Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, and I missed it, so can you vets offer your help again? So, I'm about 4 months out, everything is going well, losing weight at a good rate, I have no dietary issues, I feel great, so what's the prolem? I've only been out to eat about 4X since surgery, 2X for lunch and 2X for dinner, lunch I do OK, I get a sandwich and handle about half the serving, dinner on the other hand........ I'm finding I kind of dine the way I did before, a glass of wine, a salad or Soup, and when the entree comes, I can only eat a few bites and I'm quickly uncomfortable and calling it a night. Very frustrating, my wife and I enjoyed our date nights out but now its almost more trouble than its worth. I really don't want to do the appetizer menu thing, mostly high fat and high carb. I know its a learning curve and I have to discover how to make it an enjoyable experience but does anyone have a suggestion?

I suggest you look at menus online before choosing a place to make sure they have clean choices. Whatever you don't eat, no problem, take them home for extra meals.

I almost always look online so I know what I am going to order ahead of time. I personally would skip the Soup or salad and go for the entrée. I don't like most of the appetizers either. Also how do you squeeze in a glass of wine if your not supposed to drink 30 min before you eat? I always just order a glass of Water so no one looks at me like I am weird and then maybe take one little sip. Just curious as I am not at the stage where I can have alcohol yet.

Good luck-

LA

I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times before, and I missed it, so can you vets offer your help again? So, I'm about 4 months out, everything is going well, losing weight at a good rate, I have no dietary issues, I feel great, so what's the prolem? I've only been out to eat about 4X since surgery, 2X for lunch and 2X for dinner, lunch I do OK, I get a sandwich and handle about half the serving, dinner on the other hand........ I'm finding I kind of dine the way I did before, a glass of wine, a salad or Soup, and when the entree comes, I can only eat a few bites and I'm quickly uncomfortable and calling it a night. Very frustrating, my wife and I enjoyed our date nights out but now its almost more trouble than its worth. I really don't want to do the appetizer menu thing, mostly high fat and high carb. I know its a learning curve and I have to discover how to make it an enjoyable experience but does anyone have a suggestion?

I split meals a lot. Also a lot of restaurants have an "add on" option like add crab legs to steak and I will "add on" to someone's meal. I also do a salad with meat as a meal.

I also do do the appetizers. Crab cakes, ceviche, shrimp cocktail, poke...lots of healthy choices. Course you have to like seafood. Street tacos are on a lot of menus. I order just one and eat the insides.

Does your wife order healthy? Can you share with her? That's what hubby and I will do when I'm on solids.

Does your wife order healthy? Can you share with her? That's what hubby and I will do when I'm on solids.

Yes! Exactly what we do. I share with hubby or my kids (16 & 12) or sometimes just ask for an extra plate and eat a bit from each of them.

I'm 5 months out. I've avoided eating out since surgery. I had a formal function at 2 months and faked it through. Now I eat 100% of my meals at home. I miss going out to the occasional restaurant, but I eat like a bird. What's the point? I think about eating out and it seems like such a chore. Maybe when my capacity increases and I'm able to eat more than five fork fulls of food, I'll start eating out. Right now it's so non appealingly to me.

All great suggestions, thanks everyone, in fact went out tonight but I pre-planned before we went and it worked out better. Ordered ala carte, I liked it better than buying and not eating a complete dinner.< /p>

I am only 4 weeks out and have only gone out to eat once and just had Soup. My daughter had surgery a year ago and she and her husband go out to eat a lot. She orders something she knows she will eat leftover and has lunch for several days after.

As a single person I always have leftovers. But as a vegetarian with food allergies I've always checked online before choosing a restaurant. Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy. I'm even considering doing restaurant in my city next month.

I either split an entree with someone or order whatever looks good (and healthy) myself, eat what I can and take home the leftovers. Sometimes I just get an empty plate and nibble off everyone else's Entrees. Everyone is happy to share and I chip in an equal portion of the bill. Sometimes appetizers are not high fat/carbs. I went out with friends last week and ordered the 1/4 pound steamed shrimp appetizer with cocktail sauce. Probably the highest/purest Protein item on the menu.

Edited by Kindle

7 months out. My situation exactly. I do go out and I can tell people kind of get frustrated. One of my friends finally said "why do you even order food!" and it was the way it was said that was telling. With social events, and I like social events, food seems to always be involved! I've tried to avoid the food part. There's little point, it's a waste, etc. I just don't eat that many leftovers and it may be where I live or my network, but folks aren't just wanting me to eat off their plates every time we go out!

I'm 5 months out. I've avoided eating out since surgery. I had a formal function at 2 months and faked it through. Now I eat 100% of my meals at home. I miss going out to the occasional restaurant, but I eat like a bird. What's the point? I think about eating out and it seems like such a chore. Maybe when my capacity increases and I'm able to eat more than five fork fulls of food, I'll start eating out. Right now it's so non appealingly to me.

Edited by storytotell

Why would someone worry about what you are eating? Even when I was the sole vegetarian in a group of carnivores it's never been an issue.