Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had back pain that started about 4 days ago, thought I just slept wrong. Well yesterday it turned out to be so painful I couldn't move, ended up in the ER with tears! Lots of them. This pain was worse then labor. I was told I have two hernias. I know they won't go away in their own and I will need surgery (hoping Dr. Can do this same time as WLS.) my only problem is I am not having surgery until end of February and if this is the pain I have to deal with daily I can't wait that long. So question is.... Anyone have painful hernias at some point but the pain goes away?

I had a hernia I didn't even know about, and the Dr. did fix it at the same time as my surgery. I hope the pain subsides until your surgery.

I had back pain that started about 4 days ago, thought I just slept wrong. Well yesterday it turned out to be so painful I couldn't move, ended up in the ER with tears! Lots of them. This pain was worse then labor. I was told I have two hernias. I know they won't go away in their own and I will need surgery (hoping Dr. Can do this same time as WLS.) my only problem is I am not having surgery until end of February and if this is the pain I have to deal with daily I can't wait that long. So question is.... Anyone have painful hernias at some point but the pain goes away?

Under the circumstances, would your doctor's office advocate on your behalf for a much earlier surgery? I would think it would also be in their best interest to get both surgeries done at the same time.

Edited by BeagleLover

I totally agree with BeagleLover. Sounds like an excellent reason to get both surgeries done ASAP.

I called my surgeon and he is scheduled to middle of February. My last NUT consult is Jan. 13th and we can't schedule until after that appt.

I've contacted another surgeon for the hernia and I have an appt on Monday the 5th. He also does WLS. Maybe he will get me in and agree to do both asap (highly doubtful but maybe???). Otherwise I think I will be having hernia before I have the WLS. Although we are self pay so doing hernia at the same time would save me a lot of money I believe!

I had my hernia repair the same time as my sleeve. It was about the size of an orange and I can honestly say that the hernia pain was way worse than the sleeve. You need to definitely get it taken care of because your sleeve will work best if the hernias are fixed.

I had/have a hernia the size of a melon and was in extreme pain. During the WLS the doctor was able to release the hernia but will not fix it until I have enough weight gone so the hernia repair will hold. The release did help with the pain.. If nothing else see if the Dr can adjust the hernia to help with pain... Just an idea...

I had my MIni Gastric Bypass in Tijuana at the INT Hospital with dr. Ponce de leon on Apr 23rd. I weighed 320 lbs and have lost 126 lbs in the past 8 months. I now run 6 miles every other day, am no longer diabetic, nor have high BP, Cholestrol, GERD, or sleep apnea.

I had only one minor issue and that was a week after I got back to Canada.

One of my centre incisions became infected, or rather a couple of deep stitches did, and it required me to see my doctor daily for six weeks so he could repack wound.

The infection had gone deep and I now have a small hernia below that incision. It doesn't hurt and pops in and out but causes no problem. I'll probably get it tended to when I get a Tummy Tuck.

The MGB is free in Canada but in my province of Saskatchewan the waiting list is 5 years. At 57 years of age I didn't have 5 years to wait so I paid the $12,000 Canadian myself for the flight and surgery. It was the best gift I've ever given myself.

INT is the cleanest hospital I've ever been in anywhere and the staff, nurses, and doctors were top notch. ponce de leon has been doing these surgeries for 18 yrs and knows what he's doing. They had a car waiting at the San Diego airport for me and drive me across the border to INT and then back four days later.

Well good news is... The NP in the ER had zero clue what she was talking about. Went to my family Dr and I was having muscle spasms(she read same ct scan has NP and it was completely clear) so no surgery for hernias needed!

WHY DO OVERWEIGHT PEOPLE GET HERNIAS MORE??? I had hernia surgery at the end of Oct.2014, which was very painful and recovery was worse than my lap band surgery I had almost 3 weeks ago, problem is when I had to have upper gi for surgery they found another hernia different spot. For some reason my surgeon didn't fix when I had lap band surgery and forgot to ask why. I'm wondering why are overweight people more prone to get ??

I had a 2nd hiatal hernia with constant pain for 3 months. Couldn't clearly see it on 2 upper gis and endoscopy. Felt like I had a golf ball stuck in my throat. As soon as they got a clearer picture, I had surgery two days later. Thankful to have asked for vicodin for pain relief. Also, be pushy! You have to be your own patient advocate. My surgeon who did my sleeve plus hernia repair #1, did #2 repair too. If he wasn't available I would have found an alternate.

There is no reason for you to suffer. If they can't temporarily get you out of pain with Rx, then they need to get you relief via surgery.

Just read your subsequent posts. Are you still in pain?

Not to bad bad anymore. I am a little sore (muscle sore liked I just worked out). What upsets me is the Np said I had hernias, rest up take it easy. Well with muscle spasms you don't want to lay on a couch for more then 1-2 days bc it makes it worse which is what I did via NP orders. My Dr told me to start moving, stretching, etc and I started to improve quickly.

Not once did the ER check me over physically. Never touched me more then to give me an IV. My Dr felt my stomach, back, etc and could not feel one hernia but could easy feel the knot in my back.

Not to bad anymore. I am a little sore (muscle sore liked I just worked out). What upsets me is the Np said I had hernias, rest up take it easy. Well with muscle spasms you don't want to lay on a couch for more then 1-2 days bc it makes it worse which is what I did via NP orders. My Dr told me to start moving, stretching, etc and I started to improve quickly.

Not once did the ER check me over physically. Never touched me more then to give me an IV. My Dr felt my stomach, back, etc and could not feel one hernia but could easy feel the knot in my back.

Edited by Riz2006