Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cancelled Surgery

@hco7416 & @@ojibway - Sorry you don't feel ready. However you do need a positive attitude going into this so perhaps it's for the best. As for support system. I'm not sure how key that is. If they didn't agree with the surgery they knew better then to tell me because they know how I am once I have made up my mind about something. I think it's important to have people who don't sabotage by teasing your with food, but most of this is up to you. I didn't even tell my family until a week or 2 before surgery. I am pretty self reliant and I prefer to handle things on my own. Sure, I did my research but I made this decision on my own. I will say to their credit they were there for me once they knew which was helpful with getting rides to the hospital form the procedure. I just knew this was right for me. Post -op my insurance covered me for a visiting nurse.

As for horror stories, yes they exist, but if you look hard enough, even a simple trip to the dentist can turn into a nightmare. I will say I wouldn't advise a newbie to read this site. The people with complications tend to be more vocal. Personally I had a really high BMI and was over 400lbs when I was sleeved. My doctor even had me get an IVC filter just in case. I had absolutely NO problems. I was up and walking in recovery and had no issues with gas, pain, Constipation, nausea, vomiting or anything else. I never used the morphine pump and didn't fill the script for pain meds because I didn't need it. I had no pain. It felt like I had done a really vigorous workout, but honestly, I've had worse menstrual cramps. I was able to drink with no problem from day 1. My doctor's protocol is 2 days inpatient. I was asking to go home after 1. I have had no issues with drinking my Protein shakes other than the typical boredom with the shakes after 1 week of full liquids. I even discharged the visiting nurse after my 2 week follow up. I went in on Thursday, was discharged on Saturday, had my first BM on Monday and have been regular ever since. I was cleared to drive at my 2 week follow up and returned to Water aerobics 3 weeks after surgery.

I use MFP and log my meals/water, and I work out at least 4 days a week. I am losing weight steadily and feel terrific!

@@Sleeve101 - getting your Protein & fluids in along with exercise is key. I hope the follow up appointments with your team help you get on track.

I wish you all well.

BTW - if anyone is on MFP or Vivosmart feel free to friend me. My username is Milaxx

Edited by BLERDgirl

here's to a new you, no matter which way you choose to go!

@@ojibway

???????

I'm very confused. Are you saying you cancelled your surgery because your family or friends did not want you to have it? Is this correct? Or do you mean that you were hoping that they would help pay for it and then they told you no?

I guess I'm a bit confused because I don't want the surgery based upon the opinions of my friends and family. I'm doing this for myself. Even if every single family member or friend were against this surgery I would still get it because it ultimately is about my health and my body, not theirs. Right now my sister is dead set against me having the surgery and tries to scare me by claiming she has psychic premonitions that I'm going to die and be horrible pain. So my response is to cut her out of my life until after the surgery. I don't want her negativity in my life right now. And this is sad because she needs the surgery more than I do. She thinks that she can do this on her own and now is into this crazy notion of hypnosis to make you think you have a lap band. Well, good luck to her but I'm getting the surgery.

Good luck to you but I would never cancel my surgery just because my family and friends didn't approve.

Not at all, I am a person that needs a good support system to succeed like I have at my job, I cannot do EVERYTHING for myself. My wife thinks that surgery should be my LAST option to lose weight.. I don't think I used up all my options yet. She has seen me at 245lbs to 360lbs and loves me for who I am either way. Paying for the surgery wasn't a problem either. We are financially blessed. Good luck with your surgery. Plus I would never cut anyone out of my life, life is way to short.

I get on this site (which is wonderful). But I flip flop everyday on my decision and what to do. Surgery still scheduled for 1/19. I want to have it but then panic kicks in and I get cold feet. :(

I really feel that I have to be in this 100% to go ahead with wls. I had been investigating wls for 3 years. There were a couple of times I did the first informational sessions and then backed out to try to lose the weight on my own. I lost it and gained it back plus more. Still I felt that wls was too radical a move for me. But after 3 years of watching my health decline as I age..I am going for it. There is nothing that will stop me from getting the surgery. If I am rejected by my insurance then I will appeal and start saving up to go to Mexico to have it done. This is going to happen. I am afraid of the pain and complications ...and I am going to face my fears. I could not have had the surgery even one year ago. If I was insurance approved I would have backed out at the last minute. Now I am in it to win it.

The surgery is just a tool as it's been said a million times before. If you're not ready yet to commit to it one hundred percent than it's to your benefit that you recognized this beforehand and backed out as you did. It's a very brave decision you've made and I applaud your strength in making it. Best of luck to you!

I understand these feelings. I always struggled to put them out there because I would have to defend MY feelings if I paid attention to every post. Thanks for sharing and I hope you feel better very soon. Now that it is done, we can only control our reactions.

Good call to postpone. You need to be totally prepared. I wasn't and I do regret it. I would have never done it. Even with all the research in the world, you never know what it's going to be like for you...and for me it's been difficult. I'm 6 weeks post op and more depressed now, than I was about being fat. I wish I could have my pre-op life back. I made a huge mistake.

@@Sleeve101 - How are you coming along these days? Are you still doing the pre-op testing or have you put that on hold?

Glad to hear it!

I felt the same way a couple years ago, I was ready, and determined to have the surgery. I had been on, and paid for every diet program known to mankind. I had lost and regained the same 100 pounds (plus more) each time. My hubs insurance excluded bariatrics, so I bit the bullet and paid for insurance at my job because they are advocates for bariatrics. I am so mad at myself for putting it off time after time. I gained at least 40 more pounds since last fall. When I took out the insurance and called my PCP and OBGYN and told them what I intended to do, the were over the moon happy that I took this step to save my life. Some of the negativity and drama on this site is enough to scare away anyone. But I am jumping in with both feet for my health. This is not about wearing sexy lingerie or a bikini again. It's about being here to watch my grandchildren grow up, and have kids, and enjoy my life and not be in pain when I make the effort to walk. The psych's and dietitians and nutritionists all have some really great ideas and advice, as well as the surgeons. Support or no support, no one will ever change my mind. I want to live and I want to feel good finally and for decades to come! I wish you all the best, but remember this tool is not for "them". It's for YOU. And don't you believe YOU are WORTH it? I think you are, and I don't even know you. Don't be hasty and make a decision you will regret. Talk to professionals about your doubts and your feelings before giving up on yourself. Sorry for ranting. I just know too many people who's lives have changed and improved after surgery, and are my support system (cheerleaders, really) They actually can't stop grinning, sharing, promoting, and supporting others. I wish you all the best in whatever you decide. Afterall, it is ultimately your decision, and you are the one who will live with the outcome. All the best. Sherrie.

Sorry to hear you don't have much of a support system Ojibway... my family doesn't really want me to have it either.. but I'm still going doing it. My family and friends will have to learn to support me.. I've taken care/supported them, the can suck it up and do the same for me. Lol best of luck to you.