Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The honest truth about saggy skin post surgery

Hi, I am 25 and hoping to be approved for a bariactric surgery. I am 235-240 lbs and 5'4" so I am right at 40BMI. At this point I have scheduled my first appointment (Feb 5th) and I am hopeful for acceptance from my insurance company. I am curious at how you would honestly classify your body one year post surgery. I do intend to make serious changes to my lifestyle, including eating healthier and working out. I am hopeful that at my age, and considering that I only just meet the criteria for surgery, that I will not experience a lot of sagging after the surgery. Does anyone have any experience with it? Does working out help the process? Does anyone have a story where they were a similar weight and could provide some insight?

Any and all comments and opinions are welcomed!

I'm 5'5" and started out at 238 (BMI 39). I am exactly one year out and am very pleased with my skin. I initially had saggy jowls, turkey neck and bat wings that fortunately tightened up after 6-7 months. I have very little excess tummy skin that I really only notice if I bend over. My boobs, butt and legs are another story. I went from DD cup to B cup, but most of that DD skin is still there. I'd probably be in a training bra if it weren't for all the skin stuffed in the B cup. I carried most of my weight low and completely lost my ass. All that skin is now sagged at the bottom of my former butt and my thigh skin is kind of pooled at my knees. But basically, as long as I don't wear shorts or mini skirts, none of my saggy skin actually shows. Not bad for a 48 year old! I don't weight train or work out, (which, BTW is supposed to help) but I did use body lotions that are supposed to promote collagen formation (DMEA and stretch mark formulas for my thighs, tummy and arms, and Q10 anti-wrinkle sensitive skin for my face and neck). Don't know if it made any difference, but at least my sagging skin is super soft ????

For aesthetic purposes, my before and after shots don't show the saggy parts

post-182221-14182726205506_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kindle

My starting weight was close to yours. (245 at my highest). I was also 25 when I had the surgery (no children).

Some things that may help this skin:

-moisturizers (I use lotion every time I jump out the shower)

- not having stretch marks (I had them)

- hydration (drinking Water = healthy skin cells)

- exfoliation (I used Fat Girl Scrub or Fresh Sugar Scrub)

- exercise (I am extremely fit and train most days per week)

- genetics (blah blah)

- youth. ;)

- healthy eating (I do eat very well)

- and depending on how long you were overweight for, may make a difference in elasticity

All that being said, my skin sags-- under my arms, my poor little boobs, between my thighs, and my stomach is terrible. I'm not at all trying to be negative. I just appreciate the truth. Truth is... Most people who are extremely successful will have saggy skin. And of course, you won't know until you are at goal (in my case, after I exceeded my goal.)

Currently I'm trying to fill in as much looseness with muscle before my plastics (hopefully towards the end of 2015)

Hope this kinda helps. :)

I was 29 when I had surgery. I weighed 237 and I am 5'3. One year after surgery, was one week after I had my first plastics surgery. At that point I was around 153, and 3 months after my first plastics surgery I just had my second plastics surgery when I started at 137. I was SO bummed about how I looked. My boobs were saggy, my stomach was saggy, my arms had huge wings, and my thighs were a nightmare. I think a major factor for me was that I had lost and gained weight numerous times, which likely did not do great things for my skin elasticity. In hindsight though, I was 137 about 4 years ago and my pictures really don't look that much different than I looked before plastics. I think it really has to do a lot with genetics. Also, you're young! Drink Water, do weight work and cardio, and think about all those women on the Biggest Loser who are not only older than you but bigger than you and come out of it looking totally ripped without surgery. If they can do it, so can you. :)

Wherever you have stretch marks, don't be surprised if you have loose skin in those areas too. It may or may not firm up some with time/exercise/moisturizers/etc, but it's probably never going to look like it wasn't stretched at some point. The areas where I didn't have stretch marks bounced back pretty well, but wherever I had them is a hot mess. Basically, my body now looks much like my body before.. only smaller and less full. All the rolls I had prior to surgery are still there, they're just no longer filled with fat like they previously were. It's definitely not perfect, but even still.. it's a vast improvement!

thank you to everyone who took the time to comment back. I'm going to be honest, I am a littttle discouraged at your responses but am super grateful for all of your honesty. Do any of you have any additional photos without clothes/partially clothed before and after? I am curious to see the sagging in a picture for reference.

Like I said, thank you again- it really isn't changing my perspective on the surgery, just because my health and overall fitness/happiness is way more important, but it is good to be prepared mentally and emotionally in addition to physically.

Glad to see this thread! I posted a question about caring for your skin during weight loss and didn't get much response at all.

I have to say, you might be surprised at how well your body responds to, not everyone has the same post weight loss sagginess, especially when they start out young and with as low a BMI with you have. I'm 53 and began at 289 with a BMI of 48.5 almost 8 months ago. I have been working a lot, and now I run three days a week and hit the gym three days a week, and at my six month check back (which only happened last week) The doc said she was amazed at how little saggy skin I was having and how good it was. Absolutely I wish my thighs didn't have those little wrinkles where they look deflated, and I definitely wish my breasts didn't sag soooo low and flat-like, but my stomach saggy isn't too bad and even though my butt is nearly flat now, there's no wrinkly saggy stuff on it. My arms have always been an area I was super insecure about because they were so fat, and I have never worn a sleeveless shirt my entire adult life. At Thanksgiving though I did! And although they are not perfect, they look slim and well toned, and I am very proud of my 100+ weight loss! Since you are 25 and starting out at a lower BMI, please don't assume you will end up looking awful or absolutely have to have plastic surgery. You might be pleasantly surprised -- just get moving and in weight training, lots of hydration, and lots of firming lotion. Everything all the other posts recommended basically. Luck on your upcoming appointment.

Kate

My 3 yr Bandanniversary is this week ( 3 years already ????) , I was 53 yrs old, 225 lbs on a 5'3 body and what little saggy skin I do have I think is mostly genetics. I ' m btwn 160-165 lbs and am just a little saggy but that may be due to age too. Skin wise im a bit saggy in the arms ( no sleeveless for me), a bit saggy in the upper thigh ( I wore just above the knee shorts on vacation this year, they looked okay !) and I have a bit of a saggy tummy. Oh. Well. So im not wearing a bikini again. Oh darn. But hey ! I ve got a stronger healthier body than I ve had in years !!! I'll take that over perfect skin anyday !

You have the advantage of youth on your side. I had my surgery on 12/23/2013 at 5'4" and 235 pounds to start. I am one of those slow losers, but very happily down 65 pounds at this point. My goal weight is 135, but many folks set a goal that is closer to 160 or 170. I just turned 63.

I like the shape of my face now. My boobs went from 44D to 36 B and sag only a little, not enough that I would want a lift. After all, at 63 I don't really care. My arm flaps are not too bad either, as I try to keep up with strength training. If I push off of the second stairstep, I can do twenty push-ups

I can see the wrinkles in my thighs, but it is not so bad that I can't wear shorts next summer. My belly has deflated some and has shifted downward to where I am starting to define a waist, but the belly of pants is fuller than I want.

One thing I have been doing is exfoliating in the shower and moisturizing afterwards. Can't guarantee that is is helping the elasticity of my skin, but I tell you what - my skin is soft as velvet.

As I go into my second year, I am hoping to be able to increase my strength training to incorporate more leg work. I have orthopedic and post-stroke balance issues that make it unsafe for me to go walking the neighborhood by myself, but I have designed a fitness trail for the back yard so that I can increase my outside exercse in the spring of 2015.

Because I still have 35-40 pounds to go, I will reserve judgement on belly sagging. I am hoping for the best and that strength training will pay off. Ernestine Sheperd (the 75 year old body builder) is my inspiration.

I already have stretch marks on my stomach, about to my belly button. I do not have very visible one on my boobs but I know they're there. How do stretchmarks react to the weightloss?

Is it the weight loss that causes the sagging, or how fast you're losing weight?

Good afternoon!

I'm only two weeks post op so I can not offer you my experiences as of yet from surgery. I'm 25, started with a BMI of 40, am 5'9. I am hopeful as you are that the skin will not be too much of an issue.

About 5 years ago when I was 20, I did lose about 100lbs and at that time my skin looked good! Went back nice and taut for the most part. I didn't have overly fluttery bat wings, my thighs had no excess, I had a very little bit of loose skin on my tummy, so much so that I had no problem wearing a bikini.

I'm hoping this time around it will be similar and I will not gain 100lbs in a 4 year frame. I'm expecting the worst, that I may need to eventually get plastics, but hoping for the best, that it won't be an issue. I know this is the right decision overall for my health as a priority, so that's what I'm sticking with!

Good Luck!

@@bangbangbarbie your age is definitely in your favor. The quality of your skin is another factor. I had body contouring to get rid of my excess skin and fat. So feel free to ask any questions about that if you are interested.