Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long did you have someone to help out at home post-op?

My surgery is Monday 12/8. My husband arranged to work from home for all of next week, should that be sufficient? When the 15th comes around, I'll have to be able to get my 10 year old & 6 yr old ready for school. They walk to & from, so I won't have to drive any where. I'm just wondering if I need to arrange for someone to come stay with me the second week home.

Not really. I was able to care for myself from the day I went home. The only assistance I needed was putting the trash out the first week I was home because I'd done extra house cleaning and prep before going into surgery so the trash that week was heavier than usual. My sister came over before work and put my garbage out. Other than that, I was fine.

I'm on day 9, and there were some things that might have been great to have someone around for during the first week, but my support person had something going on and nearly tossed me out of a moving car in a rush to get home when I got released, lol.

I'd say at this point, the only thing I need help with is lifting heavier stuff (laundry basket, trash bag, dog food) and getting things that are down on the floor (it still hurts to bend over). But that's what the kids are for, right? ;)

Good luck to you!!

I didn't have anyone at home and did not need or want anyone at home. Other than having my housekeeper do an extra visit to take care of some things that involved heavy lifting such as changing the kitty litter. I don't know, I am kind of grouchy and independent, the last thing I wanted was someone hovering over me and being solicitous and trying to take care of me!

You all rock. I've had incision issues but haven't wanted to be alone yet. But today I will be. Actually my pitbull and chihuahua haven't left my side and won't. Best nursemaids ever.

You all rock. I've had incision issues but haven't wanted to be alone yet. But today I will be. Actually my pitbull and chihuahua haven't left my side and won't. Best nursemaids ever.

post-242242-14177163209987_thumb.jpg post-242242-14177163534407_thumb.jpg

I like living alone. I had a visiting nurse 2x's a week for the first 2 weeks checking on my incisions. I was able to clean the litter box and feed my cat.

Thanks for all the input! My 10 yr old is pretty self sufficient, but my 6 yo daughter still clings to Mommy and wants to climb on my lap, etc. I have several other illnesses, so my husband is already helping with the housework. I have a feeling I may get tired of him being at home with me the whole week ????.

Hi,

Im also wondering the same thing. If I am able to get back to normal wife/mother duties once home from the hospital.

I have my husband but he is pretty much useless when it comes to caring for the kids, housework and cooking etc ????

I am overly worried about my two young boys. They have never had to cope without me.

I no I will be worried and anxious after surgery and just want to get home to look after them.

arrange for someone to come stay with me the second week home.

@@ChronicJam

holy moly bud :o

you are having surgery this monday!! :o

the common expression that is said "everyone is different" is boring :blink: but true :)

i have heard of people here saying they had surgery on a friday

back to work on monday :o

couple of people out patient

up and around quickly

people recover at their own pace

no "normal time" for recovery

some people take 1, 2, 3 weeks + to improve

i "think" the average might be 1-2 weeks

i was up and back to "normal" :lol: in about 10 days :)

you have two younger kids

wouldn't be a bad idea if you "warned" your mom/friend that you "might" need a little help :)

to get the younguns ready for school etc :)

if no one else is available.,,,,,,

give me a hollar

i'll come over as soon as possible :)

I have references!

good luck monday

speedy recovery

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

I am alone. I stocked up on my food and did my laundry beforehand. I really mostly slept the first week. You will be tired, in pain, and have limited mobility. Let someone else cook for the family, and wash dishes and clothes. It's easy to overdo. Don't do it. It will delay your recovery.

Edited by JCP

I think you should be fine with no help. I was essentially "on vacation" in TJ with my sister for the first 2 days, flew home the 3rd day and was on my own after that. Drove home from the airport 5 hours in a snowstorm, plowed the driveway with my ATV, went grocery shopping, got my hair cut, took care of 3 dogs, 2 cats and 2 horses and back to work in 7 days.

I was sleeved on 11/20 and my mom came to stay with me. I live in the Midwest and she came in from California for just over 2 weeks. The first 3 days were the worst for me a d she kept me on my meds schedule (pain and anti nausea). By day 3 I was feeling so good that she ended up keeping me from over doing it and hurting myself. I am the type of person who does everything on my own so she has helped remind me that during healing I have limits. But this second week with her has been very vacation like :)