar and starchs make you hungry for more sugars and starches. For a while, just decline going in those places and socializing around food until you can get the strength to say no to temptation. Friends and family can undo your noble efforts very quickly.

When I had my surgery a year ago, my two week visit got post-poned because of frightful winter weather. So, at three weeks I saw my primary. If you have any further complications before you doctor returns, go to an E R . I wish you good luck and good health.

Miss Mac gives great advice. I'm only 3 weeks out; I started solids 3 days ago.

You need Protein for your wound to heal - my primary said 90 g/day. There are multiple nutrition trackers around - loseit, fitday, spark people... I'd pick one and log what you're eating.

The only thing I could do 3/4 of a cup of (and that's spread over 30 minutes) is clear liquid - Water, chicken broth, that kind of thing.. otherwise, I can do five (regular person) bites.. that is a meal for me. So I measure with a 'normal' eating spoon 5 bites that I would have taken before surgery. (I measured in a measuring cup first - it's between 1/4 and 1/3 of a cup)... but doing it by spoon fulls gives me variety.

What do your handouts say? I'm sure ice cream is not recommended. The general rule is Protein first, then veg. watch you simple carbs and get your Fluid & Water in. Similar to @@Miss Mac I was full liquids for 2 weeks then purees then soft foods. From week 6 onward I could eat what I wanted as tolerated. Some great things to eat:

Soups

yogurt, especially plain greek yogurt

kefir

eggs

low fat cheeses

cottage cheese

Beans

lean meats & fish (you may need to grind these up during pureed stages)

small amounts of nut butters

lowfat milk

small mounts of non fibrous green leafy veg

small amounts of fruit, either fresh or packed in water if canned

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advice, much appreciated.

Miss Mac is right on... I can't help but feel your dr abandoned you.... Does his office give you any support ??? I'm so sorry you are starting off this way!

Sending good thoughts your way. This site has an amazing support group and it sounds like you are filling in the blank just fine even though your nutritionist is out of the office. Early pain was an indicator that the sleeve wasn't ready for that type of food or quantity. Dial back to liquids as needed, take tylenol and don't hesitate to call the surgeon if the pain is more than what tylenol can kick.