Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My nerves and the Last Supper.

I have the t shirt you are describing. I am only 6 weeks post surgery and I remember vividly the fear that I was making a big mistake (why am I making a permanent change for what could be a temporary problem, have I done enough to prepare?)

Everyone has there own journey, but I can't tell you how glad I was I did this. Pain wasn't that bad, healing quick and results have been spectacular. Life is richer than I could have dreamed, getting a handle on this area of my life is changing everything for the good.

Confidence can't be faked. You will get it back when you see the change. Remember they are going to pump a bunch of Fluid in you via IV and it will take a week before you see losses on the scale. Get a MyoTape (http://amzn.to/1wrHGB0) to measure your arms, chest, stomach, hips and thighs. You may not see changes on the scale, but you will be amazed at the inches you will lose. You will want to write this down - trust me.

And prepare to shop for clothes - and enjoy it. I about lost it when the lady at Men's Warehouse informed me that I needed the smaller size ;-)

Breath deep, this is part of the process, the rewards are spectacular.

OKC: Thanks for the reassuring tone of your note.

Two days left until the big day.

The pendulum is swinging more slowly today than the last few, but the extremes of the calm vs nerves have both kind of increased in intensity.

Of COURSE this is the week that I have to let go one of my employees and another gave his two weeks notice.

Of COURSE the stress is unbelievable right now.

But I need to keep moving forward. This is gonna happen!

My Sleeve is on Thursday 12/18 and I am indifferent.

I am excited to get it over with I will say that but then having attended 2 parties this weekend having a few of my Favorite beers and thinking "well this won't happen again" was a bit depressing....not that I am a power drinker I just like quality craft beers...but then I also realized how uncomfortable i felt, just big and tired.....realized if all goes well that won't happen again either...which is an awesome to look forward to, but the time at home with the food or lack thereof is a bit concerning....especially over holiday. Then I think " what if it doesn't work, what if my thyroid is slowing it down as well" Dr feel all will be fine, i have asked all my questions, finish stocking up today, (broth and broth..lol)

My biggest concern is not being able to go to gym, when i am at gym the discipline that allows me to eat right is on point, without it I tend to lose focus....but time will tell.

@@Bob B hey buddy. good luck. hope you have a fast recovery. first week sucks, little sore and uncomfortable. I am 3 months out and over 70lbs down now. honestly I forget that I even had a surgery. I was never really nervous, but super excited and ready to get my life back. read all the success stories on here, they will pump you up and motivate you. healthy days are just around the corner. take care.

Thanks so much, guys. @Rovobay@quayle71

I know what it's like to worry about missing beer...forever! I am a beer nut, and that was absolutely the biggest thing I will be giving up from this.

But you know what? I'll also be giving up higher risk of heart attack, stroke, diabetes, etc. I also might end up giving up my CPAP, which would RULE.

13 hours out from my surgery, and I've calmed down a little.

Keep me in your thoughts tomorrow.

Bob and Quayle71 - Read this section -- it will give you something to REALLY look forward to in a short while...http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219760-sex-oh-my-god-sex/ I know the surgeons can't advertise this, but it is coolest thing ever. That and going to the gym and being able to do sit up and planks like a pro. I am only 6 weeks out and I've gone from 15 sit ups to 50. It' like being 17 again. I'm 51, but I still remember being 17.

Hi Bob, I am brand new to this journey. Although I feel nervous about having surgery I am MORE nervous about the quality of my life if I don't change it and get healthy. I will be 49 in May and my goal is to be 50 & fit NOT 50 & fat. I have 2 grandsons to keep up with and a wonderful husband to grow old with. I have come to realize that I am a great dieter. I have lost the same 50 lbs. 10 times over the surgery will be the tool to help me maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life. Remember...."Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." Wishing you Happy Holidays!!

Good luck on your surgery tomorrow. You can do this. Mine is the 6th of January. I am totally excited. Let us know how things go for you.

Bob and Quayle71 - Read this section -- it will give you something to REALLY look forward to in a short while...http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219760-sex-oh-my-god-sex/ I know the surgeons can't advertise this, but it is coolest thing ever. That and going to the gym and being able to do sit up and planks like a pro. I am only 6 weeks out and I've gone from 15 sit ups to 50. It' like being 17 again. I'm 51, but I still remember being 17.

What was the downtime from surgery to being able to lift back at gym.

Bob,

I wasn't scared at all, not even for one second, until I was in the operating room. It was right then that I became terror-struck. I got my hands on a Filipino nurse and wouldn't let go. I was yelling "Please pray for me!" at her. Mercifully they put me out pretty quickly after that, lol.

The surgery is a new beginning, a fresh start, and the best thing that is ever going to happen to you. Just keep thinking about what your life will be like in 3 months, 6 months, a year.

I'm exactly 6 months out today and have lost 79.5 lbs. I feel so good, and I keep feeling better every day.

There really is nothing to be nervous about. You will make it through just fine.

Quayle - Post Surgery Down time to gym -- I walked exclusively for exercise for a month after surgery (HINT - after two weeks, start putting some interval training in your walks - ie walker faster for a minute, then normal pace for a minute). I followed their advise to lift nothing more than 25 pounds and avoided core work to keep from stressing the stitches and stomach staples. I started with light sets, high reps and have been careful to be very observant of any pain signals as I have gradually increased weight. At end of week 5 started putting in core work. No gut made that much easier. I noticed a dramatic decrease in strength from where I was pre-surgery.

Met with NUT. She explained that eating too few calories was going to affect performance and would slow weight loss eventually. She changed my foods around to give me the energy to increase exercise levels.

IF you are going to add weights, you have to be VERY intelligent about your food choices. I am up to 120 grams of Protein a day and have added high quality carbs to my diet. Needed to add an extra meal. I was eating WAY below my caloric need (but at least 90g of Protein a day until I started weight training). The change in food resulted in very quick change in strength and energy level. I am about lifting about 85% of the level I was pre-surgery on weights, but things like sit ups, and pull ups are ridiculously easy now. I am looking forward to trying yoga again, now that I can actually see my toes when I look down ;-)