Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my surgery in Nov 2003 and I have lost approx 35lbs, most of the weight loss was in the first 3 or 4 months, it is now going very slowly. My surgeon filled the band to its maximum during surgery, so I have not had any fills. I can honestly say that sometimes I don't feel as though I have a band, it seems to be very temperamental. People that know I have had the surgery look at me as if I should be losing weight at a very fast rate, even the surgeon said I should be doing better than I was, so I don't see him any more either. Has anyone else had this experience? or perhaps I should just be grateful for the 35lb loss! All said and done though I am glad I had the surgery, because I feel that I will lose more weight it is just going to be slow.

I would love to hear from fellow Bandsters.

I would be glad for the 35 lbs.-- and then talk to my doctor again. It sounds strange that you were filled to the max at surgery. What size band do you have? Could it be you just had the maximum fill for time of surgery? I'd want to have a talk with my doctore and check to see that everything is all right. If it is, then carry on with the pace you're at with no worries. :cool:

Janie, what type of band do you have and where is your Banding dr.? Is he convenient for you to get to for follow-ups? Have you been fighting depression? Do you get regular exercise? What does an average day's meals consist of? Have you tried tracking your meals and exercise on Fitday.com? Sometimes this gives you some insight. Please don't get discouraged! You've lost 35 lbs.! Would you have lost that without your band? Best of luck to you! :cool:

hi, i don't know if you problem is like mine, but. i had to be very honest with myself . because, i was breaking every rule , in the book , and eating the wrong things, 5 or 6times a day, and got stuck on 30 lbs. i blamed every one but, myself, because, i had the band and i could hide ,behind it, i know it works and i had to face the facts about myself , as i read about all these people, who stuggle every day the same way i was, be for the band , i just did not want to let go. of a new and better and healthier life. i was so use to and was comfortable ,with my old one, it works , yes, you will, get down, and feel sorry,for yourself,cause , nobody does. but, in the long run, you will live. and enjoy, your health and fresh air , and not tire out , i wise i could help you, cause, but, you have to keep looking for the answer and don't give up. it you do give up . being , you've gone this far. you will not like yourself. throw caution to the wind as they say, and keep looking for the answer, within you or other doctors. is worth it

then write back again over here and let all of us know that you've found the answer. cause, we all have been in your shoe and the new ones will be there too. and you can help us so much.

sincerely, adoorme7

Janie, I too am very surprised your doctor would tell you your band was "filled to the max" at surgery. That goes against everything I've ever heard about banding practice. The "max" would mean you were completely closed off, for one thing. And no matter what amount of fill you were given at the time, the fact is that a lot of time and weight has gone by now. Whatever restriction you may have had at that point could easily be gone.

Your band is not designed to work without a proper amount of fill. Call your doctor!! I find that my restriction changes after I lose 15-20 lbs, and that's when I need a little adjustment. You can't say you're working with the band if you're essentially ignoring its presence. If your doctor thinks you should be fine with the amount of fill he gave you at surgery, I'd definitely suggest getting another opinion. Where are you located?

that just does not seem right-tho i am not yet banded- everyone says that 10 lbs a MONTH is normal- so i would locate another dr in the area -maybe your band is broken andthe saline sack popped? does that happen ?

that just does not seem right-tho i am not yet banded- everyone says that 10 lbs a MONTH is normal- so i would locate another dr in the area -maybe your band is broken andthe saline sack popped? does that happen ?

I Got Banded On October 5th 2004. I Feel Like I Should Be Loosing More Weight Also. I Lost 11 Pds So Far But Everyone Is Looking At Me Asking If I Really Had The Surgery.

QueenMichelle, actually 5-8 lbs a month is "normal." 10 lbs a month would be exceptional loss if it was sustained over time. And while it is possible for the reservoir to develop a leak, it's much more likely that the restriction has just faded with weight loss.

And LOVEMEACB4E, you've got to be kidding me!! You've lost 11 lbs in less than two weeks and you think you're not losing fast enough??? Relax, you're doing wonderfully. People around you will just have to lay off, and you also have lots of other things to worry about than watching the scale. Your loss will slow from this rate when you get back on solid food, and you might even gain a pound or two back. Don't panic!! This is perfectly normal and you're doing fine!!!

I Got Banded On October 5th 2004. I Feel Like I Should Be Loosing More Weight Also. I Lost 11 Pds So Far But Everyone Is Looking At Me Asking If I Really Had The Surgery.

October 5th is only just over 2 weeks ago. Sheesh! The average weight loss for the lapband is 5-10 lbs per month. You are well within that range. The RNY would have gone very much faster, and you'd be a heck of a lot less healthy too. You're right on target!

Janie-

From everything I've read, your band should NOT have been filled to the max during surgery. They used to fill them half way during surgery, and now they mostly don't put in any fill at all. I had .6 cc's of Fluid in my 4cc band after surgery. I would say you need to schedule an appointment with a surgeon for a fill, and have them tell you what is in your band. When I got my first fill, they first too everything out to make sure they knew what was in it, before putting anything in, so maybe you can have a doc do that for you? Keep us posted please. I'll be curious to see if you find anything out.

LOVEMEACB4E - I think you are panicing! Here's what 'they' say: Any weight loss before your first fill is a bonus. So you are 11 lbs ahead of schedule. :) Also... I saw a post where you said you were eatin' pizza. I know someone else said something similar to this elsewhere, but you really need to be careful. If you are eating solid foods before your body is fully healed, you could pop a stitch or slip your band. I wasn't on solid foods for a least a month. Some people are sooner than that, and other have to wait 6 weeks. Always keep first in mind what your surgeon told you, but also keep our friendly advice in mind. :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your replies. I live in Perth, Western Australia. The surgeon I had did definately say that there would be no fills once I had the surgery. I can't remember what type of band I had fitted. I have'nt seen the surgeon as I got the impression he thought I could do better, so typically I have backed off, I really should pluck up courage and go see him as I would like to know if I have the port in seeing as it has never been used! I didnt know that once I had lost weight the band may not work as well. Trust me am I the only one out there who is'nt getting the follow up. I think I was so grateful that I was getting the surgery and that it was going to be the ultimate "cure" I just went for it, obviously I did'nt do enough research.

Dr M Baumwol

05/11/2003

113kg 92kg

Perth. Western Australia

Hi Marie,

Thanks for the advice, I had not heard of fitday.com I will look at it. I will probably contact my surgeon again and ask his advice on a fill.

The surgeon I had did definately say that there would be no fills once I had the surgery.

Things may be done differently in Australia, but this is absolutely NOT the protocol for banding as far as I am familiar with it. PLEASE contact them again and find out more about what sort of band was installed and what its proper usage is.

This is very surprising! There are lots of Australian bandsters and this is the first time I've ever heard of a doctor saying something so weird.

Hi,

I had my surgery Dec 10, 2003 in Baton Rouge, La. I live in Panama City, Florida. The trip to get a fill is 4-41/2 hour drive, longer now since the hurricane in September destroyed the I - 10 bridge in Pensacola. I have only lost 40lbs. Some days I am happy with this because at least I haven't gained and before the surgery I was steady gaining. I feel I am in more control. I think the reason my loss has been so slow is that it is hard to get the fills I need. I work 60 + hours a week and have 2 kids that are well involved in after school activities and my husband works just as much as I. The only day my Dr. schedules for fills is on Fridays, this is the busiest day of the week for me so I am not able to go as i should. I hope that one day there will be a doctor closer so i won't have the long drive and can get the proper timely fills. I have no regrets for the surgery as i said before I am just glad not to have gained. I get discouraged because people think of this as gastric bypass and I haven't lost what they expect and get alot of grief from that but, there has always been issues with my weight my entire life so, I'm not going to let it bother me anymore. If I only lost 1 lb a month I will be happy that I have not gained.