Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One-year anniversary today! (with pics :D)

It's been an amazing year. I'm in genuine awe over how this process has affected every aspect of my life.

The biggest impact is of course that my life expectancy has dramatically improved. My polycistic ovarian syndrome, insulin resistance, and depression were spiraling out of control. I was 25 years old and on a fast track to knee surgeries, diabetes, and other co-morbidities. I honestly don't think I would have made it much past 50.

These days I'm active, healthy, confident, and happy. I had my one-year follow-up appointment Monday, and my lab work was all perfect. They don't need to see me for a year, so now every doctor is on an annual basis. That blows my freaking mind. I've made many new good friends: with members and trainers at my gym, with support group peers, people here on bariatic pal, and with fellow Obesity Action Coalition convention attendees. I traveled to Orlando for the convention in September and learned so much much more about our disease, and I will be at the 2015 convention in San Antonio. I'm even putting feelers out for a possible career in obesity prevention and treatment.

I've attached a few before and after comparisons. My husband hasn't had surgery, but he's lost about 65 pounds of his own. He joins me three times a week for boot camp and is 100% supportive of keeping foods out of the house and our vocabulary. I couldn't ask for a better partner! I also attached a comparison of photos I took with my cat... The Oct. 2013 photo is profound to me, because it epitomizes the cloud of depression and shame I was living in. I was literally hiding myself behind my kitten. I've come so so far.

My highest ever documented weight was 289 lbs. Start of process, I was 268, and day of surgery I was at 254.

This morning, I weighed 142.4 lbs, only two pounds from goal. It would have sounded good to meet my goal at my one-year anniversary, but this morning I was my lowest ever, which I'm more than happy with. In total I've lost 147 lbs (at least) and weigh less than half of what I did.

My body's set-point is forever 289+, and I'll always have to manage my obesity. Today I'm happy and proud as hell, and I'm confident that I'll maintain this new healthy and fulfilling life.

Comparison.jpg

Comparison with Matt.jpg

Comparison with Willow.jpg

Congratulations! You look great!!

You look beautiful! Congratulations on hitting your one year.

congrats!!

Congratulations on a very successful year! You look wonderful, and I know you feel even better!!!

Wow! Amazing transformation! Thank you so much for sharing your story ♡

You look amazing. So happy for you!

You look fantastic!

Fabulous

Congratulations! It's so great that you have not only helped yourself, but that you are reaching out to help others. And I love your kitty pictures....she got bigger and fluffier while you got smaller and un-fluffier.

Wow!! This is such an inspiration for those of us who have yet to start down the road of happiness and begin to live! I must say you look your age now on the before pictures you looked quite a few years older!!! Give yourself 147 pats on the back 1 for every pound you said good bye to forever!! REALLY you are an inspiration!!You have reassured me in my decision! ! Thanks!!!