Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is a stall even possible?

I am only 2 and 1/2 weeks post op so a newby but I just can't fathom how anyone can have a stall! I know it happens, I know it will happen to me very soon ( based on the whole 3 week curse)! If we only take in 500 calories....how do we have a stall?

I know what you mean. I had a 5-6 day stall my second week out. I am just glad I am back to losing again :) You will be losing again soon. Good luck!

Summer

How can we have stalls?

Because our bodies are not automobiles. They do not get X miles to the gallon with every 3,500 calories. They are MUCH more complicated than cars. And they're very effed up after having 85% of their stomachs cut out ... and after sucking in all those IV fluids ... and then losing all those IV fluids and some actual fat and some very real muscle to the tune of 10-20 LBs lost in the first few weeks after surgery ... and sitting around being prone and sedentary plus ... and taking opioids during and after our hospital stay and early recovery.

Your body is designed to survive and when starvation occurs, it will convert stores of fat to energy yes, but even more, it will start doing things like converting starch to sugar. That is right, when you starve yourself which is what consuming 500 calories is, your body responds by slowing your metabolism and conserving energy. That also means you will eventually enjoy things such as hair loss and fatigue. Your initial weight loss is related to the loss of hospital fluids and the glycogen stores your body normally keeps in muscles for short term energy. When you lose that glycogen, you lose the Water that keeps it Fluid in your muscles. Your body will eventually rebuild the stores plus the Water it takes to store it, hence a stall. Some people even gain weight during this time. Make sure to consume Protein and start upping your calories as directed.

Pretty good explanation!! It is still odd that one can intake such a small amount of calories and still have a stall!! Here's hoping I don't have one!

From WebMD: "As your weight goes down, you not only lose fat but also a small amount of muscle. It’s estimated that up to 25% of the body tissue lost during weight loss comes from muscle. Since muscle is critical to keeping your metabolism perking, losing it can reduce your metabolic rate and hinder weight loss."

So basically, it happens. The important thing is to keep following the program, sensible eating and exercise. Your body adjusts and you get past the stall. It is also good to remember that even though the scale in not moving, you may be losing inches and gaining muscle. Weight loss is not the only sign of improving health!

Makes much more sense now!! Thanks for the informative responses!

I hit the stall just after 3 weeks. I've been holding at my current weight during the dreaded stall, but have been losing inches. I've dropped 3 sizes in clothes. I was sleeved on 4 November. Can't wait to start seeing the scales continue the downward trend I saw in the beginning of this journey.

I am a little over 5 weeks post op and have been losing every week so far. I am hoping to not have a stall but I know that will almost be impossible. I have lost 37lbs so far.

So when that dreaded time comes I hope I can just remember to keep doing things right and the weight will start coming of again. This is one reason I take my measurements too!!