Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long before you returned to work?

I had my surgery Nov 4/14 and was told to expect a minimum of 4 to 6 weeks off of work. I just went back to work January 5th (full time hours) and am finding it very tiring, even if it is an office job.....still having trouble finding the right foods that I can "stomach" and if I could I would actually take a couple more weeks off, they say it is different for each person. Some days I feel ok, and other days I feel horrible and yoyo working isn't exactly something my boss wants to deal with, so it is tough.

I had surgery on 12/8 and I worked from home somewhat the following week. Then luckily it was Christmas and New Years so I had a day at the office then the rest of the week off then 2 days and the rest of the week off and back to normal this week. So like 3.5 weeks. It was good to ease into it and I didn't get stir crazy being home straight.

I had Ruen Y on 11/12 and still have not returned to work due to complications. I am hoping to return on 11/26.

Oops, meant return to work on 1/26.

A little ways back I was the first one to reply to this post. I did have my surgery a week ago today. I had it on a Thursday and took Friday off and expected to go back to this last Monday. Monday and Tuesday came and went, i was home both days. I finally went back to work on Wednesday, i didn't think it would be so bad.

Think again, I'm home today. I was completely exhausted by mid afternoon and wanted to go home but didn't. One of my housemates works with me and I didn't want to be a putz and leave her there without a ride home. It was one very exhausting day and too much for me. I'm feeling better now. if I had this whole week off plus the Thursday and Friday I had off last week, i'd be much better prepared.

Take you time(if you have it). Our bodies need to heal and rushing it doesn't help.You will know when you are ready.

I had my RNY on September 22nd and I was off three weeks and went back to my desk job. Then a few weeks later I had major complications and had emergency surgery on November 12th and I was off for 8 weeks. First surgery was laparoscopic and super easy. Second surgery they had to open me up abruptly and it was the worst recovery imaginable.

If you can take a few weeks. Your body needs the rest. You can adapt to your new routine, exercise, nutritional guidelines and liquid intake. You dont realize how tired your body will get during the day. My original plan was 2 weeks off and work remote 2 weeks. Right after surgery i decided to take full 6 weeks. Having the sleeve wsd the best decision I've ever made. Listening to my body abd taking the time to recover was the 2nd best decision. I recommend it 100%. I too have a management position that in most cases is a desk job with 7 hrs of meetings a day lots of stress and fast pace. All of which is not conducive to a successful healing. In addition to my sleeve i also had hietal hernia repair. I have had zero complications. Also the time gave me time to deal with all post op without having to field questions from folks in the office. I decided to keep personal business to myself and husband. You will have so many dynamics and changes going on. Good luck

In my opinion three weeks is a good timeframe. I started working from home one week out and returned to the office right at two weeks. It was hard! I had very little energy. Wish I had waited, it was difficult for me and my family.