Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BP, Cholesterol, Blood sugars etc not just weight loss and size

I haven't seen much about the co-morbids coming into range or getting resolved etc. I am not sure a forum such as this is for me. It all still seems to show that WLS is about the aesthetics. It's all about how much weight people have lost or what clothes size they are or if they need plastic surgery or a makeover etc., etc. This is frustrating to me because I got a band to save my life....not to wear a smaller size or be this or that to whomever wherever. I feel like I'm the odd man out here. It's entirely frustrating and part of me is disgusted with being angry about people and their superficial view of themselves and others. Didn't anyone here get surgery to prolong their life???

Um, yes. I did. And I'm down from two BP meds to one, off my cholesterol medicine, off painkillers and NSAIDS for my arthritis and take one pill and Vitamins each day. I've lost a hundred pounds and have a little over fifty to go. This in ten months. The band saved my life.

There has been much talk about this, perhaps not lately...

I had, before WLS....

LDL and HDL Cholesterol out of whack,

Triglycerides

High BP

Diabetes with daily injections along with Oral meds.

Neuropathy of the legs and feet...feelings would come and go, severe pain where I could not sleep

Constant skin infections (landed me in hospital a few times), cellulitis, eczema

Coronary Artery Disease...including one Heart Attack, resulting in Angioplasty and stents.

At one point, I was seeing 6 different Dr.'s all every 4 months....

None of these things could be brought under control...I was taking more pills than I can count, and was constantly changing doses...when we got one thing under control, everything else would go off the charts.

Finally my PCP sat me down, plainly stated I was a walking time bomb, and could die at any time...he doubted I would be around much longer...(I have a family history of such things, having lost my brother and sister at an early age from diseases/ailments from obesity)

He said if I could only loose 50 lbs, things would start to reverse itself.

Told him I wanted to loose weight more than anything, but every diet I ever attempted I started out good, then failed miserably...

He then said, as a LAST RESORT....I should go see a surgeon for WLS, and he referred me to one.

Fast Forward...now 4 years later...I have lost all the excess weight I possibly can, putting me at a very low body fat%.

I go to the gym every chance I get, and run 3-5 miles each time, plus weights.

ALL of my ailments that I mentioned, have been reversed. ALL my blood work is NORMAL right down the center.

No More medications!!!!

Only exception is my Cardiac condition..that is permanent damage and I will be taking certain meds for the rest of my life....but even my cardiologist says I am a walking miracle.

He sees cardiac patients all day, and no one can compare to me....(BTW he was against WLS, but now likes to take credit as though he was responsible)

All this because I had the Lap Band Surgery.

I don't use it, or refer to it as a "Tool"...on the contrary I let it use me..I let it be the Boss and I obey.

So what if it was the easy way out...EASY IS GOOD!!!! Why should I feel guilty about that??

And I don't need to apologize or make excuses to no one!

It's my life and I am enjoying it now more than ever. I HATE negativity...

BTW, I am now 63 years old....and going stronger than ever...

Edited by B-52

Oh, and I'm looking pretty damn good, too.

Oh yay!!!! So glad to hear people talking about their health related reasons. I think it's so sad that all people seem to say anything about is the other aspects of this surgery. I'm down 25 of the 75 I need to take off. Actually I'm down 30 now from office visit on 12/17. I've yet to do the post op blood work. I'm so very hopeful to lower my triglycerides and continue to lose fat not muscle. My last check in was 14 lbs of fat lost not one ounce of muscle. My BP was 110 over 70 and I felt great. This tells me my food intake is good, my exercise is good, my progress is slow and steady. I am alive and feeling excellent. I'm grateful for the health that is being restored.

I absolutely had lapband surgery to save my life . Health is so important at this point in my life . I was diabetic, had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. after surgery I no longer have any of those problems.. I do look good as well and I am happy that I get compliments on my appearance but that is not the only reason I had surgery. my mobility was becoming more of a problem as well. I can now walk as fast as my teenage granddaughters. All in All most weight loss patients want to feel better and look better there is nothing wrong with that.

I haven't seen much about the co-morbids coming into range or getting resolved etc. I am not sure a forum such as this is for me. It all still seems to show that WLS is about the aesthetics. It's all about how much weight people have lost or what clothes size they are or if they need plastic surgery or a makeover etc., etc. This is frustrating to me because I got a band to save my life....not to wear a smaller size or be this or that to whomever wherever. I feel like I'm the odd man out here. It's entirely frustrating and part of me is disgusted with being angry about people and their superficial view of themselves and others. Didn't anyone here get surgery to prolong their life???

Yes, I did. I had sleep apnea, diabetes (for 4 years) fatty liver and high cholesterol. My doctor said that my excess weight would take 10 years off my life. I remember how awful it was when my Mom & Dad died, and that my kids would be going through that 10 years longer than necessary. Also, I found a scientific study that said that, if you've had diabetes for 4 years or less, you'd be more likely to get rid of it for good.

My diabetes went away after 2 days. My sleep apnea is over with. I haven't had my blood work yet, so I can't say whether or not the fatty liver or high cholesterol has disappeared. I was told it would take 3 - 4 months.

I find it much easier to move around and exercise.

The best thing for me though is the peace of mind, knowing that the weight is gone and not going to yo-yo back, and that I'm making myself as healthy as possible for my family.

I noticed this post was made the day you joined the site, so it's not surprising you haven't seen much...YET. But keep digging/searching because there has been much discussion about how folks have improved and prolonged their life over the years on this site. Not everyone here is still "new" to this surgery.....maybe they/we want to talk about things after weightloss. We change and our interests change over the years. I can only talk about the best Protein shakes, what my pre-op diet was like, did I cheat on it, how is a fill done, does it hurt, for so long.

I like talking about other things sometimes now. New shoes, what bike I'm gonna get, which HRM are the best....blah, blah, blah to someone wondering how they'll make it until their mushy stage! ( They're STARVING after all! )

I'm not sure if you're using the APP or on a PC, but in my opinion one doesn't seem to get the same "picture" using the app as you do a PC ( full website ). On the app, you can't tell much about the poster.....time on site, time since surgery, weight lost, etc.....all of which play into what we want to talk about. I'd encourage you to get on the full site and do some searching. You'll find topics about EVERYTHING on here. Congrats on being off to a great start! :)

• Thank you for the input. It is usually the same on most bariatric sites. Very few talking about the "bare bones" of this deal and more about the superficial aspects. I've been a part of several support groups regarding WLS and again it's frustrating due the lack of autonomy and how we got here. I suppose I'm seeing my own reflection and in many ways it's mucking up my view. I wish everyone here the best and happier, healthier lives as a result of having banding done.

I am praying to get rid of my sleep apnea but still look forward to the day I can brag that I found onederland